Sears Barracuda information needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tabeagle

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of a Sears Barracuda? It is a lightweight saw with an auto sharpening chain and a direct drive. It is maybe 15-20 years old, although it could be older or newer. It is a real pretty blue/green and white color. The Model number is 917.351380 or 917.351390. If you know of it, can you tell us anything about it, i.e: size, year made, etc. Is the auto-sharpening feature any good. If you haven't heard of it, do you have any ideas where we can find out about it. A picture is attached. Thanks in advance, again, for all the help you can give us.
Tom and Clara

That is a pretty saw. I have a few like it, but not nearly as nice. I beleive this saw was made by Roper, and is about 3.7 c.i.d. The so-called Barracuda self sharpening chain was a failure. Sears sold a lot of saws (by Roper and later by Poulan) with this feature. It sounded like a good idea, but it just didn't work. The chain was discontinued about 25 years ago. You can remove the self-sharpening mechanism and use regular chain of the correct pitch. Oregon made types 84 through 89 in pitches .404,.325., and .250. in various gauges. Type 76 (3/8 pitch) was also produced.. I have some of the Oregon hype and Sears hype on these chains. Your saw has a good power-to weight ratio. It may be an earlier version that has manual oiling only.

Last edited:
baracuta

I can telll you that back in 1970 the saw sold with a 17 inch bar for $227.95. My grandapas sears cataloge had all of those old saws in it. fun to look at wish I could still order that stuff.

I just grabbed that exact saw at the land fill last night. This one has a regular B/C on it not that self sharpening stuff. I popped the muffler and its as clean and shinny. Its missing the air filter but I believe I can still get that - anyone want to sell an air filter cover? The one on it has chunk missing out of the corner. I am sure some of you guys have a couple of these Ropers sitting around. Any help?

Well actually its a "transfer station" - it was about ten minutes away from being crushed and I'll probably wish it was!

I have that same saw also ( the Barracuda lightweight power-sharp ) ... It was givin to me by a homeowner.... I work for a tree company here in Columbus, ohio and he gave us 2 of them.... just for nothing

Latest posts

Back