Block and split or leave it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hutchkinkaid

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Had a triaxle of hardwood delivered this week, came earlier than I was expecting. Can't stack it till at least June (doing some landscaping and need the area where it will go free to let some machines through).
With the buckets o'rain we are and apparently will be getting for the forseeable future, better to block and split now & pile it in a big ole heap or leave it in log length? Would a big ole heap get mouldy quicker than log length?
Wood is on skids on a slope right now, and won't be burned this year...

Hutch,

I am inclined to recommend to leave it in log form and block and split after your landscaping project -- particularly if you do not need the wood next season and it is not in your way. If for no other reason than to avoid double / triple handling.

Why bother bucking now?If you got a lot going on right now, they'll be fine for a few months.Bark may even start to slip off, make it easier on the old chain.

Thanks for the thoughts folks, the wet weather is great for running the saw and splitting (split by hand, so cooler and damper is more better) but the ground is so darn saturated it's iffy to run landscaping gear to the back of the property... Think I'll leave it for a bit.

My gracious neighbour is letting me store the logs on a lot he owns next to us so they can stay there a while...

On the other hand, I am itching to get er done, see how this old Remington will pull my spankin' new 16 inch bar and chain through this hardwood...

Hutch,

I am inclined to recommend to leave it in log form and block and split after your landscaping project -- particularly if you do not need the wood next season and it is not in your way. If for no other reason than to avoid double / triple handling.

:agree2:

Back