How cold is your house in the morning?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use an older wood furnace located in the basement(celler). It utilizes the fan from the gas furnace next to it. Which hasn't been used at all for several years now.;) Usually keep it at 71-72 in the house.

I'll put wood in about 11-12 pm when going to bed. Get up between 5-7 am. The temp in the house is usually 68-69. Usually a small pile of red coals still glowing, but furnace is not warm to the touch. Doesn't take long though, adding wood to get it back up to normal. 71-72.

Years ago, before adding new modern windows, some insulation etc. The same furnace, would be in the 50's in the AM. Brrrrrr. Would usually fire up a kerosene heater till the wood furnace caught back up. LOL I can't state how much difference a little insulation, and modernizing makes in an old farm house.!!!
:cheers:
Gregg,

We load our furnace about 9:30pm and close the damper about 10:00pm. When it was 10 out we woke up to a 70 degree house and a full coal bed.

Holy crap! I have one wood stove in the family room, we keep all the bedroom doors closed so it stays cool for sleeping. At anywhere from 25 F down to 0 outside, we keep are stove full of wood and shut up tight, it is normally 78-80 in the house. If it gets above 80 we open the doors and let a breeze come through. When we go to bed we fill the stove and shut the air almost completely off it will be 75-77 in the am. If you dont shut the stove down you will wake up and come out to get a drink, and it will be hot as hell, I have seen it 100 f a few times . House is about 2500 sq ft.

1 wood stove in our house. 1700 square feet. House is 72 or 73 when i fall asleep, usually wake up in the middle of the night and its 75 or so, shut the dampers and wake up around 8 and its between 68-72. If it gets damn cold i toss more green hedge on it in the night and its 75 or higher even at 8 in the morning.

Generally somewhere between 72 and 78. If it gets down to -40 or so then it will be in the low to mid 60's.

25° outside 68° inside.Just put in a few sticks to toast it up.Goin' to make a pot of coffee right now!

Ok boys, just woke up slept in this am. Its 5 degrees F at 8:42 am out side. I filled the stove at 10:30 last night have not been up and checked it since, it is 76 degrees in the house and still two logs six inches around and a nice bed of coals in the stove!

That's in Cambridge Ne, just so you can verify the temp outside, If I knew how to put a pic on here I would post a pic of the thermometer at 76 in the house, but I dont so you'll have to trust me! Wife is setting on the couch in her panties that should be enough proof!

Last edited:
68f when we get up. 74f+/- when we go to bed. Don't want the house any warmer.

Smallish Jotul F118CB, doesn't hold much, or burn much wood. But cranks out the heat!
Very good stove! :pumpkin2:

I do have a fire brewin this morning but its only in the mid to high 40's outside. On the other hand its supposed to be around 90 by mid day here in Sandiego today. You can hate me now its cool.

I've been loading the stove at 9 pm and opening it 1/2 way for low to mid teens overnight and waking at 5 am to 71-74 temps in the room with the stove. Two nights ago I set the stove the same but the overnight low was only 25 so I woke up to a 82* living room. I also still have a good bed of hot coals to keep it going, just throw on another few logs in the morning and it is good till I get home around 6pm.
As a side note I was going to let the fire go out yesterday so I could clean the flue pipe so I didn't put anything on in the morning. At 5pm when I got home to clean I still had hot coals in the fire box and 70 in the living room, but the outside temp was in the mid 40s. This is not the first time I have gotten a 20 hour burn time from this stove either.

2.9 degees outside this morning and over 65 inside. New windows and siding helped a lot. I have a very large, two-story house and my furnace does pretty well if we stock it before going to bed and turn down the dampers.

I have noticed a lot of responses in reading though this thread, that quite a few folks like to keep the temp up there!!! 80-90 degrees. Yikes! Is it just me? If the temp gets up to 75, I start opening windows or think about turning on the AC! :D I couldn't stand just sitting there watching TV, and have sweat rolling down my cheeks.
Not experienced myself with a wood stove operation. I suppose it just might be the nature of the beast, to heat the rest of the house.
Gregg,

You really want to know how cold it was this morning? Really.
It was so cold that my chamber pot froze solid (drumroll please).

BTW: where is it written that the whole house MUST be between 65 F and 75 F ? You heat with wood---stove, furnace, OWB---why
heat space you don't use most of the time, and where you sleep ?
Dr. LB says it's not good for you, uses fuelwood, and uses fuel for you anti-greenies with your thermostats set in stone @ 65 F. Besides, it's kind of romantic to do things under a warm, Euro goosedown comforter ( that's why it is called "comforter" ).

Oh yeah, bless me, I am soooooooooo righteous. :bowdown:

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot: @ 80 F we would be melting.

Yep, over 74-75 and I'm opening a window and a door.

But I usually run the stove to where no windows/door need to be opened..:pumpkin2:

I have noticed a lot of responses in reading though this thread, that quite a few folks like to keep the temp up there!!! 80-90 degrees. Yikes! Is it just me? If the temp gets up to 75, I start opening windows or think about turning on the AC! :D I couldn't stand just sitting there watching TV, and have sweat rolling down my cheeks.
Not experienced myself with a wood stove operation. I suppose it just might be the nature of the beast, to heat the rest of the house.
Gregg,
Yep, if it gets over 75 I start opening windows. When I said it was 82 the other morning it was because I didn't have accurate information on how warm it would be overnight and had the stove set too hot. If it is 78 in the living room with the stove it is 72 in the bathroom and 68 in the bedrooms so that is where I try to put it at night.

Back