stihl ms251

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The part I made larger print, well I just don't see it as possible stock to stock. I have the same thing in a top handle.

Might just be I'm better at filing the 325 semi chisel vs yellow picco but it cuts faster that 250's. It doesn't have the torque but it has nice chain speed. All are wearing 16" bars.

I'd be interested to see what a 251 would do with a good muff mod.

Hi. Harry Homeowner here and I'm on my 2nd season with the 251. Sometimes it is hard to start, at times the starter cord doesn't seem to pull out cleanly. It's like something stops it inside, awkwardly. Feels like I'm about to rip the cord off after it stops 6". My biggest gripe is the oiler doesn't seem to put out an adequate amount of oil. Chain always looks dry. I called Stihl support and they guy said unofficially he thinks they have oiling issues. Took it to my dealer and he thinks it is fine.

I have never noticed a lack of oil on the chain. The only problems have come from my lack of sharpening at times.

I have never noticed a lack of oil on the chain.

Hmmm. I have never noticed oil on it. I will see a little oil flinging off if i do a few revs up against a tree but not much at all. I prolly get 1.5 tanks of oil per tank of gas so I know it is coming out. Does a little better if I remove bar and totally clean everything up but then seems to get clogged up easy after only bucking up half a tree.

Hmmm. I have never noticed oil on it. I will see a little oil flinging off if i do a few revs up against a tree but not much at all. I prolly get 1.5 tanks of oil per tank of gas so I know it is coming out. Does a little better if I remove bar and totally clean everything up but then seems to get clogged up easy after only bucking up half a tree.

I would say mine is the same for showing and using oil, but I haven't noticed it clogging up. To be fair, I'm mostly cutting semi- to fully dry Australian hardwoods, maybe that is the difference? But then I would have thought I need more oil than in softwoods.

It is of course a bad model - being a cheaply made "strato" model, with added weight boosters (C-BE). :D

Bad models? Oh wait its you, not surprising,haha. SawTroll how ya been ole feller? Been awhile since I've peek on here to pester you. I see your still bashing Stihl but we at camp Stihl grin, yes we continue to hammer team Husky in sales with those "bad models". By the way aren't you getting up in years now, bout time you started thinking about getting a ez pull saw, come on by and pick yourself up a new 251, you'll like it,LOL

Tommy Hall?

Oh my god! I have not seen you here on AS since I last saw Elvis...
Hey there Wind. True I don't venture on here much anymore. Every once in awhile
I'll read through some threads but rarely post anything. I did see a thread about crank
bearings some guy was having abit of trouble installing so I figure what the heck and gave him pointers on how I do it. Then I saw my buddy ole Sawtroll still shaking those Husky pom poms and wearing that blue dress with the H on it bashing ole No.1 I couldn't resist tapping him on the noggin, gently of course. Note I didn't tell him just how bad we're killing them, trust me its bad but I'm not the type to rub it in on my buddy, no need to, he already knows,haha

Hey there Wind. True I don't venture on here much anymore. Every once in awhile
I'll read through some threads but rarely post anything. I did see a thread about crank
bearings some guy was having abit of trouble installing so I figure what the heck and gave him pointers on how I do it. Then I saw my buddy ole Sawtroll still shaking those Husky pom poms and wearing that blue dress with the H on it bashing ole No.1 I couldn't resist tapping him on the noggin, gently of course. Note I didn't tell him just how bad we're killing them, trust me its bad but I'm not the type to rub it in on my buddy, no need to, he already knows,haha
wish you still posted here regularly. i always enjoyed your posts.

Who didn't? :D

...but apparently he still believes the ol' halv truths that the VB guys are telling him....
and what should we believe about the stuff you tell us???? picking up my new 2260 today, wonder how long it run before it breaks down...............:D

Of anyone here, I think Mr. T Hall is his own man and does not believe half of what they tell him in VA Beach. He goes by what he sells out of his Crab& Saw shack there in the South, which always seems to be a lot. I have to agree on the sales numbers though. There are still about 10:1 Stihl to Husky dealers here in the PNW and I see almost all Stihl saws here being used by fallers and arborists.

Who didn't? :D

...but apparently he still believes the ol' halv truths that the VB guys are telling him....
Hot diggy dog you ole geezer , you have responded and now its like ole times,hehe. Half truth, oh my you do know better. Oh I know when you been playing second fiddle since forever its hard to catch up. However ole buddy your falling farther behind it seems every year. Used to be Husky was always a bigger outfit than Stihl mainly because they were into so many other products Stihl didn't manufacture. Even though Stihl always killed them in small handheld power equipment sales Husky was still a bigger operation producing other lines of products. That was until 2014. In 2014 Stihl had grown so much they now employee as many people as Husky yet still producing mainly nothing but small power equipment. Husky on the other hand has the same amount of employee's but their product offering is still way more than Stihl. They produce much more than just small handheld power equipment. Think about all those mowers and such at Sears. Now think about that ole buddy. Stihl needs as many people to keep up in production of their handheld power equipment as Husky does for their entire product offering which is many times larger than Stihl. In other words in like products made by both companies Stihl is, how is a nice way to put, slaughtering the competition. They are so far ahead of everyone else in handheld power equipment sales the other outfits couldn't catch them riding a rocket ship.

Now SawTroll you gotta change your tactics. You gotta find a way to produce more sales, not just do back flips in the blue dress with the big H logo on it, wink!!!

Now SawTroll you gotta change your tactics. You gotta find a way to produce more sales, not just do back flips in the blue dress with the big H logo on it, wink!!!

What I am calling halv truths inthis context is mainly selective use of statistics. ;)

I don't see any need to change any tactics, as I am not attempting to sell anything. This means I am free to report things as I see them, without following the "policy" os any brands or companies. :D

By the way, how is Demi and Davy doing? :lol:

A guy I know bought one. I cut 2 cords with it. It worked and rattled me to pieces. It absolutely would not dig/pull. My wrists hurt bad. Also terribly hard to start cold. I own a husqvarna 445 very smooth and surprisingly powerful IMO. I was cutting red and white oak no bigger than
14" and some smaller sourwood. It should have ripped the sourwood to pieces. It wouldn't. Ran the 445 against it. Both saws 18" bars and Stihl aggressive chains. The 445 beat it by at least two seconds every time. And my 445 has cut at least 250 cords.

What I am calling halv truths inthis context is mainly selective use of statistics. ;)

I don't see any need to change any tactics, as I am not attempting to sell anything. This means I am free to report things as I see them, without following the "policy" os any brands or companies. :D

By the way, how is Demi and Davy doing? :lol:
There is no tactics when it comes to cold hard facts, the numbers do not lie. Of course we can all argue over which model is better than the other, which has more features than the other but the one thing we can't argue over is who sells the most of all models. Sales is what all these companies are interested in, the rest of the hoop la doesn't mean beans to them. Remember ole buddy sales is what pays for everything. All the R&R, all the salaries, keeping the factories running, sales pay for it all. Without sales there is nothing.

Demi went no count and Davy went and found another more modest goat. Hell last I heard they even went and sold the Lisa Marie. I'm telling you ole buddy the world is a ever changing place, not always for the good either. Some things remain the same though, like you and me. We pester each other all in fun but you know I would back you up in a heartbeat if you needed me, cheers!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back