• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Stihl 500i damaged housing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soren Conradsen

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi forum

I'm a full time timber faller and I run a Stihl 500i as my primary chainsaw. I recently discovered that a piece of the housing had unfortunately cracked off.
One of the bolts in the handlebar goes through the handle, into a rubber bushing that then rests in a "bowl" in the housing.
It is this bowl that's been damaged. As this housing is cast, I don't see how it's potentially fixable - but then again, I'm not a very big expert when it comes to repairs.

The saw has become more shaky, and I feel like my aim has been a bit of since this occurred. I'm also guessing that the excessive strain this will put on the springs on the saw will decrease their life span quite a lot.
It's is only about 1.5 years old and other than this damage, it still runs great. I find it a bit wasteful having to retire it due to this issue.
Do any of you have potential solution?

Attachments

• IMG_1831.jpg
    IMG_1831.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1832.jpg
    IMG_1832.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1830.jpg
    IMG_1830.jpg
    825.8 KB · Views: 1
Hard to tell, but it looks like the spring that holds the handlebars to the frame is missing too?
in a pinch you can probably replace the spring?
if it won't stay put you'll have to have it welded and machined, they are die cast and probably magnesium so make sure the welder knows that
OR you might have to settle for finding a new case half.

Use it as it is, as long as you don't pull too hard on the back handle it will be fine, the saw handle doesn't connect at this point with the engine, it's just a limit stop peg screwed through the handle 👍

Back