Rip chain for 084

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickW

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm new to the game of milling and am building a Procut mill. I purchased an 084 from Mastermind that I plan to use on it. I've been studying up on chains in general and ripping chains in particular and what I've learned so far is that there is a lot to learn. What I need in the meantime is a recommendation for a rip chain that will work on a Stihl 084 with a 36 inch bar presently using a 404 crosscut chain. From the stihl chart that should be 404 pitch and 63 pitch. If you can keep it simple like a bailey's part number or something similar I can get something on the way. Also if there are good threads I should read on this just tell me where. Thanks

Nick

I'm new to the game of milling and am building a Procut mill. I purchased an 084 from Mastermind that I plan to use on it. I've been studying up on chains in general and ripping chains in particular and what I've learned so far is that there is a lot to learn. What I need in the meantime is a recommendation for a rip chain that will work on a Stihl 084 with a 36 inch bar presently using a 404 crosscut chain. From the stihl chart that should be 404 pitch and 63 pitch. If you can keep it simple like a bailey's part number or something similar I can get something on the way. Also if there are good threads I should read on this just tell me where. Thanks

Nick

CALL BAILEY's!!

They are great people, easy to work with. They might need more info, such is it a Stihl bar or third party, how many links in your present chain.

And why are

Get a 3/8" tip for the bar, run 3/8" x 0.063", grind to the Malloff grind. No safety chain.

You'll need to change your rim (drive) sprocket to 3/8 as well. Stihl RM (semi-chisel) works very well straight from the box for milling if you don't want to buy or file/grind a ripping chain.

.404 chain is $$.

I followed the advice to call Bailey's with the bar info. They are sending a chain, cost me $50 but when it's time I'll be ready to cut. Also got my 084 from Mastermind yesterday. For a guy that's very used to a MS260 all I can say is wow!!! Beautiful, sweet running machine, not something I can handle free hand tho.

That Old Saw...........

sure seems to be putting a smile on your face! I've got one of those and it does the same thing to me.

Ditto the advice, count your links and call Baileys.

Old Blue
Where mutually assured tax based destruction is under way. In...........................
Kali-bone-ya

Back