WT170 metering lever height

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the 55 I would take a close look at the impulse grommet.

Well that could be it but it is a fresh build with a new grommet and new intake sleeve. I have seen those grommets in pretty bad shape, but it is such an indefinite system I am not sure I would know if a good looking new one were leaking or not. It fires always on choke, then usually on high idle, then runs a bit and dies. It will restart and die. All this with the low needle at 1-1/2 open high 1-1/4. Opening the low needle makes it run just a bit longer.

Fuel line? Carb gaskets all the right ones? Sounds like a supply issue. Level sounds right but take a small straight edge and double check. Is the impulse passage clean all the way through? Just things I've ran into.

Take the carb back apart. Remove the lever/spring/needle, and hold up to a light and look through the passage under the needle, it is possibly partially clogged. Blow it out, then hold up to a light again.
Re-assemble.
Here is a pic of the tool. Take the carb by a shop and ask to borrow the tool, or buy one.

walbro.jpg

Harley T, how much farther does the center leg extend beyond the outer ones?

I can see that the correct height is below the floor of the well, and that is where mine is sitting, about a quarter of a millimetre.

It is 1.75mm or .680"( Edit: should have been 0.068"). It is also the same as Z-tool tab for the C1, C1S, C2, C2S. As you see that is going to hard to measure by eye. This W-tool gauge and the Z-tool are fairly inexpensive to obtain and anyone working on these carburetors should have one of each.

The metering lever is usually level with the floor or if it well (the area where the lever retracts into) below the floor has ridge around it even with that ridge.

As running out fuel the metering lever height usually affect the idle mixture first. If set too low you will be too lean for it to idle for long or if set too high causing flooding at idle.

That's what I needed. Thanks for the numbers. Mine is about level, definitely not 1.75mm below (that would be 0.068?) so it is set too high. But it is not flooding. I will fix it anyway and go on with the search, maybe try a another carb first before I pull the partition. I have no idea how many cycles those grommets are good for, but I don't want to stretch it out, crush it down by pulling it apart if I don't need to.

Y0ur right it a typo on my part. Hard to see sometimes without my readers.

Readers, me too, and typoes too too. But more importantly, I thank you for providing a measure. Mine was off. Sixty-eight thousandths-- I can work with that. And I will do something about getting or making a measuring tool.

I found a piece of wire of the appropriate diameter and used it to reset the metering, with no improvement, so I put a Zama carb on in its place and now the 55 runs fine, so I guess the Walbro needs a diaphragm, or maybe more. Thanks for all the help.

Back