Stihl 241C cutting performance, chain and bar choices. 63PS-picco Vs. .26RS-.325 Vs .23RSP-.050, "23RS-Pro", 3690 Stihl chain.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Del_

3% Neanderthal...... 2% Denisovan
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've been loving my Stihl 241C even since I brought it home new from the dealership about a year and a half ago. I got it with a 16" bar, .050 gauge with two 3/8 picco RS chains. It's a quick little saw on wood up to ten inches or so in diameter and a great saw for cutting smaller brush up to firewood, stumping small weed tree saplings and trimming small trees and crepe myrtles.

I found a second 241C on Facebook Market place for $200. It's in great shape and it came with a 16 bar 3/8 picco 0.050" (1.3 mm) gauge. It came with an RS type chain but is not a Stihl chain. The chain that came on it is 0.043" (1.1 mm) gauge, and of course this does't work out well.

I've since come across about 50ft. of new Stihl RS .325" .063 1.6mm gauge chain.

I've read that the .375 PS is faster than the .325RS but am wondering:

What is the real difference between the two chains?

It looks like I'm going to find out as there is no way I can leave almost 50ft of new .325RS sitting on the shelf.

Stihl 241C 004.JPG

Once I get into bigger wood I use a Stihl 362CM wearing a 20" bar, .050 gauge 3/8 pitch chain.

If I was gonna run .325 on a 241 is would be the RSP, that sh!t cuts fast.

I was reading up on the RSP .325. It does sound good and fast.

I see that it is .050 gauge so that alone would make it cut a narrower kerf than my .063 .325.

I've always wondered why Stihl .325 is .063.

It looks like the depth gauge is the easiest to see visual difference.

I was hoping my half roll of .325 would turn out to be RSP, but it isn't. Damn.

I was reading up on the RSP .325. It does sound good and fast.

I see that it is .050 gauge so that alone would make it cut a narrower kerf than my .063 .325.

I've always wondered why Stihl .325 is .063.

It looks like the depth gauge is the easiest to see visual difference.

I was hoping my half roll of .325 would turn out to be RSP, but it isn't. Damn.

I'm not so sure gauge is the deciding factor in the width of the cutter, I've held 50 and 63 gauge chains up beside each other by the same maker and the cutter width was identical. The RSP is designed as narrow kerf and certainly cuts faster than standard .325

I'm convinced!
I've been down a rabbit hole for the past couple of hours reading up and shopping for such chain and bars.

Stihl says 20% faster and lots of folks are very positive about .325RSP. Thanks for putting me on to it. I see after searching it's a much discussed chain.

I'd like to get a 16 or 18" light Stihl bar but have been having trouble finding what I need at the Stihl site.

Do you have the Stihl part numbers handy?

I'm not so sure gauge is the deciding factor in the width of the cutter, I've held 50 and 63 gauge chains up beside each other by the same maker and the cutter width was identical. The RSP is designed as narrow kerf and certainly cuts faster than standard .325
Are you buying this at a local dealer or online? I'd like to get a couple loops of it but none of the local dealers I've stopped at carries it.

Are you buying this at a local dealer or online? I'd like to get a couple loops of it but none of the local dealers I've stopped at carries it.
The local dealers that have a roll of 0.325 pitch 0.050 gauge likely have the code 3690 23rspro and don't know it. That is how I got my first loop and it must be almost 3 years ago by now. It is my understanding that the earlier 0.050 and 00.063 gauge was the same thing just necked down drive links. The new stuff has drive links like the 3/8lp in that there is no necking down just a flat sheet to use for drive link material. In my case the dealer used the wrong splicing component as the 3690 code the bushing portion of the preset tie strap is shorter.

The local dealers that have a roll of 0.325 pitch 0.050 gauge likely have the code 3690 23rspro and don't know it. That is how I got my first loop and it must be almost 3 years ago by now. It is my understanding that the earlier 0.050 and 00.063 gauge was the same thing just necked down drive links. The new stuff has drive links like the 3/8lp in that there is no necking down just a flat sheet to use for drive link material. In my case the dealer used the wrong splicing component as the 3690 code the bushing portion of the preset tie strap is shorter.
My local dealer doesn't stock any rolls, just loops.

OK you used plural dealers in post #6. If you do ebay put the 3690 in your search with stuff like Stihl, chain. There was a seller that had a lot of Stihl chain of various sorts, but they seem to now have strange brand (copperhead). Initially the 23rsp was offered in Husky loop sizes like 72 and 78. This chain might have been intended for their yet to go on sale battery saw. There may be 3 more variants coming, two micro two super, two with bumper drive links two without.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2353494677...xahvQo9kqTcfL+XuI3ESoFRMq1|tkp:Bk9SR7iVwPCbYw

OK you used plural dealers in post #6. If you do ebay put the 3690 in your search with stuff like Stihl, chain. There was a seller that had a lot of Stihl chain of various sorts, but they seem to now have strange brand. Initially the 23rsp was offered in Husky loop sizes like 72 and 78. This chain might have been intended for their yet to go on sale battery saw. There may be 3 more variants coming, two micro two super, two with bumper drive links two without.
Allow me to rephrase, my local dealer doesn't carry it, and the couple non-local dealers I've stopped at didn't have it either.

Latest posts

Back