Your husky saws in the application ratings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you think some of the smaller saws are over worked with larger bars? There not made for heavy usage.

Do you think some of the smaller saws are over worked with larger bars? There not made for heavy usage.

Which straw are you clutching at with that one?
I can bolt a 42 inch .404 combo on a 2100CD, run it in sandy dirty Pine and overwork that saw, fly over and cut 36" clean PNW Fir with it and with a sharp chain it would be like a hot knife through butter, hop over to the East Coast and sink it into some 36"hardwood (is there any that big left?) and overwork it because of a blocked oil delivery hole.
All depends on how sharp the chain is, how experienced the cutter is and what you are cutting grown where as to how under worked or over worked a certain combination of CC's over bar length will be.

Which straw are you clutching at with that one?
I can bolt a 42 inch .404 combo on a 2100CD, run it in sandy dirty Pine and overwork that saw, fly over and cut 36" clean PNW Fir with it and with a sharp chain it would be like a hot knife through butter, hop over to the East Coast and sink it into some 36"hardwood (is there any that big left?) and overwork it because of a blocked oil delivery hole.
All depends on how sharp the chain is, how experienced the cutter is and what you are cutting grown where as to how under worked or over worked a certain combination of CC's over bar length will be.
Yes we have plenty of trees that big in the north east, not the majority but not uncommon either.
And i agree with everything else. The operator dictated what's enough or too little for the job. 14" bars cut 26" trees in the right hands.

I cut some 48” to 60” diameter hardwoods here in ct. the 60” on my land the 48” in the state forest. Between the 2100 and 385 Xp, the 575 ate the smaller diameters. I have more big trees to come down yet between maples, hickory, ash trees.

Yes we have plenty of trees that big in the north east, not the majority but not uncommon either.
And i agree with everything else. The operator dictated what's enough or too little for the job. 14" bars cut 26" trees in the right hands.
When I started cutting firewood my 2.0 craftsman with a 12” had problems cutting 24” maple. About 41 years ago I got acwake up call. I went back and got the craftsman 18”/3.75 saw again another disappointment. After that I was going to buy the biggest saw I could get my hands on a Husqvarna pro 2100/99 cc. I destroyed everything in sight. I did buy a husky 240sg pro saw too. With no one to ask I learned on my own. When I met my dealer he taught me a lot.

If I had to start over again, I’d pick the 2100, but my smallest saw would be around 60 cc like a pro 266se.

I believe the northeast has been clear cut twice. What little big stuff we have left could be second growth.

Since the deer love white oak egg corns I try to leave red and white oaks when I can.

My little 545 Mark 2 is hard to beat for anything 16" or under.I have around 20 pick up loads of black locust cut down and bucked on less than 2 gallons of gas to prove it.It does show its butt though when it is hot and wants to vapor lock,but for a firewood saw,I would saw it is one of the best.

Back