Stripped exahust thread repair?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srcarr52

We can't stop here, this is bat country.
Reaction score
This is not the way to do it. 1/4x20 steel nut zerts and lots of loctite.

IMG_2316_zps35aa2f97.jpg

Before Christmas R2D put up a thread of how to repair this 2100 so feeling in the Christmas spirit I offered to fix it for free. Fast forward to late February and a it finally arrives on my door step. First step... get the remaining insert out and survey the damage.

IMG_2317_zpsb0d199d4.jpg

I think inserts are out of the question now.

Welding it up is the only option. So ditch cut and bead blast. I prefer to weld from the inside of the exhaust port so the outside and fins are left hopefully untouched.

IMG_2320_zps990b4eb5.jpg

How do you weld something so deep? First step... forget everything you ever learned about electrode stick out for tig welding. Turn up your gas flow and use a good gas lens to keep everything properly shielded.

IMG_2325_zps4c71fdc4.jpg

After welding.

IMG_2328_zpsde396bd7.jpg

After sanding flat on the belt sander.

IMG_2334_zps02c763a6.jpg

I was really feeling in the Christmas spirit so I also offered to port it, so a little more grinding to be done. Sorry no before pictures just after porting.

IMG_2383_zps44f3dc6b.jpg

IMG_2382_zps40de4e16.jpg

IMG_2381_zps4ad24a34.jpg

IMG_2380_zps9c7c776c.jpg

I went together with a much better used thin ring piston and new rings. Clean looking air filter cover.

IMG_2315_zps46e18252.jpg

nice..that is what a guy with the proper equipment and welding skills can do.

any concern about the heat warping the bore out of round?:popcorn:

Nope. I've welded a lot of stock cylinders with no warping. I've measure before and after with a very accurate bore gauge and I haven't seen enough warping to worry about. AM cylinders are a different story, those wander all over the place when welded on. I had a NWP BB kit tighten up 0.005" on the cylinder extensions just being welded on.

And since a everyone always demands a video. The bar is a 34", RSLHK chain (half skip), and 8 pin sprocket in about 28" of sycamore.

[video=youtube;biLq1NXY00A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biLq1NXY00A[/video]

Nice work Shaun,as always. Hedgefest is fast approaching,hunting parts and cleaning saws.

Very nice work! I wish I had the skills and equipment for welding aluminum.

Yup, very nice work.

I fixed a jug of a contra super the same way, and ended up quite nicely. Not as nice as yours, but hey, this is only the belgian mafia....:hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back