young lady needs help buying her first chainsaw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megwashere

Reaction score
hi :) my name is meg.

soooooooooo without getting into too many details, i will be moving up to a piece of land near cochrane, ON within the next month or so. i need to purchase a chainsaw that is good for not only cutting firewood, but that can also cut trees big enough to use as supporting posts for a house. i have heard good things about both shindaiwa and stihl, and some recommendations for husqvarna as well. but the recomendation i heard most often was that i come here and ask you!

so what should i be looking for?

keeping in mind i weigh about 120 lbs and have a semi-limited budget, haha.

also, is it safe/wise to buy used?

any information is much appreciated, thank you again in advance!

Last edited:
Welcome Meg. A 359 husqvarna would be one way to go. Not too heavy, not too pricey, reliable, and fairly powerful. good luck in your search and your new home. Russ

I wouldn't hesitate to buy used as long as it is from a reputable seller. There is a nice 260 stihl from tlandrum in the classifieds here on arborist site. That would be a good lady saw. My wife has one and likes it.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy used as long as it is from a reputable seller. There is a nice 260 stihl from tlandrum in the classifieds here on arborist site. That would be a good lady saw. My wife has one and likes it.

I would take that a step further. Go to the closest chainsaw shop that fixes the stuff they sell. Ask how much it costs to sharpen the chain, when brought in on the saw. Tell them your needs and ask them to recommend you a saw.

Then bring that information back here and we'll discuss it. Repeat if necessary in another shop.

Chainsaws are high maintenance items. You need to find a shop you can trust, and the first step in that relationship is buying from that shop. Heck, I try to fix all my own stuff when possible, I'm the guy that people bring stuff to for me to fix, and I still need the support of my local saw shop. So, start there. Not at a home center, classified, or some place where shipping is $30 each way (or more).

HF

Hi Meg:

Welcome to AS. Good to have you here! :cool2:

A 50cc class saw is about right for what you have in mind. The Stihl 026 Pro that Terry Landrum is selling in the AS classifieds would be a very good one for you. And since it's ported, it'll deliver more power than a stock 026 but will last just as long. Good price, too. I almost bought it myself but already have one.

On a normal 026 you can run a 16 inch bar very nicely, which when needed will cut logs more than 28 inches thick. Since it's ported, you can run up to a 20 inch bar if you want.

It's light enough so you shouldn't get tired running it for extended periods, too. I run an 026 for most of my light work. Really like that model! :D

You should strongly consider personal protective equipment (PPE) such as a hardhat/helmet, ear protection, face shield and kevlar chaps. Stihl and others make a helmet/face protection/earmuff combo that works great. About $55. Good kevlar chaps will run you $75 or more. You may never need it, but you won't know until you need it, and then it'll be too late.

And there's a lot of routine maintenance such as chain sharpening, air filter cleaning, etc., that we can help you out with.

Last edited:
Tick. Tock....

Who's going to say 346xp and nmurph? :D

I'd say you cant go wrong with the stihl 260 or a decent huskqvarna 346.

thank you so much!

i will check out a chainsaw shop as you say... what would that be? as far as dealers go, i did a search on the stihl website and most of the dealers are rent-all centres and box store-type places. how might i go about finding a good, knowledgeable local shop? (i live in london, ontario, if that helps at all)

the information you have all given me thus far is incredibly valuable and helpful, i really appreciate it! i really would like to find the best deal for what i need it for and i am hesitant to go straight to a store without arming myself with as much knowledge as possible, because i don't want to be sold more than i need (or less, ahah but i find that's rarely the case).

what price range (approximately) am i looking at for this kind of tool?

again, thank you so much! you guys are amazing! :)

Agreed on the 50cc saw as a moderately light weight unit. This is actually a lot of saw for an inexperienced light weight operator. Mother in Law is 6'1" and lives in a small cabin with no flush toilet. Cuts for hours on end with weed eater and runs an old 009L. She's as tough as they come, but has no desire for anything larger or heavier. My 346xp is too much for her.

My Husqvarna 345 has been good to me and quite light, but now out of production. Maybe a 435 would be a good choice.

Go to a store and pick one up and see how it feels. The wrist strength will come quickly with use, but don't get too carried away.

Last edited:
Meg, there are a good number of guys from Ontario who post on this forum. Odds are good one of them will stumble on this thread sooner or later and can help you out with more local dealer information.

Meanwhile, you'll hear a lot of us recommending a specific model of saw. Well, we all have our preferences, and the truth is any of the top four or five brands in the 50cc range will all work about as well as the other. So I'd suggest you shop around and go to various dealers and start and run each of their approximate 50cc offerings.

You don't have to buy a durn thing to shop around, and you may find one that really feels great in your hands. They all handle a bit differently and have somewhat different controls, so in the end you should find one that really feels good. Then ask about it in here.

Oh, almost forgot. Have fun with the process! :)

Last edited:

soooooooooo without getting into too many details, i will be moving up to a piece of land near cochrane, ON within the next month or so. i need to purchase a chainsaw that is good for not only cutting firewood, but that can also cut trees big enough to use as supporting posts for a house. i have heard good things about both shindaiwa and stihl, and some recommendations for husqvarna as well. but the recomendation i heard most often was that i come here and ask you!

From google:

• Mid City Honda Center (5.3 km)

1767 Oxford Street East

London, Ontario

N5V 2Z6

Tel: (519) 659-6533

Fax: (519) 659-5048

Email: [email protected]

• Mid City Honda Center (5.3 km)

1767 Oxford Street East

London, Ontario

N5V 2Z6

Tel: (519) 659-6533

Fax: (519) 659-5048

The quick discripton sounds like a dealer, not a rental and looks good. I was surprised at how many rental outfits also sell honda. Idon't consider a rental outfit a "dealer". My experience with such places is that if you aren't renting something you are an unwanted hinderance.

Harry K

Meg,

There is a Husqvarna dealer right in Cochrane and a couple in Timmins as well. There are not alot of large diameter trees up there so any saw in the 50cc class will suit. Stay away from any Auto-tune or M-tronic versions (limited support up there). Stay away from the tooless chain adjusters (they dont work wearing snowmobile mitts, and crack easily in the cold), what ever saw you get keep the winter kit if it comes with one as if you indend on cutting in the winter months you will need it.

What made you decide on Cochrane? You know they get alot of snow there right?? Like tunnel to your door snow.

While your shopping around look for a leftover Echo cs-520 or cs-530 with an 18 inch bar. The new models are out and if you can find a left over you will probably be able to pick it up for half of a what a Husky 346xp or Stihl 260 will go for. Nice and light, snappy, easy to start, low maintenance, proven design. May be a good fit for you.

Look into what dealers will be close to you then, not now, base your decision on those choices.

If you are going to go with Stihl:

(Price low to high)

MS 250 (comes, optional, with easy 2 start system, which is nice if you have a hard time starting)
MS 290 (also, easy 2 start is optional here as well)
MS 261

or you can easily find the equivalent in Husqvarna, Dolmar, Echo, Jonsered, all of which are great saws.

Go try one out and feel the ergonomics, that will be important.

Up that ways you have two choices, Husqvarna or Stihl, plain and simple, there are no other dealers within a 2-3 hours drive, check out your local dealers in your current area and get a feel for things, and when you get on the edge of lake Commando, see what saws the dealers in town stock, and pick one of those models, for they hopeully stock parts for those models.

Back