Any suggestions on how to build a bullet proof 4 way?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blkcloud

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I may be asking for too much.. After tearing my 4 way up 3 times I thought I had it. Started with a piece of 2x6 rect. Tubing, added a 1/4 x 3 hot rolled flat strap around the tubing to prevent it from tearing open, then welded my wings on.. As you can see.. The hot roll flat ripped open.. Who wudda thunk?? Now what??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 122
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 100
Make the slip over a lot thicker, mine are 3/8". Don't use a piece of rectangle tubing use two separate pieces, bend them and fit them. I have not had any problems with mine.
Good luck.

You want it BULLET PROOF, copy Timberwolf!

My Timberwolf will split anything and everything and keep on ticking!! AND, it's a "slip on" 4-way...

SR

Actually the tubing didn't really fail ... The 1/4 plate I used as a strap failed.. The metal just ripped open..

I used cutting edges off of a dozed to make mine. Heated the metal up first and stick welded into a V. Then welded the wings on.
It's as stubborn as I am!

Ted

Ditto making it solid as close to where it slips over as possible. If there are air gaps, the metal can move. You are putting a LOT of force on the pieces, and with it deflecting every time it goes through a log will weaken it over time (technically if it's plastic deformation).

I have a slip over 4-way but it actually goes in front of the existing wedge, and just a strap slips over so it doesn't pull off of the 2-way wedge if the ram is reversed.

Back