X-Tough (not light) bar info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wombat Ranger

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I bought one of these recently online, but I have not seen them much on shelves. The color scheme looks a lot like the laminated "farm-tough" bars, but it is (according to the description) a much higher quality, professional grade bar. As far as pricing goes, a step above the Oregon Powercut Husqvarna bars, just below the top tier Sugihara Husqvarna X-tough light line. Described as solid chromoly construction.

Who makes these?

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/bars/x-tough-3-8-solid-rsn-bar-xtr/?article=596688272

It's a solid milled Husky bar, should compete with Cannon I guess.
Solid milled bars are good for milling/ripping, perhaps not so lightweight and agile though.
The solid bars I have (for milling) is quite thick, stiff and "heavy"... and that's at 20".

If you look at the inlays that are milled out there exact match with Sugihara bars , from other people have said the same thing made by Sugihara but maybe not to
I don't see any inlays milled out on that Husky bar... no that's a proper solid bar as far as I can see. Like a Cannon.
Not saying Cannon made it though... it says Husqvarna.

If you look at the inlays that are milled out there exact match with Sugihara bars , from other people have said the same thing made by Sugihara but maybe not to
The ones shown are the non-light version. The X-Tough Light bars are the light Sugiharas, these are just the standard version.

I have one and it is inlay free and definitely different from the old Husky Oregon bars. Kinda looks like a Sugi nose but I’m not sure. It’s also labeled made in Canada. SG does the light version say Canada or Japan on it?

My theory is that Husqvarna, is partnered with Sugi now instead of Oregon but Sugi is helping Husqvarna manufacture their own bars. If mine said Japan I’d say Sugi for sure but the Canadian label makes me wonder. Although I think to sell a saw in Canada a manufacturer has to have a certain number of Canadian parts. Which is why Canadian Stihl bars used to be relabeled Oregon bars.

Look at pic of bar

Do you remember on the package or does it say where the bar was made? This is something I have also been trying to figure out after I got my x tough. A quick search shows that the lightweight x tough has a 5 rivet nose, the standard x tough is a a nicely stout 6 rivet. Now that I’m looking more, I can’t really find a non light weight sugi or a sugi with 6 rivets. The nose looks similar but I can’t find any direct copy like with the light weight bar. This might be all Husky production with or without a little help from from Sugi, but I don’t think they’re relabeled Japanese bars.

I’m very happy with my 24 inch x tough but only time will tell what it’s really worth.

Back