Do you know every tree in your woodlot?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H-Ranch

Some things happen for a reason
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I noticed this tree was down right away this morning when I looked out the window. You guys might not see it because you're not familiar with my woods, but do you notice when something changes in your woodlot?down tree.jpg

we knew dad had alzheimers when he couldn't remember where he parked the truck a few years ago.
images

I think I do. I hike the woods with my pup every day, and spot all manner of trees, animals, their sign, and an occasional balloon that has fallen from the sky. Then, every once in a while, I'll find something I've never seen before. But, I have every dead tree marked, and in my head, I know which of them I will harvest next:

I think I do. I hike the woods with my pup every day, and spot all manner of trees, animals, their sign, and an occasional balloon that has fallen from the sky. Then, every once in a while, I'll find something I've never seen before. But, I have every dead tree marked, and in my head, I know which of them I will harvest next:
I don't have a 360° video record or even hike mine every day, though I do make an occasional round to see what is new. There are a number of dead ash that I'm waiting on to come down and the original photo was one of them. Unfortunately it got hung up so now I have to deal with that.

In certain areas I do. This is a tree rich farm, literally thousands of standing dead and decent branches around. I only take a small amount every year. The wood market is just not robust enough to do more than that, not for what I could get for it. I am sure at less than a hundred a cord I could sell tons, but..ain't gonna do that, too much work and wear and tear and maintenance required to sell cheap like that.

More or less I can see when something happens to any significant tree in my wood lot. A couple years ago two trees next to each other were struck by lighting. Noticed that right away.

I can't possibly know every tree, but I know a lot of them - about 40 acres of hills & valleys. Sometimes I find myself looking at and inventorying trees while deer hunting. Wonder how many deer I walked past and never saw.....

Wish the family wood lot was still in the family. I knew that 35 acres like the back of my hand. I was in college when my Gram had to sell it off.

Wish the family wood lot was still in the family. I knew that 35 acres like the back of my hand. I was in college when my Gram had to sell it off.
The state land I grew up next to had miles and miles of trails - I knew every turn, every hill, every bump, every mud hole, and where all the best berry picking was. My brothers and I spent thousands of hours there growing up. Good times. Sorry the timing didn't work out better for you to keep the family property in your name.

Too bad it was sold off; that would be tough.

My land has been in the family for over 100 years and I grew up roaming it. I hope I never have to sell it.

Latest posts

Back