Hornet and Smart chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WesternSaw

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Fellas I check out other websites from time to time,yea I know,how dare I,right.Anyway on one of them there's a fella looking for a Hornet chainsaw.He say's his great grand father D.J. Smith started the company,that's why he is looking for one.So if anyone has one they want to sell I can let you know who want's it.

On another note any of you fellas heard of a Smart saw?Anyone on AS have one?
Thanks
Lawrence

I am that Fella...

Hey guys
I am the one from the other site that is the great Grandson of DJ Smith. My grandfather Joe Smith who worked on the assembly line at Hornet industries for his dad is helping me with my search. So far all I have is a prototype 2 cylinder powerhead that blew apart when they were testing it, never made it to production. I am 32 years old living in Eastern washington. I have a custom Rifle for Great Grandpa, but not a complete saw. My son who is 8 is really interested in the history of the Hornet which is great. If anyone can help me in this quest for saws, brochures, ads, signage, anything please let me know.
Matt Prazer
[email protected]

I seen me one of those Hornet's for the first time just a few days ago, though I have no idea what model it might have been. You don't see many of them laying around, would not surprise me if that is the only one I ever get to see in person.

Well Matt,

You sent me a message through ebay Saturday. If you are for real then you need to read through the listing you contacted me under. It is best to contact sellers off ebay than on ebay.

Bill

Bill
Sorry about the confusion, I was following the "Golden Rule" of Ebay to keep everything on or through ebay. I didn't want to be invasive and call before emailing. But I will call soon when I get a chance. Thanks again
Matt

Hello Matt,

I am glad you called Tuesday night. I am a personal guy who prefers phone calls. I will do what I can here to see what help I can provide. I cannot promise anything but I sure will do what I can.

Bill

Fellas I check out other websites from time to time,yea I know,how dare I,right.Anyway on one of them there's a fella looking for a Hornet chainsaw.He say's his great grand father D.J. Smith started the company,that's why he is looking for one.So if anyone has one they want to sell I can let you know who want's it.

On another note any of you fellas heard of a Smart saw?Anyone on AS have one?
Thanks
Lawrence

A bit late but here is my answer Lawrence.. :) :) I do !!!!! I have about 3 of the DJ models and 2 of the HJ models ... plus a Smart Saw from Brockville,On,Ca.
Alain,

A bit late but here is my answer Lawrence.. :) :) I do !!!!! I have about 3 of the DJ models and 2 of the HJ models ... plus a Smart Saw from Brockville,On,Ca.
Alain,

Alain,

You have been around long enough to know the Golden Rule about pictures....

Your friendly A.S. Badger

P.S. Did Smart give up on their saw and build a car around their engine?

I seen me one of those Hornet's for the first time just a few days ago, though I have no idea what model it might have been. You don't see many of them laying around, would not surprise me if that is the only one I ever get to see in person.

You saw one in the floor at my place. It'll run but it has a tricky recoil. It's the obvious predecessor to the Mall 2MG. Mall bought out Hornet in the early to mid '50s I'm thinking.
Igpoe:cheers:

Alain,

I am very glad to see you around again. The majority of the guys that were here in the early years have moved along to other areas. If you ever want to chat i am always around. I have many feelings:mad2: about the "other" site

Bill

Well Matt,

You sent me a message through ebay Saturday. If you are for real then you need to read through the listing you contacted me under. It is best to contact sellers off ebay than on ebay.

Bill

Not if the buyer expects/needs eBays support if/when a deal goes sour. Phone calls directly to the seller might be the quickest way to exchange information, but unless you record the phone calls there is no way to document what was said/promised/agreed on.

Back