Noisy owb pump

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MICHIGANSAWER

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So i replaced my owb pump last night. Old pump was leaking between motor housing. Finished up the swap turned shut off valves back on and waited a few seconds for water to reach pump. Turned pump on and all sounded good.
Put the little ones to bed and checked the boiler one last time. Water was @ 180 just like it should be. Came back in house pump is making a gurgling sound
not to loud but deff could hear it. Went to bed. Wife kicks me @ 2am. says what is wrong with the pump? Now it is REALLY loud. Pump is straining a bit and sounds like maybe air in the lines? Anyone ever have this problem before?
I have swapped pumps in the past but never had any trouble. HELP! Thanks guys.

check the rubber seal and the flanges, clean them wipe them off etc... I have seen a piece of rust or something cause a slight air leak. Which is what this sounds like. Been there and done that before, air does not magically get into the system it has to come from somewhere, if it was not leaking before then most likely this is the spot. But if it was leaking before then you got a tracing job to find the leak.

My mahoning came with with tacos , there good pumps but are really designed for a closed system , most of are OWB are hooked up as an open system and can get air pockets when changing them and will definitely ruin the pump if run for any time at all without water , the best way is to keep turning the pump on and off , I put the plug in and then out a couple times , you can hear the air and noise and then after awhile it gets quiet and your good , it gives the pump a chance to get the air out and not hurt the pump .

check the rubber seal and the flanges, clean them wipe them off etc... I have seen a piece of rust or something cause a slight air leak. Which is what this sounds like. Been there and done that before, air does not magically get into the system it has to come from somewhere, if it was not leaking before then most likely this is the spot. But if it was leaking before then you got a tracing job to find the leak.

yea, but the new pump he installed was full of air, not water....
if they shipped them full of water it'd probably leak and get the box all wet !!!!

I've had 2 Taco's replaced under warranty.... They have problems right out of the box, first one had a crack in housing and when i put the brand new second one in it sounded worse than the old one. Not to long after that it burned up. and am on #3.

You should have some type of drain valve/isolation valves, etc. built into your system....

Air pockets can settle anywhere in the system when the pumps get shut off, especially if your HX's, etc. are at or above the water line of the boiler (on an open system that is). Just let it run for awhile to see if it settles down, but don't EVER shut off the discharge side and run the pump, they will self-destruct,often in a violent way....

similar start up situation

When I first started up my system I had a terrible time getting the air out of the domestic hot water line and the heating line. I attached a line from the water make up line on to the discharge of each pump. Each line has its own shut off valve. This allows me to flush the lines using domestic water pressure and forces the air through the lines back into the furnace water jacket. My system is open to atmospheric pressue and the bubbles coming into the water jacket just rise and vent off. It works great and I have not had to mess with it again. Its all pex tubing.

When I first started up my system I had a terrible time getting the air out of the domestic hot water line and the heating line. I attached a line from the water make up line on to the discharge of each pump. Each line has its own shut off valve. This allows me to flush the lines using domestic water pressure and forces the air through the lines back into the furnace water jacket. My system is open to atmospheric pressue and the bubbles coming into the water jacket just rise and vent off. It works great and I have not had to mess with it again. Its all pex tubing.

:agree2: I put a fill/make up on both lines. One in the house and another in the garage. Rep 4U

Back