Tree length or 24"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut into rounds in the woods. Pretty hard to hand load a log into a pickup. With the tractor I could load logs but I am more likely to smash the truck bed. You need to buck the log into rounds anyway so why not do the job in the woods.

I split at home since I can cut, load, and dump a truckload of rounds in half a day. Cut, split, load, and stack will take more than one day.

I cut on my own property most of the time and use my crawler loader to move logs to a staging area for cutting to length and splitting. I can carry a 15' long 36" diameter log with the 4&1. Off property is hand loaded so it gets cut/split to a size that I can move by hand.

I cut the rounds to length first and then haul them to the splitter. It's rather hard to load 6' long rounds onto a pickup truck when some are 24" dia. Somehow, I can't seem to lift 1,000 lb rounds to the tailgate by myself.

Usually pull the logs to the road with the truck or winch then cut into 16" pieces. Do it that way for several reasons, forest service says nothing over 7ft long can be loaded on a truck with a firewood cutting permit, I couldn't lift it anyway, leaves all the mess in the woods.

Both bring home in log form and also cut to 20" length. Prefer bring home logs then just cut in front of stove. Save handling.

I cut on my own lot. I have 3 small log yards that I skid to with my tracked skidloader. From there everything gets cut to 28" and split by hand if needed. The slaves(4 kids) load into the loader bucket and off to the pile next to the OWB. I knew we had those kids for a reason...:D:D

The Forest Service wood permits that I've had require anyone transporting logs to have them cut, something like 33-50% through, throughout the log in firewood lengths.

This is so that someone couldn't steal fence posts, fence logs or even house logs. They are worth more to a lot more.

There was an article in Homepower magazine a few years back in which a woman built a large log home on some very cheap federal wood harvesting permits. Now I wonder if she bought 'firewood'. She had it mostly done, and then self ignited a t-shirt soaked in linseed oil which took the whole thing down to the ground. So she went back on federal land and cut another house worth of trees.

I load logs into my dump trailor, with a skidsteer with a root grapple. Haul them home buck and split. Works great.

We do both depending on the needs of the land owner on the cleanup, we try to keep it in the woods, that away i only pay for finished product and don't have to deal with the over run. For the over run in the woods..."brush Small limbs" we bring in a tub grinder and sell the majority of it to the Co-Generation plant for Electricity.

I cut my wood in Dec-Jan (just finished this years cutting today) and cut it to lengths where I drop the trees. When I get a chance in the spring or summer, I haul the cut rounds to the nearest trail with a DR power wagon, then go through the trails with my tractor/splitter and split it all. I then haul all the split wood out with my pickup. The wood I just cut this year won't be burned 'til the season after next (I cut 2 years ahead) so there's no hurry getting it out of the woods.

I cut my wood in Dec-Jan (just finished this years cutting today) and cut it to lengths where I drop the trees. When I get a chance in the spring or summer, I haul the cut rounds to the nearest trail with a DR power wagon, then go through the trails with my tractor/splitter and split it all. I then haul all the split wood out with my pickup. The wood I just cut this year won't be burned 'til the season after next (I cut 2 years ahead) so there's no hurry getting it out of the woods.
around here if you dont take it with ya you may loose it...land owners will take your cuts, and Ive even had a pro logger come over and steal three weeks of cut logs before. we where waiting to truck it out when ground froze... it froze on my work day that evening i went out and they where all gone. just his skid steer setting there...i left a note for him if he did it again i was going to haul off the skid steer. he pulled off the job the next week. but i have had owners back out of contracts mid stream just to gain the wood cut, that they didn't want before we started. on that note you just hand them a bill for expenses incurred....:bang::bang:

I just cut to firebox size and throw them in the bed of the truck and then usually dump them in the backyard until I have time to split or stack them or whatever.

I agree

I cut all mine to firewood size right where it hit the ground. If it's a big tree the splitter even goes to the woods with me.
Leaves all the mess in the woods and I don't have to handle anything super heavy that way.

You are so right! I agree 100%

Note

Only cut and split what you can haul off . Like the others have said ... some body else would enjoy all the work you did by stealing your wood. It has happened to me. Cut up some tops all week end went back it was all gone . So Live And Learn. I cut and split as I go. When I get a load then I go unload it then go back and cut split again.

Back