PNW/Rocky mountains - Could this be a Douglas fir (limited info)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteMike

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know this is going to be nearly impossible to give a definitive answer because of the limited info I’m giving but I wanted to see if others think this might be a Douglas fir just based off of the bark. It was part of a recent burn so there is no other way for me to try to ID it. All of the needles and cones are gone. Looking at it from a distance, the branch size/spacing and the top of the tree resembles a red fir. This tree is also still suspiciously standing close to the road (which has me doubting that it’s a red) but it’s also quite a ways back in the woods. The color of the bark looks like a red fir, the texture sort of does but not exactly. The butt on this tree is also at least 36”. I’ve never seen a red fir that size and I know that with these specific trees as they get older, the bark changes. There is also some red coloring under the bark when i scrape it away. I’m not sure what else it could be. I can easily spot a green Doug fir but this bark has me confused because the bark slightly resembles one (more so than any other tree), but not 100% in my mind. this is also the oldest red fir I’ve ever seen that is standing dead. What I typically see in the woods is white pine, white fir, hemlock, ponderosa, tamarack and red fir (both of which are more rare to see standing dead because that’s what everyone goes after for firewood)

IMG_0808.jpeg
IMG_0810.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0811.jpeg
    IMG_0811.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back