You want to know why Stihl is #1....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought it had been established that Stihl is most certainly not number one. The number one selling saw in the country is the Poulan Wild Thing. When taken in the aggregate, Electrolux companies are bigger than Stihl. Sure, GM may make Chevy and GMC, but that doesn't mean they're not the same truck and the same company.

I'm surprised someone looking to become a Lawyer is so reckless when it comes to details. Their statement is, they are the number one selling brand.

Details...details...details. Start paying attention to them or those Contract courses are going to be your undoing.

I'm surprised someone looking to become a Lawyer is so reckless when it comes to details. Their statement is, they are the number one selling brand.

Details...details...details. Start paying attention to them or those Contract courses are going to be your undoing.

Funny you should talk about details. Go and read the thread title here and tell me what it says. :)

Funny you should talk about details. Go and read the thread title here and tell me what it says. :)

I'm well aware of the title, I'm more interested in your statements :)

I thought it had been established that Stihl is most certainly not number one.

They are the number one selling brand per their statement. Details!

:)

I'm well aware of the title, I'm more interested in your statements :)

They are the number one selling brand per their statement. Details!

:)

Show me one place I even mentioned their statement or implied I was talking about their statement. Details!

:computer:Wife said NO to a Stihl huh?
I hear ya, I had one of "those kind" years ago. :hmm3grin2orange:

Stihl saws

I went to a husky dealer to get a carb kit for a Mc chain saw and a couple of files. I went over to look at the saws and the lady yelled buy one. This guy walked out to show them to me and I told him I was just looking and had three saws at home. He asked what kind and I Told him and one is a Stihl. He told me the bad thing about a Stihl is you can hardly get parts for them anymore LOL. I didn't say anything just looked a while longer and walked out.

I have to laugh at these Stihl threads...

Back in the '60s, I was growing up in a small Oregon logging town. In those days, the arguments were Mac vs. Homelite - and even the most rabid Stihl or Husky fan pales in comparison to the Macs and the Homies. You people are amateurs compared to those guys!

Anyhow, I remember when the first Stihls started showing up. They quickly developed a (well deserved) reputation for flooding and hard starting, particularly when warm. Parts were also a problem, as they hadn't yet developed their dealer network.

More than once I overheard a conversation at the local diner where a bunch of loggers were having lunch. Of course the Mac guy and the Homelite guy would be going at it, and inevitably someone would mention Stihl. "Too bad you can't get parts for one", he'd say - at which point someone else would chime in "that's OK - they don't run long enough to wear out parts anyhow!"

To this day I have a dislike for Stihl. I've run them, they're fine saws - but not noticeably better than anything else, and I can't get over that old bias.

-=[ Grant ]=-

LOL, I guess, we all have our faults, but crying about something that happened in the 60's is akin to an African American blaming me for slavery, LOL, stupid.

At least you can admit it, thats more than most, I guess.

Sounds like you have a personal problem.

My opinion,

Sam

I have to laugh at these Stihl threads...

Back in the '60s, I was growing up in a small Oregon logging town. In those days, the arguments were Mac vs. Homelite - and even the most rabid Stihl or Husky fan pales in comparison to the Macs and the Homies. You people are amateurs compared to those guys!

Anyhow, I remember when the first Stihls started showing up. They quickly developed a (well deserved) reputation for flooding and hard starting, particularly when warm. Parts were also a problem, as they hadn't yet developed their dealer network.

More than once I overheard a conversation at the local diner where a bunch of loggers were having lunch. Of course the Mac guy and the Homelite guy would be going at it, and inevitably someone would mention Stihl. "Too bad you can't get parts for one", he'd say - at which point someone else would chime in "that's OK - they don't run long enough to wear out parts anyhow!"

To this day I have a dislike for Stihl. I've run them, they're fine saws - but not noticeably better than anything else, and I can't get over that old bias.

-=[ Grant ]=-

I was talking with a buddy about the same sort of thing the other day.

Back when Carter had just cut the nuts off of our economy, and folks were hurting here in the boonies, it was back to wood heat and tree cutting for lumber, cribbing and pulp for LOTS of guys.

Back then we had two saw dealers and a new Stihl shop.
Everyone was wearing some brand of saw hat, or had some sort of Saw brand Patch on thier jacket.

The debates got as ugly, and maybe uglier than over Tractors LOL!!

So here it is 30 years later, we are down to one hardware store from three.
The Stihl dealer and the hardware that sells Husky are the last.
The economy is in the tank. Our new thinking president is parroting Carter, and folk are going back to wood heat and cutting trees again.

The Homies and Mac's are gone, and the current debates are Husky/Stihl and just as ugly.

Our local Stihl dealer is getting squeezed hard by Stihl business policys and the margin he has to work with on volume while competing against TSC and Husky, but can always get parts and support for his customers.

Everything has come full circle. ;)
The only thing mising is the sewn on patches, and heat transfer logo T-shirts.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

7 dealers within 12 miles, huh?

Kind of like a big family where all the kids have to sleep in the same bed.

:ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl:

I tell ya...that Spike hits hard, but he hits subtle and smoooooooth...he's like The Velvet Sledgehammer...

You mean they been selling the same technology for the past 25 years! That explains why so many get orgasmic over the 361, Stihl finally got around to building them like a husky. ;)

Ya just know he's right!! LOL

(The Stihl 361XP...gotta love it!) :D

here's a way to fix it let's have stihl and husky partner up and have a super saw that way everyone wins

that's just to make husky fans feel better but we all know stihl rule's the world

And YOU, out of all the Stihlbillies, should know it's not.

Personally, I sorta like it the way it is. Let the professional users stick with Stihl and the Home Depot fans can stay with Husky.

Works for me :)

Personally, I sorta like it the way it is. Let the professional users stick with Stihl and the Home Depot fans can stay with Husky.

Works for me :)

I kinda like it the way it is now as well. Let all the Jred/Husky guys keep up with modern advances, and let the Stihlbillies get dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century. :D

OH YEA well I like Chevrolet. They make more horse power and almost any small block parts fit any small block. Cant do that w/a ford or dodge!!!!

LOL, I guess, we all have our faults, but crying about something that happened in the 60's is akin to an African American blaming me for slavery, LOL, stupid.

At least you can admit it, thats more than most, I guess.

Sounds like you have a personal problem.

It's no different, Sam, than blind brand loyalty - of which you'll find plenty in this thread. Mine just goes the opposite direction, that's all.

People who live in glass houses...you know the rest! :clap:

-=[ Grant ]=-

It's no different, Sam, than blind brand loyalty - of which you'll find plenty in this thread. Mine just goes the opposite direction, that's all.

People who live in glass houses...you know the rest! :clap:

For those of you newer to AS, one of the things you need to know is that, although there is no small amount of brand loyalty in many members here, there is also no shortage of people like myself, 2K, and many many more who just enjoy giving each other the business, and choose saw brands as a way to go about it.

We do have one rule about it, however: No autopsy, no foul.

Oh, and always, always read the 'fine' print.

(Stihl sux)

Latest posts

Back