Do you take your hand off the saw?.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sure I take my right hand off to pop the brake. but usually chain has stopped. it's all done in one motion anyways...

used to only use my brakes to check only.

but.... after all the warnings posted. have modified my habits to always kick on my brake before starting and anytime I need to move more than a step.

Yea, I should probably do that. Never have in close to forty years (knocks on wood). That's the thing with bad habits -- they're habits. That 32 in. bar on the 046 when I drop start it doesn't ever touch the ground (but maybe I should be thinking about my foot?).

Thanks for all the responses!

Hi guys, thanks for what you have posted here, not only does it help with this issue of braking before moving on , but it gives "street cred" to the fact that pros work safely and take precautions.

A point to go along with that is idle setting. A fast idle that turns the chain (I've seen guys using saws that way) can not only bite, but burn out the clutch when you do use the brake. If the blade doesn't stop spinning, back off the idle!

Snap it with my wrist with both hands on the saw.

Usually not to move around, but if my hand goes near the chain (clearing noodles or something), the brake goes on. And if its rough terrain I'm walking over, I'll set it then too.

Yea, I should probably do that. Never have in close to forty years (knocks on wood). That's the thing with bad habits -- they're habits. That 32 in. bar on the 046 when I drop start it doesn't ever touch the ground (but maybe I should be thinking about my foot?).

I figured I should read my ANSI Z-133 2012again.

Hmm

"6.3 Chainsaws

6.3.4 Drop-starting a chain saw is prohibited. A chain saw shall be started with the chain brake engaged and the operator holding the saw firmly in a manner that minimizes movement of the saw when pulling the starter handle."

So, in a tree chunking a big spar, I'm supposed to hold an 046 " ...in a manner that minimizes movement"... when starting it? Sure seems like you want to drop start it, as opposed to pull the cord with the saw on the tree in front of you! The only exception would be if it stalls in the cut, and you re-start. I can see using the chain break, fine, but there are other situations in a tree were you are just going to drop start it, such as when you are positioned and nowhere near a limb to rest it on. I never have started a saw in a tree resting it on anything.

Am I missing something here?

On a side note, I put a full wrap handle and double set of bigger dogs on my 361, so that it was safer to start a cut (the lowest tooth is much bigger). I feel better jabbing that in before I take the chain break off. Which is also a new habit -- I used to take the chain break off with the tip pointing straight up, so I could have a better hold on the handle when I put it up to the tree sideways to start cutting. I still do it that way with the 046 and a long bar because of the weight; I'm afraid I could loose my grip fumbling with the chain break and have the saw land in my lap if the dogs come loose.:msp_scared:

Someone have a better idea?

I ALWAYS put my chain brake on, no exceptions, other than moving along a felled spar pole chunkin it. It is an instinct, take more than two steps, chain brake. I don't even have to think about it. Also I never drop start, always on the ground or leg lock method. But being a product of "a culture of safety" it has just been instilled in me. Remember play it safe out there boys and girls and come home safe and in one piece at the end of the day:msp_thumbsup:

If I'm walking and not cutting, I set the brake with the back of my wrist. I pitch the saw up and rotate my hand forward on the handle to set the brake. It's almost a natural motion to me.

I use alot of saws that don't have chain breaks

But most of my saws DO have them and most of them have been modified to trip with the slightest movement of my wrist. The lever has been moved closer to the handle. It IS rarely a problem when the break is unintentionally bumped, but I'll live with it. I never set the break with the throttle hand.

No, I don't take my hand off the saw.
I pop my brake with my wrist. After the chain stops.

Especially if I'm moving more than a step or two .

When I'm up in the tree and finish my back-cut. I pop the brake before I pull it out of the cut.
If I have time I cut the saw off and hang the short ring on the caritool, if not I just let down the lanyard. It's awful tight quarters sometimes, I'm glad the brakes there.

same here i allways work like that, more safe and the wrist move work great, it becomes a standard procedure to me.

Latest posts

Back