Switching a Stihl MS362 from .325 back to 3/8 pitch. Good call?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T.Bird

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have an MS362 that the previous owner was running with a .325 pitch, 20" bar setup. I would like to get a new bar for it, and because I already have the necessary 3/8 sprocket and I also have one of Stihl's 2in1 sharpeners/file guide for 3/8 chains, I am thinking why not switch back to a 3/8 setup? That is how the 362 comes from the factory, no? I have no complaints about it's current performance, but I am curious what I might notice (good, bad, or otherwise) if I change the chain pitch. Thanks!

How was this done as the 362 has large diameter splines? Run a 9 pin rim sprocket?
I think it is standard and mini spline for Stihl and standard and small spline for others. I don't have one but read on here the 036 or some of them have a mini spline drum that will fit. If you have to go to 9 tooth drive to do .325 that would be worse than 3/8 7 tooth for most use.

I think it is standard and mini spline for Stihl and standard and small spline for others. I don't have one but read on here the 036 or some of them have a mini spline drum that will fit. If you have to go to 9 tooth drive to do .325 that would be worse than 3/8 7 tooth for most use.
Yeah, I was looking at running .325 on my 362C but there didn’t seem to be an obvious way. I went with a new 3/8 bar and kept it the same.

Oh! That's really interesting. Maybe it IS a 9 tooth drive. I'll have to check this afternoon.

Theoretically the narrower .325 would cut a little faster due to the narrower kerf. And a little smoother due to the narrower spacing between the teeth. But there's nothing wrong with 3/8. It might be interesting to run both side by side.
I think you might be a little misinformed the 325 is the pitch the drivers are probably 050 or 063 this is my guess

3/8 on this size is appropriate. .325 is under-loaded, even when sharp.

You've got a strong 60cc chainsaw, it's not a jigsaw. (over dramatic but that's the point)

I have a 9 pin .325 large spline rim from Stihl. I got it for my MS441. If I remember right it is similar size to an 8 pin 3/8. If they made an 8pin .325 rim in the large spline I would have one. I have 8pin .325 in mini and standard spline.

Yeah, I was looking at running .325 on my 362C but there didn’t seem to be an obvious way. I went with a new 3/8 bar and kept it the same.
325 9 pin large 7 spline 22mm hub
I've ran the 20" 325 050 on my 660 and other saws for testing. 325 is smoother in limbs under 6". No other gains are there. 20" isn't worth worrying about chain pitch.

Latest posts

Back