Paulownia?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zogger

Tree Freak
Reaction score
That is the closest I can find for this guy doing some searches. Grand total of one around here, hugemongous leaves on this thin sapling. They are like 14 inch or so across. This tree I think is only a year and a half old, at least I noticed it last year early. Anyone else got a good guess? Says a common name is empress tree or foxglove tree, never heard of either.

Attachments

• IMG_20140818_183310.jpg
    IMG_20140818_183310.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 89
Yes, it is paulownia. Empress tree, princess tree. Very fast growing invasive with wind-borne seeds that can travel a long way.

I live in Sevier County, TN (Smoky Mtns. area) and have at least 4 Paulownia trees up here that I think are invaders. I cut one down over the Winter because it was crowding a power line. I cut it up and let it dry for about 3 months before I tried it in the wood stove.....where it crackled and popped, but barely burned. It is this very light, white wood that is hard to split. Also, the stump from the tree I took down will not die! It keeps putting out rhizomes or something that I have to hack down every few days. How long do you have to season this stuff to make it burn good (I'll probably use it for an outdoor fire pit.) Also, how do you kill the stumps? It is so hard to split by hand that I am dreading the whole experience of cutting the other trees down. Any advice regarding Paulownias and their firewood potential would be appreciated.

Cheers, Reggie.

I live in Sevier County, TN (Smoky Mtns. area) and have at least 4 Paulownia trees up here that I think are invaders. I cut one down over the Winter because it was crowding a power line. I cut it up and let it dry for about 3 months before I tried it in the wood stove.....where it crackled and popped, but barely burned. It is this very light, white wood that is hard to split. Also, the stump from the tree I took down will not die! It keeps putting out rhizomes or something that I have to hack down every few days. How long do you have to season this stuff to make it burn good (I'll probably use it for an outdoor fire pit.) Also, how do you kill the stumps? It is so hard to split by hand that I am dreading the whole experience of cutting the other trees down. Any advice regarding Paulownias and their firewood potential would be appreciated.

Cheers, Reggie.
go to your fav ag supply..some stuff that starts with a t,,that you put on the cut off stump...it works,,been there

Thanks Oly! We have a Tractor Supply here. How much is that stuff that begins with a "t?"

Prices for them have dropped quite a bit over the years. I had property outside of the DE beaches that I planted about 30 Paulownia on in 1996, sold the property last year and it wasn't even worth cutting them down and hauling them out. Told the new owner to keep an eye on the market and an eye on his trees!

If anybody is willing to give 3k for a 20 inch paulownia please let me know because I'll be rich. The media writes some stupid **** to get people going.

I'm not saying it's okay for people to go stealing trees, I'm just saying it's a unique situation when someone can get that kind of money for a tree.

Kind of like the black walnut myth

When I lived in the hills of Virginee, folks called it coffee wood. During the '80s there was a lucrative export market in Japan for slow growth, tight-grained logs. The BILs would borrow my old Jeep to harvest 'em and drag the logs down the mountain. Didn't know if they were legal with it and didn't wanna know.

It makes beautiful furniture and I believe some musical instruments. From what I understand, the market for these logs has pretty much gone to pot.

Back