my small time firewood operation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes they do. First they were 3/8 anglel iron which bent. Now they have solid supports behind them. It needs a log lift and the tongue jack moved. It will split any wood you can fit in the 24" space. About 5.5 - 6 seconds through most wood at a 600 rpm idle. Bump it to high idle for pieces with 4 - 6 + inch knots. At 600 rpm it is quiet as a car at idle and uses little fuel. 5 gallons splits better than 3 cords of knotty fir, elm, maple, and some oak. Small hydraulic tank and you can always put your hand comfortably on any part of the hydraulic system. Single stage but unknown gallonage.

Well, that's a nice rig! Bet that deuce comes in handy! My cutting buddy looks like a twin to your little blondie there.

I got the deuce so I dont have to worry about getting stuck or overloading the Dodge. And that white German Shepherd is my cutting buddy. She is 8 & 1/2 years going on 8 months. Her energy level is incredible for any young dog.

I'm in Portland Oregon. There is a fair amount of large trees here. A lot of old elm, maple, and oak that are at the end of their life cycle or have pavement covering their roots. A good bit of 36 - 60 inch hardwood stuff I am able to scrounge. A lot of fir and hemlock as insurance companies rates scare property owners into removing large healthy trees of that type. A 70cc saw with a 28" bar is often the minimum necessary. I noodle rounds down so I can lift them to the splitter.

Back