WT170 metering lever height

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BigDee

BigDee

ArboristSite Guru
. AS Supporting Member.
Well that could be it but it is a fresh build with a new grommet and new intake sleeve. I have seen those grommets in pretty bad shape, but it is such an indefinite system I am not sure I would know if a good looking new one were leaking or not. It fires always on choke, then usually on high idle, then runs a bit and dies. It will restart and die. All this with the low needle at 1-1/2 open high 1-1/4. Opening the low needle makes it run just a bit longer.

huskyslinger

huskyslinger

xp390
Fuel line? Carb gaskets all the right ones? Sounds like a supply issue. Level sounds right but take a small straight edge and double check. Is the impulse passage clean all the way through? Just things I've ran into.

HarleyT
Take the carb back apart. Remove the lever/spring/needle, and hold up to a light and look through the passage under the needle, it is possibly partially clogged. Blow it out, then hold up to a light again.
Re-assemble.
Here is a pic of the tool. Take the carb by a shop and ask to borrow the tool, or buy one.

walbro.jpg

AVB

ArboristSite Operative
It is 1.75mm or .680"( Edit: should have been 0.068"). It is also the same as Z-tool tab for the C1, C1S, C2, C2S. As you see that is going to hard to measure by eye. This W-tool gauge and the Z-tool are fairly inexpensive to obtain and anyone working on these carburetors should have one of each.

The metering lever is usually level with the floor or if it well (the area where the lever retracts into) below the floor has ridge around it even with that ridge.

As running out fuel the metering lever height usually affect the idle mixture first. If set too low you will be too lean for it to idle for long or if set too high causing flooding at idle.

BigDee

BigDee

ArboristSite Guru
. AS Supporting Member.
That's what I needed. Thanks for the numbers. Mine is about level, definitely not 1.75mm below (that would be 0.068?) so it is set too high. But it is not flooding. I will fix it anyway and go on with the search, maybe try a another carb first before I pull the partition. I have no idea how many cycles those grommets are good for, but I don't want to stretch it out, crush it down by pulling it apart if I don't need to.

Latest posts