X27 $27

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or, as happened to me, I spotted an X27 on a shelf with a price of around 27. I had already bought one so left it there. Turns out that there is something else with name X27 (?Printer cartridge?) and price was for that.

Yes, Wal Mart carries the x27. I just googled it.

Harry K

That's funny kinda sorta, revenge against the machine!

I haven't stepped into a Wal-Mart in years and have no plans to do so in the future. Among the many other things they do, they cheapen up products. It may or may not be the case with the Fiskars, but you can find what appears to be the same product there, but they built it to "Wal-mart" specs - poorer paint, thinner steel, weaker plastic - all in the name of having a cheaper price versus the competition...

As I said, I don't know if the Fiskars are cheapened up and built to "Wal-Mart" specs, but I'm not gonna take that chance.

The right thing. You knew the price was more than that, she made a simple mistake. Then you came on here to brag about how you got away it. Congrats.

maybe, maybe not, who knows. I have gotten some steep discounted stuff at walmart. heck, look what Christmas decoration stuff goes for after new years, or leftover valentines day candy and stuff. who knows how and why they mark articles down. last on the shelf, not going to stock it again, whatever.

I know our local tractor supply was carrying a lot of fiskars tools at one time, then one month they marked them all down severely, now..no fiskars. Why, who knows. they just did it with husqvarna labeled products when they switched to jonsered, BIG discounts. I got a new 435 for less than the internet "refurb" models go for. Mistake? Nope, just..part of modern retailing.

Mistakes can be made of course, but it isn't the customers duty to run their computers for them.

Now I can see if they rang up the axe and it came out to $8.97 or something, a completely ridiculous obvious mistake, but really, 27 bucks might be their wholesale cost and just wanted it out of the aisle for something else. Or it got coded in wrong, who knows. Up to them to get their ducks in a row though, and they ain't losing money, never.

We don't know what walmart gets their merchandise for. Closest I have for an anecdotal is the last place we lived, we bought a small chest freezer from a local dealer. He was going out of the (insert particular name brand) appliance business, after being in it for decades. He told me that walmart could (and was locally) retail the same things he was selling for LESS than what he could get them for wholesale from his distributor, so he just dropped the line. Bought from him anyway, his last model that size we wanted, one of the small jobbies. He gave us a small discount, but I checked later and he was telling the truth, walmart for the same thing was much less. Small local guys just can't compete with their wholesale buying power. Their scale is simply off the charts hugemongous. Service is the only way to compete with the huge boxstores for most things.

We don't know what walmart gets their merchandise for. Closest I have for an anecdotal is the last place we lived, we bought a small chest freezer from a local dealer. He was going out of the (insert particular name brand) appliance business, after being in it for decades. He told me that walmart could (and was locally) retail the same things he was selling for LESS than what he could get them for wholesale from his distributor, so he just dropped the line. Bought from him anyway, his last model that size we wanted, one of the small jobbies. He gave us a small discount, but I checked later and he was telling the truth, walmart for the same thing was much less. Small local guys just can't compete with their wholesale buying power. Their scale is simply off the charts hugemongous. Service is the only way to compete with the huge boxstores for most things.

Walmart headquarters is right down the road from here and you have to jump through a zillion hoops to get an appointment to see a buyer and if you get to see a buyer they tell you what they will pay for your goods.

JT

Walmart headquarters is right down the road from here and you have to jump through a zillion hoops to get an appointment to see a buyer and if you get to see a buyer they tell you what they will pay for your goods.

JT

And then once you're selling to them and depending on them to buy your goods, they'll tell you how much less they're gonna pay you. My Mennonite neighbor had a cousin in PA that sold potato chips to them. After selling to them a couple years and expanding production to meet their needs, They told him that they're gonna pay him even less per bag. "But feel free to reduce the amount of chips in the bag if you have to... Make sure the bag stays the same size, though." It was a hardship after spending the money to expand production, but he stopped selling to them. They didn't care.

And then once you're selling to them and depending on them to buy your goods, they'll tell you how much less they're gonna pay you. My Mennonite neighbor had a cousin in PA that sold potato chips to them. After selling to them a couple years and expanding production to meet their needs, They told him that they're gonna pay him even less per bag. "But feel free to reduce the amount of chips in the bag if you have to... Make sure the bag stays the same size, though." It was a hardship after spending the money to expand production, but he stopped selling to them. They didn't care.

:arg: OF, I'm in!

The Man Who Said No To Walmart

THIS is exactly why I made my decision to purchase Snapper's for my last two mower purchases. Just say no!!!

:clap:

The Walmart up in kingsport ten has the x27. That's where mine came from. It was $49.

:arg: OF, I'm in!

