Yard cleanup nightmare.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrispy6822

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
OK I know nothing about tree doctoring sort of pruning fruit trees, but this years cleanup of the yard was a nightmare. Cleared some land 4 years back that went to lawn. Problem is the oaks that I left up. Not only in the yard, but surrounding the yard.

Long story short the acorns drive me crazy, even more so in a mast year. but the number of tiny broken branches this year, apart from the acorns, did me in. Took me nearly the whole weekend to rake them all up.

I was once told that most of the broken branches from from the lower branches. Just hack off most of the lower branches and that will solve some of it. Question is how much truth is there to that and how much can I hack off? I could care less if I stunt the tree, just not looking to kill it. Most of these trees are in the 24" to 30" range.

I ask this now as there are two larger Oaks in the middle of what will be a new yard, that I am rethinking my reasoning for leaving them there.

around here it is getting too late to safely prune oaks without chance of spreading oak wilt. Might check with local arborists and see there.

Ya I was thinking about doing something within the first week of April (one week later then the recommended deadline) due to the cold winter we had, but that is not going to happen now.

I might wait until late fall and see about taking up to 1/3 off.

ask on the homeowner helper forum about pruning options...

or get a decent backpack blower and turn that weekend of raking into a couple of hours work....

if you want to discuss it here you'd best get a 346xp, 361, 7900 and 660 and bust those trees down.... and get lots of pictures:cheers:

ask on the homeowner helper forum about pruning options...

or get a decent backpack blower and turn that weekend of raking into a couple of hours work....

if you want to discuss it here you'd best get a 346xp, 361, 7900 and 660 and bust those trees down.... and get lots of pictures:cheers:

HA I never touch a rake here. Blower and a sweeper make me super lazy. Just this year I was required to work and rake / pick up the branches.

At least two of them will come down this year.

Latest posts

Back