Help!!! Stihl 310 back pressure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

50:1

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got a stihl 310 with what feels like too much back pressure...it's hard to pull and sometimes yanks your arm back. Been like this since new. Owner never took it to shop while in warranty to see if it was a warrantable issue. He's an older gentleman, not very big and it's hard for him to pull. It's even unusually hard for me and i'm a fairly young, strong buck. Any tips? I wish stihl used decomprsssion valves as liberally as husqvarna does. Stihl has them only on their pro models, husy has them on most all their models, even homeowner. Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Sounds like fuel is leaking into the cylinder. I would pull the carb and rebuild it.

Got a stihl 310 with what feels like too much back pressure...it's hard to pull and sometimes yanks your arm back. Been like this since new. Owner never took it to shop while in warranty to see if it was a warrantable issue. He's an older gentleman, not very big and it's hard for him to pull. It's even unusually hard for me and i'm a fairly young, strong buck. Any tips? I wish stihl used decomprsssion valves as liberally as husqvarna does. Stihl has them only on their pro models, husy has them on most all their models, even homeowner. Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

what other saws do you have for reference? do you have any problems with it starting other than the compression? i have a 310 and it feels similar to my 361/262/357/359. fyi, the 390 has a decomp.

Easy fix: Remove your panties. This will allow your testicles to drop and finally become man enough to pull start the saw. LOL, I'm just kiddin with you. It could be carbon build on the piston or cylinder crown. You can also buy a larger pull start handle. I find drop starting saws is much easier.

easy fix: Remove your panties. This will allow your testicles to drop and finally become man enough to pull start the saw. Lol, i'm just kiddin with you. It could be carbon build on the piston or cylinder crown. You can also buy a larger pull start handle. I find drop starting saws is much easier.

you're killing me! Lol! It can't be carbon because it's been doing it since new and this saw still looks showroom. It has more cobwebs on it than sawdust on the air filter.

what other saws do you have for reference? Do you have any problems with it starting other than the compression? I have a 310 and it feels similar to my 361/262/357/359. Fyi, the 390 has a decomp.

i've ran most of stihls saws up to the 084, pretty much all of them except 044, 021 & 270 and about half of the husky models, comparably 55, 268, 365 and 61 and this stihl 310 definately feels abnormal. This isn't a strong compression issue, it's some kind of back presure issue. I just don't know what's causing it. The carb rebuilt option sounds viable. What about a carb adjustment???

i've ran most of stihls saws up to the 084, pretty much all of them except 044, 021 & 270 and about half of the husky models, comparably 55, 268, 365 and 61 and this stihl 310 definately feels abnormal. This isn't a strong compression issue, it's some kind of back presure issue. I just don't know what's causing it. The carb rebuilt option sounds viable. What about a carb adjustment???

i don't think the saw would run or run well if it was spitting that much fuel into the cylinder.

Does it do it all the time or just after sitting for a long period of time?...Does the saw smoke like a ##### when first started?...If so, I would check your tank vent and make sure it is working properly and not filling the crankcase w/ mix after sitting...

Might be nothing the matter with the saw, without a decomp they can be snotty.

Setting the piston to TDC by slowly pulling the cord, then letting the cord back in and pull it like you mean it should help.

The Stihl rescue D style handle would help, though it would be funny to see one on that saw, they are nice for the big 660/880 sized saws esp if the compression is bumped up.

I would not put the 310 with the 359 husky, 310 is a clam shell design and not at all a pro saw, 359 is nearly identical to the 357xp and shares everything but the same cylinder piston and crank stuffers. 359 is not marketed as a pro saw, but it is build the same.

I went by my stihl dealer today and pulled on a 310 on the floor and it was the same as the one in question so this unusual pressure unfortunately is normal. Stihl needs to give it up on some compression release valves and stop being so d*** greedy since this model is popular with old folks. I don't remember my 064 having this kind of crappy back pressure. If I was a Stihl dealer I wouldn't even stock this b****.

I would not put the 310 with the 359 husky, 310 is a clam shell design and not at all a pro saw, 359 is nearly identical to the 357xp and shares everything but the same cylinder piston and crank stuffers. 359 is not marketed as a pro saw, but it is build the same.

I know it's a bad comparison but I don't know of anything closer cc wise.

50:1 you are correct

I completely agree, I had the same issue with a 310 that I had and even took it in while under warranty and they said nothing. I sold the saw and have plenty experiance logging with 3120's 395s, 066s and the like. That 310 kick me and a couple others but and I took more than one fist to the mouth because of that damn saw. No one believed me till they got there arm torn off. Stihl techs said it was due to no decompression valve and it needing one.
Your not a nancy had the same thing and it did it to everyone.

I run a borrowed 310 from time to time, and it does have serious compression. I won't say backpressure, I don't see how that can be possible. I have noticed on the saw when the cylinder gets even mildly loaded with fuel, the saw is a PITA to pull it through, and one has to get mean with it and pull the rope like you mean it. Sorta like swinging a splitting maul into a knotty piece of juniper and you're determined it WILL split ...........

The reason I say to check the tank vent is b/c I have a MS210 that had a bad vent and it would fill the case w/ mix...The saw was givin to me and the rod was bent so bad it was hitting the bottom of the cylinder wall...I still think the saw had mix in the cylinder and the owner pulled it over and it had enough mix above the to hydraulic and bend the rod...

I'm gonna try to get the owner of this 310 to let me sale it for him and get him a husq w/a decompression valve. I could sale it and get a good 55 and have money left over.

I contacted Stihl via email last night about this and this was the response I got...

We are in receipt of and thank you for your e-mail. I will be
happy to pass your suggestion onto the product manager. I can tell you
though that our main concern is with the customer. This is one of the
hardest subjects that we work with. From a safety point of view if the
customer cannot start the saw due to compression they more than likely
cannot physically control the saw when cutting due to its weight. That
is why we only offer the EASY2START(r) system on our small home owner
saws. Our main concern is customer safety. I would ask you to observe an
elderly user and watch the way they compensate for the added weight,
they tend to stand more in front of the handle than to the side and have
a tendency to drop the left hand to the side of the handle bar. Thank
you again for your e-mail and if we can be of any further assistance
please feel free to contact us again.

Best regards,
Bob Myers
Technical Support and Customer Support Lead

Hey there, does anyone have any info on why some MS 310 have a factory decompression valve and some do not? Mine does, located in Australia.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back