Question on chain saw bar and chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take a picture of the bar info. I can’t believe it’s .325 and .63. That doesn’t make sense. You should be running .325 and .50
.325 pitch, 0.063 gauge was OEM standard on MS250 and MS260 series saws in the US for many years.

No one could tell me why.

Heard they went to .325, ,050 early this year?

Philbert

It is quite possible that your depth gauges ( raker as some call them ) are still too high. I have noticed of late that a lot of the various gauges are too deep and contact various sections of the vise preventing a proper reading. Its sneaky if not looking for this specifically. Mini and pico chains and some low pro also are the most affected by this. The reason I mention this is I had a devil of time with my Mikta corded electric saw and the low pro 3/8-.050 chain which I had sharpened on a grinder. Just would not cut correctly- discoverd the problem mention above. milled the sides of the gauges down so no more contact with vise areas - problem resolved( took off almost and 1/8") There also some gauges included with new grinders that are 1. too deep ( see above ) and 2. all three depth slots are the same even though the are stamped as being different ( my micrometers don't lie). The top plate of the gauges are not tapered internally or externally. ( I make my own gauges now days) Chris:angry:

Just got a new Forrester grinder wheel. Looks to me like it comes with a good rounded over profile. Do I need to dress this new one or is that something I might need to do as it wears?

Attachments

• Forrester 3 16 grinder wheel showing profile.jpg
    Forrester 3 16 grinder wheel showing profile.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
.325 pitch, 0.063 gauge was OEM standard on MS250 and MS260 series saws in the US for many years.

No one could tell me why.

Heard they went to .325, ,050 early this year?

Philbert
Every last stihl I've come in contact with from the 260 on down to the 170/180 has either had .050 or .043 gauge chain on it. Driver size doesn't seem to matter. I think the gauge is more an area specific thing then stihl saying this is what you have to use.

Wheel question - answer- you may have to balance or dress it down to get to run true. those arbor holes are not what one would call prescision. I have had afew that were so bad the wheel blew before I even had a chance to true it up- exciting - shrapnel flying around.

Just got a new Forrester grinder wheel. Looks to me like it comes with a good rounded over profile. Do I need to dress this new one or is that something I might need to do as it wears?
Wheel profile leads to cutter profiles, which gets personal and wonky.

That’s certainly a good starting profile.

*** Dress the wheel lightly, each loop of chain, to constantly expose fresh, clean abrasive. ***

Every last stihl I've come in contact with from the 260 on down to the 170/180 has either had .050 or .043 gauge chain on it. Driver size doesn't seem to matter. I think the gauge is more an area specific thing then stihl saying this is what you have to use.
In the Midwest, all the MS250 and MS260 series saws came stock with .325 / .063 chain. These were what we ran with several volunteer disaster response groups, going back 20 years, or more.

Dealers shrugged their shoulders; some would change, if asked, but note that .063 gauge replacement loops is what most dealers stocked.

Typical STIHL response was ‘never explain’.

Not a big deal to me, except when someone comes back with a chain that does not fit the saws we have.

Philbert

Wheel profile leads to cutter profiles, which gets personal and wonky.

That’s certainly a good starting profile.

*** Dress the wheel lightly, each loop of chain, to constantly expose fresh, clean abrasive. ***

In the Midwest, all the MS250 and MS260 series saws came stock with .325 / .063 chain. These were what we ran with several volunteer disaster response groups, going back 20 years, or more.

Dealers shrugged their shoulders; some would change, if asked, but note that .063 gauge replacement loops is what most dealers stocked.

Typical STIHL response was ‘never explain’.

Not a big deal to me, except when someone comes back with a chain that does not fit the saws we have.

Philbert
Interesting, not that its hard to get .063 here, but .050 is much more prevalent, at least in .325.

Latest posts

Back