The Man Who Said No To Walmart

THIS is exactly why I made my decision to purchase Snapper's for my last two mower purchases. Just say no!!!

:clap:

Interesting story, love to read about other businesses and try to learn something. But if that's a reason you choose not to like walmart I don't get it, both companies are trying to do the same things almost exactly, more sales with less people. They must have changed their minds too cause Walmart sells Snapper now.....

Interesting story, love to read about other businesses and try to learn something. But if that's a reason you choose not to like walmart I don't get it, both companies are trying to do the same things almost exactly, more sales with less people. They must have changed their minds too cause Walmart sells Snapper now.....

Hmmm... Show me where I stated I "choose not to like walmart" as you indicate. Tsk, tsk, tsk...

My comments were related to a CEO taking a very brave stand against a behemoth with a history of putting vendors and competitors into bankruptcy. He said "no".

This had nothing to do with "more with less" and "both companies are trying to do the same things almost exactly" is just incorrect.

Your intent is not missed, but just being ignored.

Moving on...

Oh yeah? Well right after this I'm ignoring your response too, pshhh pshhh

Going to wade in here after a long hiatus. Might as well make a splash.

The right thing. You knew the price was more than that, she made a simple mistake. Then you came on here to brag about how you got away it. Congrats.

This.

I wasn't trying to get one over on Walmart, the manager made me an offer and I accepted it.

Offer? That wasn't your original story at all.

She comes back and says the nearest thing I can find is $27.95 does that sound right and I nod my head

That's not an offer, she's asking if the price she thinks is correct sounds correct to you.

An offer is, "I can't find a price for this, would you take it for $27.95?"

And really, your position is that with 365 posts, you didn't know the most-discussed model axe was almost twice the price?

I don't feel bad about accepting the offer in any way.

Can't say this comes as a shock.

For those that think I did something wrong... I won't go there.

I will. Karma is a b****.

At some point in your life someone is going to take advantage of your mistake and when they do, remember your X27 and how you have zero standing to complain.

Mistakes can be made of course, but it isn't the customers duty to run their computers for them.

I agree wholeheartedly but that's not what happened. Clerk asked OP if the price she found looked right and he lied. He nodded yes when he knew it didn't look right. How can anyone look at that and call it anything but lying?

The honest thing to do -- and that's precisely what this is about, honesty -- would be to say "no, that doesn't sound right." Such a reply does not qualify as running Walmart's computers for them.

Heck, "No, but I'll take it at that price" is still 100% honest.

gotta agree with that one, anytime I get one over Walmart I figure I am just evening the playing field and getting something back.

I seem to remember a lesson from my early childhood. Something about two wrongs ...I ...can't quite remember...

Going to wade in here after a long hiatus. Might as well make a splash.

This.

Offer? That wasn't your original story at all.

That's not an offer, she's asking if the price she thinks is correct sounds correct to you.

An offer is, "I can't find a price for this, would you take it for $27.95?"

And really, your position is that with 365 posts, you didn't know the most-discussed model axe was almost twice the price?

Can't say this comes as a shock.

I will. Karma is a b****.

At some point in your life someone is going to take advantage of your mistake and when they do, remember your X27 and how you have zero standing to complain.

I agree wholeheartedly but that's not what happened. Clerk asked OP if the price she found looked right and he lied. He nodded yes when he knew it didn't look right. How can anyone look at that and call it anything but lying?

The honest thing to do -- and that's precisely what this is about, honesty -- would be to say "no, that doesn't sound right." Such a reply does not qualify as running Walmart's computers for them.

Heck, "No, but I'll take it at that price" is still 100% honest.

I seem to remember a lesson from my early childhood. Something about two wrongs ...I ...can't quite remember...

You neve rknow on pricing. I have seen walmart discount stuff to ridiculous cheap when they were getting rid of seasonal stuff. And TSC just blew out a lot of husky gear at near give away prices.

$7.95 would have been obviously way lowballed, $27.95 might be a wholesale price they were blowing out the last one on the shelf for.

I bought my fiskars shovel at TSC for 30 and tax, a month or so later, for some reason, TSC here stopped stocking anything fiskars except the sharpener and discounted everything they had, the shovels went to $19.99.

I understand your point and sorta agree, but you just never know with these huge companies either. To me, 30 bucks for a fiskars axe is a "get rid of it" price point, have seen them as low as 40 bucks online at full retail on amazon, and upwards of almost 70 bucks in a mom and pop walki in store! 50 is an average retail price, but 27 isn't that far out of line either.

