You know you heat with wood when.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you open the back door to let a little heat out and the neighbor's chickens wander in to get warm and surf a little ArboristSite with your husband.
attachment.php

That's a pretty intense gaze. Obviously looking at snackies on the WTF picture thread.

Good to see ya again 'booga! Haven't seen ya in a bit...UncleFacialHair has been draggin your name thru the mud quite a bit...

The nasty jerk! How could anyone do that to poor booga??

Uncle who? Is he an AS member?:msp_confused:

Nah - just some social-climber who's trying to worm his way into some old lady's will. Just ignore him and all will be well.

Another corollary: You know you heat with wood when the oil in your tank is so old, the oil left in it is evaporated. Be careful if you open that tank, Booga! Nasty fumes!

funny,,but NOT true...

It doesn't actually evaporate, I know. I didn't want to sacrifice humor for a technicality. It does break down, though.

You know the guy next door DOESN'T heat with OIL anymore when the state department of environmental protection shows up because the fool finally decides to DUMP the old oil from his tank. The environmental police guy told us the ungodly fumes were from the old oil volatilizing into aromatic hydrocarbons and it contaminated the air in the entire neighborhood. Husband ended up sick at the doctor's and had elevated liver enzymes for a few months afterward. I had a headache and fatigue for two weeks and the kid across the street had a two-week long asthma attack. He was fined thousands. I would be careful.

He was fined thousands. I would be careful.
I would pour it in the tank of my old Mercedes diesel and burn it. It's dangerous and wrong on the ground, but it's perfectly legal as a dense, black cloud of particulate emissions.

-->You know you heat with wood when you have to discipline yourself not to burn the fuel for the backup heater in the daily driver "'Cause it's gettin' real old."

-->You know the bar you visited heats with wood when you notice a thermostat in the room with no wires connected, and the bartender tells you it's for the new guys who complain it's too hot inside. "Ya see, we just go over and turn it down for 'em and they're just tickled that we treat 'em that special. Then we get 'em real drunk and sell 'em their own boots."

Last edited:
It does break down, though.

You know the guy next door DOESN'T heat with OIL anymore when the state department of environmental protection shows up because the fool finally decides to DUMP the old oil from his tank. .[/QUOTE]

Doesnt break down...been there. Enviromental type..real winners, they are...And no, i wouldnt dump fuel oil that way either,,for the one that believes i burn old tires on this forum...It burns just fine..Mercedes or any other diesel..

You know you heat with wood when...

Doesnt break down...been there. Enviromental type..real winners, they are...And no, i wouldnt dump fuel oil that way either,,for the one that believes i burn old tires on this forum...It burns just fine..Mercedes or any other diesel..

Your (thankfully FORMER) next door neighbor...
who thought you were burning rubbish in your wood stove...
offers you the pallets his walkway stones came on, and you think to yourself...

":confused: They'll burn!"

It was probably just some old locust! :bad_smelly:
The walls and roof of that house are at least 150 year old wide boards and all rotted out.
We got to see it when the PREVIOUS owners flipped the place
and replaced a few shingles here and there just to patch it up.

So I guess that's why...

you need all these saws and a few more...
and the wood they're sittin' on...
and three or four more piles like it...
to cut up all those plastic packages your stuff from WalMart comes in!!

attachment.php

You've stopped to pick up oak rounds stacked on the roadside. In a suit and tie. On the way to an important meeting for work. In July. :msp_tongue:

You rigged up a junker lawn tractor with snow chains on the rear tires, stripped the mowing deck, and added wheel weights to tow a cart because some fool rolled fifteen 30"+ ash rounds into a ravine.

In the middle of a snowstorm in January with the temperature approaching 0 degrees F, your wife (who is always cold) says, "Can you open the front door? It's a little warm in here."

You look forward to visiting your in-laws because of the downed trees in the back of their lot.

You keep running out of pallets to stack on because you can't resist burning them.

Another corollary: You know you heat with wood when you have to bite your tongue when your neighbors are complaining about their fuel bills and you don't want to rub their noses in yours...wait a minute...WHAT FUEL BILL??
I heat my house with a precise mixture of 2 stroke mix, bar oil and Motrin.

Do it every day!!

you open the back door to let a little heat out and the neighbor's chickens wander in to get warm and surf a little ArboristSite with your husband.

attachment.php
Awsome picture - our chickens would be only too happy to come in if we let them!

You've spent hundreds of hours at work reading this forum & even prepared a presentation grade photo describing your woodpile.

WoodPile3.JPG

sorry for posting the picture in 2 threads, I'm just so damn proud of my woodpile. :msp_biggrin:​

Back