You guys won't believe what I found in the scrap bin this time... (041G)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brmorgan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I still don't believe it. Here she is:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I couldn't believe my eyes when I peered over the edge of the scrap bin and spied a much-coveted 041G sitting right out in plain sight! This is probably my second best find ever behind the $20 090 a couple years ago. She's seized up solid as a brick, but 041 topends are a dime a dozen, at least around here, so that shouldn't be hard to come up with. The top cover is the only thing missing (as far as I can tell, never seen a "G" before though) and I can't see any broken metal ANYWHERE, not even a bolt eye, though once it's disassembled I might find something I missed on initial inspection. Even the paint is in really good shape; the only significant bare metal is around the bottom corners as would be expected from a work saw. It even "came with" a more-or-less brand new 3/8" 24" .050 chain on it. I've been wanting another 24" Stihl mount bar for a while now too... Problem solved.

So, anything special to look out for with these saws? I'm half-hoping that it isn't truly seized but that something fell down the intake with the top off and is jamming the piston. Doubtful but plausible since there's dust buildup all over the filter plate, so the top cover's been off for a while. Either way as long as the geardrive portion is in working order, it shouldn't be too much work to restore. I'm not going to bother painting it since I don't think it's worth all the effort with it in this condition; just touch up the black "Stihl 041 G" lettering and falling guide line on the side cover I think. And some new hose for the handle. That ought to be fun! I know I can get a vanilla 041 top cover from my friend that's in good shape, but I think it'll be a long search to find a "G" cover. And spendy if/when I do find one.

I won't have time to work on this thing at all for near a week... :( It's gonna be a long one. I'll post pics when I do though.

PS anyone have an IPL or manual for these saws? I can see some significant differences right away, and not just with the geardrive portion specifically.

Oh yeah, I also got a Husky 40 and Pro Mac 605-something 55cc boat anchor, both of which were pretty busted up. Those cost me $20 because they were inside the scrapyard; this 041 was sitting out in the dropoff bin which is sitting on the public road, so I pulled it out and threw it in the trunk and didn't tell anyone a thing. I drop off plenty of other metal there anyway; give a little, take a little!

attachment.php

LOL this picture makes me think of that Sesame Street song, "One Of These Things Is Not Like The Others". I know the other two aren't much as far as saws go, but the 18" bar and chain on the Husky were worth the $20 to me, and there are still plenty of other good parts on both. The Mac would probably run; the Husky turns over really hard even without a spark plug in the cylinder; must be half-seized or the bearings shot.

SWEET SCORE!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap:

Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!

BE PROUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And it has the all illusive muffler cover!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NICE!!!!!!!!!!!

Well Brad that is a rare find indeed, congrats are in order. Today has been a good one for some, that is the second geardrive I have heard about being found in junk piles. Another AS member posted this morning about finding a Pioneer geardrive, I believe it is a 850 making it a rare one also. Both great finds in my minds eye.
Pioneerguy600

That's a great score, and yours even has the integral sprocket cover/muffler guard. That's sweet...

This must have been a widely changed model during production!
Mine all have some variation, the muff.-gear cover, carb set up, and the cover.

Thanks for the pics!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well what pleases me most is that once I find the time to get all my 041 saws and parts sorted out, I'll have the complete lineup - 041, 041AV (61cc), 041AV Super (72cc) and 041 G. Guess I could technically add an 040 to that list, though if I threw a few bucks at my parts friend I could have one of those without much trouble as well.

What's so special about the side cover? Got pics of any others?

Here's a couple!

Carb set-up.
attachment.php

Carb-set and full cover.
attachment.php

Assorted 041 muff covers.
attachment.php

Two 041G carb. covers.
attachment.php

DAM YOU and your GARBAGE CAN finds!!! GEEZE, almost as good as my free 070 in the garbage can :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

We should have a thread for garbage can finds!!

Yes, that is true. I've never seen a 041G. Sorry didn't mean it that way!

Oh no, I didn't take it that way either! Just stating my opinion.

Well at least going by some of the other posted pics, I won't worry too much about bastardizing this thing by giving it a non-"G" top cover. I sure like that one with the grille section in the rear.

Also, is it normal for old non-AV 041s to have the air filter mount plate rather than the big carb / filter "box" thing? The boxes seemed to be more common with my friend's 040 parts, and the plate worked just fine on my 041 build, so I always thought the boxes were from 040s only.

So where is the difference in the side cover? I have had a few gear drive 041saws and they have been the same.

Bill

So where is the difference in the side cover? I have had a few gear drive 041saws and they have been the same.

Bill

I was wondering too; I've seen the differences between the different 041 versions before (I have all three now) but people made it sound like there were different ones specifically for the geardrive.

My best garbage can find ever was a couple grand worth of '60's/'70's underground comix in a dumpster. All first or second prints, all mint or near-mint condition. Best part: it started raining as I loaded 'em up, so if I'd gotten there just five minutes later, they would have all been ruined! Got 'em all: Crumb, Shelton, Spain, Flenniken, Robbins, Spiegelman, Griffith, Wilson, Kitchen, Lynch, London, Corben... the whole gang. Major score. Probably never get lucky like that again!

BrMorgan,,,,,,,You need the filter cover shown on the left in post #7. You cannot use the one that has a "grill". You have a newer version with the high cover. The choke on your 041G is different from the earlier version with the carb in a box.

Bob

Well Brad that is a rare find indeed, congrats are in order. Today has been a good one for some, that is the second geardrive I have heard about being found in junk piles. Another AS member posted this morning about finding a Pioneer geardrive, I believe it is a 850 making it a rare one also. Both great finds in my minds eye.
Pioneerguy600

That feller had an 041g in that haul as well!

Latest posts

Back