You know you heat with wood when.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You've spent hundreds of hours at work reading this forum & even prepared a presentation grade photo describing your woodpile.

WoodPile3.JPG

sorry for posting the picture in 2 threads, I'm just so damn proud of my woodpile. :msp_biggrin:​

Nice! Now you need to organize it according to BTUs so you know what to grab according to the thermometer.

When "normal" people are inside watching MNF, you are outside working on the wood pile with the halogen lights.

attachment.php

View attachment 208140

Been there. Done that. My Main source of income is the KS Air Nat'l Guard and I work nights, so it's easier to split at night sometimes. Now you REALLY know that you heat with wood when you're about to engineer an all hours splitting area w/hardwired lights, a roof (rain/snow protection) and possibly a conveyor, to carry away splits when you don't have an extra set of hands to do it for you, (preparing to pick up a S.S.H.D. to compliment the Speeco). I'll bust the big rounds (20"+) w/the Speeco to make them manageable for my back, then finish them with the S.S. and save A LOT of time!!!!! View attachment 208338 Then I'll be able to make about 6x this amount in a lot shorter time!

Whew.....I thought I was the only one that did that! :msp_lol:
OK, you guys who are - umm, a little too concerned with organization - are kinda scary to those of us who aren't!:msp_scared:

Seriously though, stacking wood is a huge logistical PITA sometimes. Since I never have enough stuff seasoned as much as I would like, I have to organize it so that the good stuff is accessible first. And while my wife is good with the stove, she doesn't have the level of interest required to learn what species are what, and which is the good stuff to burn now. And all this organization stuff gives me the willies.

When you have soothed a burn on your forearm with a cold on after grazeing the door while trying to fit that last piece in for the overnight burn.

I thought I should give this organization stuff a try too. Here's my map:
attachment.php

Waddya think? I feel like I may be missing something here.

attachment.php

Heh heh heh! Not if you are ahead of the game!

When we started didn't have much 'seasoned' wood - so - because sometimes I could get hubby to bring up the wood, I had to literally draw him a map as verbal instructions didn't work too well.

Now that we are somewhat ahead of the game, it's more like "Grab some wood from the right side stacks".

Shari

Heh heh heh! Not if you are ahead of the game!

When we started didn't have much 'seasoned' wood - so - because sometimes I could get hubby to bring up the wood, I had to literally draw him a map as verbal instructions didn't work too well.

Now that we are somewhat ahead of the game, it's more like "Grab some wood from the right side stacks".

Shari
I'm a long was from "head of the game" - if I work really hard and get very lucky I may be able to get to just "grossly behind"!

208370d1322068057-firewood-png

This is more like my pile of wood! I know, I'm not much of an artist....
LOL - I left off all that stuff too, including all the branches that came down and I'm just ignoring so far. I suppose I'll have to stop and eat Thursday, but I gotta keep moving. My goal is to have a nice rack of ready to burn wood when the next snow hits. I'm gonna make it.

i think thats awesome that you were able to organize your wood that well. IDK if i'll ever go that far but the thought is nice.

I didn't really try to organize it - that's just the way I received it. I was 'learning' the different types of wood, how they burned & how long they took to season properly.

Now, 2 yrs. later - I don't care how it's organized except Oak is separated out, so is Box Elder, fruit tree wood and any soft wood.

Shari

attachment.php

Tarps??

You know you heat with wood when you have a pile that looks like this
and you feel a special relationship with every piece of wood in it...
because with every load put onto it, it's covered with
another tarp...and then another and then another.

When you get around to stacking it,
you have to rescue the tarps by moving the pieces
one at a time from corner to corner to corner.

When you go to to load the stove, and you say to the wood, "I remember you!!"

...when the thought of the propane truck coming is the only thing that will motivate you to burn your hard-earned stacks.

(By the way - if it's not a right angle it's a wrong angle! :clap: )

208382d1322074968-october-2011-145-labeled1-jpg

What the heck!?! Is that REALLY a freaking ELEPHANT standing there in the background??? :msp_scared:

Nice pile of wood by the way!

...when the thought of the propane truck coming is the only thing that will motivate you to burn your hard-earned stacks.

I love the elephant! I was looking at the picture and thinking wait, what IS that....

You know you heat with wood when...

208382d1322074968-october-2011-145-labeled1-jpg

You know you heat with wood when...
you photoshop an elephant into the picture of your wood piles to see whose attention is on the wood and whose isn't!! GOOD ONE!!
smiley_elephantnose.gif

Latest posts

Back