Vermont castings merrimack

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
guys.,posting for a friend.

Hello,

I am hoping someone has had the same experience as me and might be able to help me. I am at a loss as to why my Vermont Castings Merrimack insert is not functioning properly. Although it has been evaluated by multiple professionals--all of whom certify that there is nothing wrong with the installation--it just does not seem to be functioning properly.

Some of the problems I'm encountering are:
1) the stove can only run when the primary air control is on the lowest setting, otherwise the stainless steel chimney liner glows red.
2) the stove does not seem to be putting out the right amount of heat--you can stand right in front of it, and the air is warm, but definitely not HOT, as it should be. It also doesn't seem to be blowing the right volume of air. The fan has been checked and appears to be functioning normally, but it seems like the amount of air being pushed out of the stove by the fan is less than expected (which perhaps explains why you can stand right in front of it). (Just for reference, today it was 36 degrees, and the stove only heated the house to 72. We have an open floor plan AND the thermostat is 10 feet from the stove.)
3) the stove seems to be burning wood at a higher-than-normal rate even though it is putting out little heat. Even on the lowest setting, the wood needs to be re-stocked every 5 hours. After 6 hours or so there are still glowing embers, but again, not much heat output. The specs of the stove indicate a burn time of up to 12hrs.

There was an issue with the automatic setback air control not closing automatically, but even once this was fixed, the same problems persist.

Please help if you have seen any of these problems before or just have any ideas!

guys.,posting for a friend.

Hello,

I am hoping someone has had the same experience as me and might be able to help me. I am at a loss as to why my Vermont Castings Merrimack insert is not functioning properly. Although it has been evaluated by multiple professionals--all of whom certify that there is nothing wrong with the installation--it just does not seem to be functioning properly.

Some of the problems I'm encountering are:
1) the stove can only run when the primary air control is on the lowest setting, otherwise the stainless steel chimney liner glows red.
2) the stove does not seem to be putting out the right amount of heat--you can stand right in front of it, and the air is warm, but definitely not HOT, as it should be. It also doesn't seem to be blowing the right volume of air. The fan has been checked and appears to be functioning normally, but it seems like the amount of air being pushed out of the stove by the fan is less than expected (which perhaps explains why you can stand right in front of it). (Just for reference, today it was 36 degrees, and the stove only heated the house to 72. We have an open floor plan AND the thermostat is 10 feet from the stove.)
3) the stove seems to be burning wood at a higher-than-normal rate even though it is putting out little heat. Even on the lowest setting, the wood needs to be re-stocked every 5 hours. After 6 hours or so there are still glowing embers, but again, not much heat output. The specs of the stove indicate a burn time of up to 12hrs.

There was an issue with the automatic setback air control not closing automatically, but even once this was fixed, the same problems persist.

Please help if you have seen any of these problems before or just have any ideas!

How are you seeing the liner glow red?
90 percent of the stove issues I have seen have in fact been chimney related.

5 hours of burn time isn't bad. Specs are dependent on many things.

You said that it only heated the house to 72 but made no mention on square footage, if it's a ranch or two story, or insulation level?

How are you seeing the liner glow red?
90 percent of the stove issues I have seen have in fact been chimney related.

5 hours of burn time isn't bad. Specs are dependent on many things.

You said that it only heated the house to 72 but made no mention on square footage, if it's a ranch or two story, or insulation level?

House is frog a55 tight. heating 2000 sq. in a central family room, inside centrally located( not outside wall)
glowing cherry red when you pull the front cover off you can see it. with a temp gun showing >600* in an insulated liner.
the installer confirmed all is 'free' and no bindings or clogs/soot/squirrels/nests after visual inspection.

no block off plate and not insulated firebrick. ( i told him to) ....wifey wins again.

To me it sounds like there is a missing smoke shelf above the the secondary burn air holes allowing the smoke and gases to burn in the exhaust port and chimney

Any update from your buddy, Angelo? I picked up a Merrimack insert in October and have been burning the daylights out of it. At this point I have the surround on it, but initially I did not, so I could see the liner where it connects to the insert. There was a little bit of heat marking/discoloration, but never saw it glow. I put a new liner in, abandoning my 8" and going with the recommended 6 inch. Turned out to be a good thing because the old liner was pinched where is it had been oval-ized by some hack to force it through the old damper frame. I'm using this insert as my primary heat for 2800 sq ft.; so far so good. As far as burn time... 12 hours is optimum but not practical. I get 8 on a consistent basis, but have found that it can vary greatly with wood variety/moisture content, etc. (all the things you'd expect). I got a great buy on this thing, but doubt I would have paid retail for it.

