You've heard of the two saw plan... what about the TWIN saw plan?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brages

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
When I was home visiting my parents a few weeks ago, I was chatting with my dad about chainsaws. He is a farmer. The whole time I was growing up, and even now, he has heated a big old drafty farmhouse with a Longwood wood furnace. So he has cut quite a bit of wood.

I remember when I was growing up, he always had more than one saw. I think he had a Super XL and one of those top-handle Homelites (XL2)? I believe he owned a John Deere saw briefly, and then probably 15 years ago or so, he converted to Stihl. His old Stihl has held up pretty well; I think he's still using that one.

Now he has two saws: an 026 and a 260 Pro he bought more recently. (He says the 026 seems to cut a little better.) Anyway, his method is to always bring along both saws with sharp chains, ready to cut. Then, if one gets dull, or starts running badly, or runs out of gas or whatever, he switches to the other one and keeps on going.

Most here would say that a 260 is on the small side for firewood. But Dad has way more wood available than he'll ever need. So he doesn't mess with the really big stuff. He says they are too heavy anyway. Instead, he prefers to stick with smaller trees and cut them into longer lengths. (I think the Longwood furnace can accept up to a 5' log.) BTW, both saws have 16" bars.

So what do you think? Two saws with identical specs? Seems like an effective way to keep it simple if you can be choosy about what you cut down.

i have the triplet saw plan.
i got a 365special with a BB kit
a 371xp
and a 372xp
all of em cut pretty much the same.

I don't see anything wrong with two smaller saws, it just depends on how much time you want to spend cutting. My dad had two saws all the time I cut with him, a couple of Skil saws that we never could keep running and then a Stihl 017 and the 031av I still have and it still runs. Sounds like what your dad is using works for him.

my uncle has 2 029 supers. one was his and the other he bought off his brother. they got a wicked deal on them a few years ago, but his brother never used his much and ended up selling it. I know some people who run 2 440s. it seems like a good plan as long as you get good saws.

One criticism of the big saw/little saw plan is: "are you really going to switch to the other saw in the middle of the job on every tree you cut?"

My 395xp is my twin saw program. I never quits. I sharpen the chain every other tank and it cuts all day.
But if I get too tired for a heavy saw or have to do some climbing around in fallen trees. I use mine 372xp or 044.

I have a similar plan, I have several saws between 48 and 58 CC's that are ideal for cutting firewood with 16"-20" bars. I will usually take two for a day of cutting, sometimes three. A usual combination is my Husky 55 and Super XL, Mac 10-10 and PP 330, I will add my 031 to the lineup once I have it together and running, and hopefully someday add my Jred 49SP.

I took 4 with me last Sunday when I went cutting firewood, my buddy I cut wood with thinks I've lost my mind LOL. All part of trying to live with CAD!

If you have to switch saws in the middle of a cut, just to make sure you run every saw you brought, you might have a problem. :chainsawguy:

Don't have the "twin" plan but am currently subscribed to the "cousin" saw plan.

441 and a 440. They do not run the same, cut the same, handle the same, etc. They do have "Stihl MS" in front of their numbers. That's about it.

the 3 saw plan works good for me, call me crazy but when splitting up the work between 3 saws seems as though the chains stay sharper for longer, maybe due to the lack of heat

89AD5B69.jpg

FD7A7A56.jpg

CE7B2063.jpg

My twins
Pioneerguy600

Where's Ultra??

Would plowing snow be a good guess?

I'm guessing he has a couple of 066/660's that are related.:monkey:

I see no problem at all. If he doesn't "need" a bigger (most don't) and he is past getting his jollies running a big saw, then why do anything else. Our Dad's were and still are smarter than we are. Now, if nothing else, he has the perfect spare parts saw.

I like using the smallest saw that will do the job. I don't like carrying around the extra weight. I think my 260 Pro and 361 combo is perfect for my needs. I will definitely be getting a 026 for my collection.

-Mel

I always bring at least 4 saws. They are all pretty old so I never know whose going to crap out that day. They don't take up much room, and I always figured I'd feel pretty stupid sitting out in the woods with all the working saws at home.

Tripple Saw Plan

I always take 3

036 Stihl (18" Bar, 2171 Jonered (22 " Bar). Husky 395 (28" Bar)

I also take 20, 24, and 36 bars for the Huskys

2 chains each, 28 and 36 skip chains
Files, wedges, maul and double bit axe

Most always cut in a remote spot sometimes with help that always seem to have a chainsaw breakdown. End up I cut with 395 and helper cuts with 2171 unless doing tops then I run the 036 which is the best saw of the bunch.

Notr to be forgotton a good first aid kit and assortment of tools. When I have all that stuff I don't seem to need it.

MS192T
Stihl 036
Jonsered 2171
Husky 395 XP

Latest posts

Back