Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see so many pictures on here of saws that are getting worked on but are still covered in grime, it blows my mind. The first thing I do before I even think about before doing any work at all is clean the funk out of all the nooks and crannies. First air, then a spray solvent- I like brake cleaner bc it comes out like a cannon- then more air. I use the parts washer sometimes, but I'm too cheap for real parts wash solution so I just use kerosene in it; cleans well but doesn't leave the parts dry like brake clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here here!! I agree, Gives me the willies seeing a cruddy saw being worked on, serviced without being somewhat cleaned first. lol
At risk of sounding like the beer guy...I don't clean my saws as often as I should, but when I do, I usually use air and a spray bottle of purple power or some such, I grab at the dollar store. Which reminds me I need to get a new bottle. Mine froze in the shop, and emptied itself. :(

Gregg,

How do you guys clean your saws when you first get them for tear down? Here is what I do. Air, parts brushes, scrapers if they are really grimy. I disassemble as much as possible and put pieces in parts washer that I can. Than take other parts and wash off by hand. Once complete blow everything off with air again to dry. Than proceed to rebuild with what is needed.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Partial disassemble, spray everything with dollar store Totally Awesome, let it sit for a while and hose off. When its too cold to be playing outside with a hose I use one of these
images
the same cheapo cleaner, a wash bin and small brushes.

How do you guys clean your saws when you first get them for tear down? Here is what I do. Air, parts brushes, scrapers if they are really grimy. I disassemble as much as possible and put pieces in parts washer that I can. Than take other parts and wash off by hand. Once complete blow everything off with air again to dry. Than proceed to rebuild with what is needed.

Pretty much use the same procedure -- not necessarily in the same order depending on the condition of the saw and type of crud. My secret weapon is a Vacula pistol air nozzle. Not your dad's air nozzle or just another pistol nozzle. Very powerful but also has an incredibly sensitive trigger for also doing very delicate low pressure work. They're not cheap, but worth every penny. You'll need at least a 20 ~ 30 gal tank to keep from constantly cycling the pump. I get by with a 35 gallon tank, no problem. It'll literally blow away the spooge and funk you'd otherwise need to scrape or soak. This is a steal...

http://www.amazon.com/Vacula-VAC72-020-1050-Inch-Full-Flow/dp/B000KSPDVS

I assume that the PP version of the S25DA is the same as the regular Poulan version correct? Found this one on the very cheap, but gonna need to find some parts to get it back to life it seems. Muffler and clutch cover and at least a piston if not a cyl too. Haven't torn it down yet...
d90b30c5c1b1531a97e825d87af1f23e.jpg

fbbb417a7c944300610292274c022681.jpg

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Here here!! I agree, Gives me the willies seeing a cruddy saw being worked on, serviced without being somewhat cleaned first. lol
At risk of sounding like the beer guy...I don't clean my saws as often as I should, but when I do, I usually use air and a spray bottle of purple power or some such, I grab at the dollar store. Which reminds me I need to get a new bottle. Mine froze in the shop, and emptied itself. :(

Gregg,

I use the purple stuff religiously, I buy it by the gallon and mix it in a garden sprayer with water. I use it to clean the dirtbikes and ATVs, the splitter after a hard weekend of use, anything really. I used to get the Castrol Super Clean, but thats high $$- now I look for "Purple Power", not bad when you buy a gallon jug and cut it 50/50 or so with water.

DrewUth, I have a question. When you use brake cleaner, are you quick about it or do you let it soak and stay on the saw and it's respective parts? My thought would be, and I could be wrong, is that it would peel the saws finish if left on for too long. Also, what about plastics? I've never used brake cleaner before, thus the question. Thanks, Max.

DrewUth, I have a question. When you use brake cleaner, are you quick about it or do you let it soak and stay on the saw and it's respective parts? My thought would be, and I could be wrong, is that it would peel the saws finish if left on for too long. Also, what about plastics? I've never used brake cleaner before, thus the question. Thanks, Max.

I spray it on and then blow it with air. Maybe slight discoloration (because it dries stuff out), but I've never had it peel paint. In fact, thats why I use brake cleaner over carb clean- because carb clean does melt paint in my experience. Brake cleaner is less abusive than carb cleaner in my opinion.

Okay, I hear you. Agreed, carb cleaner will go to town on a saws finish. I will have to try brake cleaner in the future. I use Purple Power, air, brushes, towels, just about everything to clean my equipment and tools. I'm definitely not OCD about it, but I like a clean saw. Easier to work on and take care of, plus I just like doing it.

Okay, I hear you. Agreed, carb cleaner will go to town on a saws finish. I will have to try brake cleaner in the future. I use Purple Power, air, brushes, towels, just about everything to clean my equipment and tools. I'm definitely not OCD about it, but I like a clean saw. Easier to work on and take care of, plus I just like doing it.

The kerosene in my parts washer works great and is harmless. 9 out of 10 times it is all I need, but occasionally I want the saw DRY- and that's where the brake clean comes in.

Cotton underbritches make great garage rags, all my holey underpants get tossed in the rag bin...after they get run through the washer one last time lol :dumb: nothing makes someone flinch when they're working on something in your shop and ask for a rag, and you toss em a pair of underwear. Riding motorsickles means the tail of mine get worn thin real fast.

Cotton underbritches make great garage rags, all my holey underpants get tossed in the rag bin...after they get run through the washer one last time lol :dumb: nothing makes someone flinch when they're working on something in your shop and ask for a rag, and you toss em a pair of underwear. Riding motorsickles means the tail of mine get worn thin real fast.

bike pic? heres mine. poulan in pic, just to keep it legit...

IMG_0636.JPG

I spray it on and then blow it with air. Maybe slight discoloration (because it dries stuff out), but I've never had it peel paint. In fact, thats why I use brake cleaner over carb clean- because carb clean does melt paint in my experience. Brake cleaner is less abusive than carb cleaner in my opinion.

I only use brake cleaner on non-painted metal parts and either wipe it off or let it evaporate on it's own. Rapid/forced evaporation of brake cleaner by using compressed air as a drying process will actually freeze it and the associated surface(s)....almost like liquid nitrogen. Found out the hard way hosing off a crank and bearings still installed in a case that got some dirty parts cleaner it that I wanted to rinse out. Sprayed everything down real nice and spun the crank a bunch while holding the case upside down to drain the excess brake cleaner out. Blew dry with compressed air to get the rest and froze everything solid. Not good. Realized what happened and immediately got some oil into the bearings and things finally loosened up nicely after thawing, but I 'bout $hit myself when it happened. Lesson learned.

And I don't even use carb cleaner on carbs unless they're really old and not likely to have any plastic innards. Use my USC instead.

I assume that the PP version of the S25DA is the same as the regular Poulan version correct? Found this one on the very cheap, but gonna need to find some parts to get it back to life it seems. Muffler and clutch cover and at least a piston if not a cyl too. Haven't torn it down yet...
d90b30c5c1b1531a97e825d87af1f23e.jpg

fbbb417a7c944300610292274c022681.jpg

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Yup, There pretty much same saw. The PP yellow ones have a one piece cover on the right side to cover clutch, bar & muffler. Makes them look a lot wider, fatter if you will. But really aren't that different.

Gregg,

I prefer to use old holey underwear and spit to clean my saws. :)

Only thing is, it usually itches something fierce when I put them back on hahahahaha!

You guys wear underwear? :laughing:

Gregg,

Latest posts

Back