I am not seeing a terrible wrong here, but perhaps a situation taken advantag of.

go to a yard sale, see a deal on something you know is rare, a collectable. do you buy it at the asked for price, or tell the people, "hey, this old ratty book is a first edition blabh by blah bah and is worth over a grand!!!

had a buddy of mine did that with jewelry, he was so knowledgable about old pieces he could breeze fast through junk shops and yard sales, pick up some the gaudiest looking things for fifty cents or a buck, etc. They were so ostentatious and gaudy the owners didn't even bother to have them checked, most were nice old white gold or low K yellow with heaps of real stones, precious or at least semi precious, worth much more than 50 cents or a buck.

His call to tell the people that, or take the deal?

Look at the daily "saw scores" posted with a "you suck" series of commentary. All of them were getting a cheap price on a more valuable object.

Really, I know what you are saying, and I agree to a small point, just not seeing a really big customer gouges walmart here. Most likely they came dang close to breaking even.

Would I have done it, last on the shelf, no price, asked if that sounded OK? This is me, real life, how I sound and act:

I would have said, "wow that's cheap, but if walmart wants to blow it out and let it go at that price I'll take it"! and would have said it jovially and laughing. If the clerk wanted to check further, swell, she can call an associated manager like experience over to double check.

*Shrugs*

Had a situation once like that in a second amendment shop, elderly lady was bringing in her husbands collection after he passed. She was only asking super stupid low ball prices, and none of us wanted her to get anything but fair. A deal for the shop, but fair. A compromise. We gave her a quick education on what was worth what, said we could pay a bit less seeing as how it was going to go up on the shelf for a profit later, she went for it, just to get rid of all of them at one shot so to speak.

I talked her into keeping a baby browning, she offered it cheap, I said and the other guys agreed, that her husband would have wanted her to keep at least one for herself.

You neve rknow on pricing. I have seen walmart discount stuff to ridiculous cheap when they were getting rid of seasonal stuff. And TSC just blew out a lot of husky gear at near give away prices.

$7.95 would have been obviously way lowballed, $27.95 might be a wholesale price they were blowing out the last one on the shelf for.

Yes but "might be" would have been an honest answer.

I am not seeing a terrible wrong here, but perhaps a situation taken advantag of.

The $27 OP shorted Walmart is FAR less disturbing than, when facing a backlash, his attempt to shift the story and when that didn't work, the attempt to justify it.

And every person reading this knows it's wrong because if we were the one getting shorted after trusting someone to be honest and they abused that trust, we'd feel wronged.

go to a yard sale, see a deal on something you know is rare, a collectable. do you buy it at the asked for price, or tell the people, "hey, this old ratty book is a first edition blabh by blah bah and is worth over a grand!!!

Of course not. But that's not what happened.

If the clerk simply rang up the item as $27 without asking OP a thing, nobody could accuse OP of taking an active hand in the deception, though I suppose we could quibble about the merits of calling the store to tell them afterward, all Abe Lincoln-y.

OP clearly mislead the clerk, thought he was slick and came here to brag about it. IMO that's pretty ***tty.

Late last year we'd just bought a new house, had a new baby, money was very tight. I was new to the forum, griping about the Classic 5036 that came with the house lying idle. gtsawyer shipped me a pair of not-a-stitch-missing Husqvarna chaps and not only didn't charge me for the chaps, he didn't charge me for the shipping.

So it makes me cringe to see OP brag about being underhanded. It makes me cringe to see OP claim to not care while changing the story to make it into something it wasn't and then act as if he doesn't know his actions were precisely what they were. It makes me cringe to see members say "it's OK to screw a store if that store is Walmart."

And it REALLY makes me cringe to see a site as great as this, with members as generous and honest as those here, not condemn it unequivocally.

I would have said, "wow that's cheap, but if walmart wants to blow it out and let it go at that price I'll take it"! and would have said it jovially and laughing. If the clerk wanted to check further, swell, she can call an associated manager like experience over to double check.

And you wouldn't hear a peep outta me.

That's my $0.02.

This thread about sums up AS during these hot summer months.

Not enough action so everyone bickers about anything and everything.

I had to wait 51 minutes for pizza tonight and the girl on the phone told me 30. FML

Good score OP!

To bodhisoma, :clap:

I agree with your ethics and values.

On Thursday I was at the golf course and we got rained out. The guy who runs the men's league was trying to reconcile winnings with all the guys inside do to the rain. He told me I had unclaimed winnings in the form of a gift card (like a credit card) and wanted me to clear the account. I told him I couldn't remember if I had collected the $16 or not. We checked my card and it had $16 on it so I declined and said my name hadn't been crossed of when I was credited. Could I have gotten another $16 credit, of course. Was it the right thing to do?

A person who will compromise their values for a small amount of money, certainly will when the stakes are higher. :(

Back