Glad it's working for you Ron, Dennis's is not. It's been a real challenge dealing with the seller and VC. You'd think they spoke a foreign language. Nobody can tell him why the flu glows red and it really puts out minimal heat. VC does not support its products well or at least this one anyway.
Next month will be a year fighting this battle.

Best of luck with yours, at least there is proof the Merrimac works and he has one that doesn't.

Bummer. I would say to check it yourself as with any profession, there are a few idiots and a few geniuses and a lot in between. If the smoke shelf (I am referring to the one in the stove) is positioned right their should be no way for the gases to burn in the flue causing it to be red and sending a majority of the heat up it to. Make sure there are no gaps at the back or sides of the plate.

http://literature.mhsc.com/vermont_castings/manuals/30004671_Merrimack_6.pdf

Page 17 #38

Well, they say it heats "Up to 2,000 sq. ft.", and it is heating 2,000 sq. ft. - I'm not sure how high the ceilings are. It is an insert so you can only get radiated heat out the front - heat radiated out the other sides will go to heating the masonry or the air, which will not have the same feel.

They don't give firebox dimensions, but I think 12hr burn time is BS. There should still be hot coals after 12hrs but that's not what most expect from the term "burn time". Reloading after 5hrs seems reasonable for a unit that size. A secondary burn stove will have a high heat output during secondary combustion early in the burn cycle, but as the volatile stuff cooks out the output rate will drop. I suppose that is what the automatic air control should be for - to increase air after the secondary burn. Probably mostly a gimmick, but it might help.

Running with the primary air almost closed also seems correct, as that is how these things are designed to run. I'd still be concerned there is an air leak into the firebox, such as a door gasket or adjustment issue. I know with my stove even a small leak could cause an over fire if it's really loaded well.

Overall, I think that there may be an problem with the expectations of what the unit should do, possibly combined with a manufacturer overstating (i.e. lying) about what the unit can do.

Chris,
Even if the thing put out tremendous heat, the glowing flu in a wood chase is a scary concept. I know I would never let my wife alone running one. VC insists there is nothing wrong. When you have the installer, the seller and the factory swearing there is nothing wrong with a cherry red flu, your temperatures tend to rise without any wood at all. Dollar bill test completed, gasket replaced, fans replaced spring for the intake adjuster thing(can't remember what it's called) shelf checked as well. Installer verified no obstructions or leaks in flu.

Chris,
Even if the thing put out tremendous heat, the glowing flu in a wood chase is a scary concept. I know I would never let my wife alone running one. VC insists there is nothing wrong. When you have the installer, the seller and the factory swearing there is nothing wrong with a cherry red flu, your temperatures tend to rise without any wood at all. Dollar bill test completed, gasket replaced, fans replaced spring for the intake adjuster thing(can't remember what it's called) shelf checked as well. Installer verified no obstructions or leaks in flu.
I agree, the glowing flue is surely a problem. It must mean too much air inlet - there simply isn't anything else that makes sense. So either the secondary air alone is too much, or there is some other entrance. Maybe there is a leak between some of the various panels that make up the structure?

First; I would much rather have a free standing stove than an insert. My experience with inserts is not enough heat output.

Second; We had a Vermont Casting stove for 8-9 years and I'll never have another. Heat wasn't the problem, just a pain in the ass to use. & the soft refractory has a fairly short live span and pricey to replace.

I agree, the glowing flue is surely a problem. It must mean too much air inlet - there simply isn't anything else that makes sense. So either the secondary air alone is too much, or there is some other entrance. Maybe there is a leak between some of the various panels that make up the structure?

Agree completely, unfortunately we can't get good help.
If it were a saw, I got quite a few friends to call on...this thing....eh not so many.

First; I would much rather have a free standing stove than an insert. My experience with inserts is not enough heat output.

Second; We had a Vermont Casting stove for 8-9 years and I'll never have another. Heat wasn't the problem, just a pain in the ass to use. & the soft refractory has a fairly short live span and pricey to replace.

Oh trust me Don, I all but dragged him into a blaze King free stander in a back porch/sunroom. Wifey said "ugly" and in went the pretty shiny VC. Tried hard for pacific energy :(

Oh trust me Don, I all but dragged him into a blaze King free stander in a back porch/sunroom. Wifey said "ugly" and in went the pretty shiny VC. Tried hard for pacific energy :(
We got a good lookin Jotul that's a pleasure to use and heats the whole house just fine. :)

Back