Changing Bar Pitch on Stihl MS261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi I’m John, I like to ask questions to revive threads Lol. So I’m in the same boat with everything being 3/8 .50 ( 18 & 20” rollomatic) I just bought an es light bar to try on my MS 310. So just to clarify if I were to purchase an MS 261 I just need to swap out the rim to 3/8 7t?

bought an es light bar to try on my MS 310. So just to clarify if I were to purchase an MS 261 I just need to swap out the rim to 3/8 7t?

Correct.

If you buy a new MS261, a good dealer will swap the 261 drive sprocket and bar...and, sell you a MS261 3/8" saw all ready to run your MS310 bar and the 3/8" bar which will come with the saw.

Roy

I still think picco super is the best on a 261, yesterday I had on a 13 inch picco bar&chain, normalt 16 inc I use, Dam that chain cuts crazy fast!
So my plan is to run my 201tc and the 261 most of the time, and bring the 310 out occasionally as it’s a heavy girl!(can’t part with it sentimental reasons) 🥹

Drive sprocket, bar, and chain have to match.

I hear that MS261’s now come with .325 pitch, .050 gauge bars and chain. So, you would need a bar that matched too.

Philbert
My hope was to be able to use my new 18” rollomatic or the 20” es light that I bought for my 310? All chains and bars are 3/8 pitch .50 gauge running Stihl yellow chain.

My hope was to be able to use my new 18” rollomatic or the 20” es light that I bought for my 310? All chains and bars are 3/8 pitch .50 gauge running Stihl yellow chain.
Right. But most saws are sold with a bar, so you might as well have the dealer swap one out that would be compatible with your ‘system’.

Philbert

As several have said if you buy a new saw have the dealer swap it out before you accept it. Also do not let them bullpucky you about an "upcharge". It is their duty as a servicing dealer to properly prepare the saw for the customer and their should not be an additional charge to set it up the way you want it with a 18-20" 3/8 bar, chain, and rim.

As several have said if you buy a new saw have the dealer swap it out before you accept it. Also do not let them bullpucky you about an "upcharge". It is their duty as a servicing dealer to properly prepare the saw for the customer and their should not be an additional charge to set it up the way you want it with a 18-20" 3/8 bar, chain, and rim.
they only thing they might do is question, "why do you want to do that? as it will cut slower". they tried that with my first 261C, then i told them because my other 2 saws are 3/8th .05 gauge, and I don't want multiple chains, that's why. they said that makes sense and haven't questioned me since lol.

they only thing they might do is question, "why do you want to do that? as it will cut slower". they tried that with my first 261C, then i told them because my other 2 saws are 3/8th .05 gauge, and I don't want multiple chains, that's why. they said that makes sense and haven't questioned me since lol.
They can question it but just remember you are the man buying the saw and helping keep their lights on. If you want your business then within reason they will do what you ask. With that being said if you requested them to change it to a 36".................well that would be a bit different. We need to remember we are all different. I run a 20" on my 026, 034, 044, 046, 440, 066, and 660. I even 20-25" on the 084, 090 and 09G but they are .404. I have a 24" on the 395's with all other Husky's running 20"

That makes me feel better! I always feel like I’m bothering them when I ask questions.

They can question it but just remember you are the man buying the saw and helping keep their lights on. If you want your business then within reason they will do what you ask. With that being said if you requested them to change it to a 36".................well that would be a bit different. We need to remember we are all different. I run a 20" on my 026, 034, 044, 046, 440, 066, and 660. I even 20-25" on the 084, 090 and 09G but they are .404. I have a 24" on the 395's with all other Husky's running 20"
So this is what I’m running into around where I live, the dealer that has stock and can get any commercial saw I want is not super helpful they will only sell it the way it comes and I have to purchase the sprocket separate and do it myself. The other dealer is super nice and helpful, have a great relationship with them but they can’t get any of the pro saws in must not do enough volume with Stihl. 😑

So this is what I’m running into around where I live, the dealer that has stock and can get any commercial saw I want is not super helpful they will only sell it the way it comes and I have to purchase the sprocket separate and do it myself. The other dealer is super nice and helpful, have a great relationship with them but they can’t get any of the pro saws in must not do enough volume with Stihl. 😑
that's dodgy. Sounds like the first dealer is lazy. The 2 Stihl dealers I use are 50min from each other in different states. One is a Husky/Sthil dealer, and they have ex loggers working for them and won't sell me just the PH, other dealer will. But both have swapped out rims on my 261 and 201tc chains from .043-gauge safety to .05 gauge yellow chain.

that's dodgy. Sounds like the first dealer is lazy. The 2 Stihl dealers I use are 50min from each other in different states. One is a Husky/Sthil dealer, and they have ex loggers working for them and won't sell me just the PH, other dealer will. But both have swapped out rims on my 261 and 201tc chains from .043-gauge safety to .05 gauge yellow chain.
How do you like the .50 yellow on the 201? I’m still running the green .043 but have a blast cutting with that saw!

Sounds like that dealer is operating like a box store.

Back