Stihl 036 Pro Bar and Chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yardiron

Reaction score
I picked up a mid 90's 036 Pro at a yard sale, the old guy who had it said he got it as a gift back then but rarely used it.
He said he gave the chain to a friend to match up and get a few spares but he never got any spares or the original chain back.
The bar is a solid tip type OEM 20" Stihl bar vs. a roller tip.
The bar is for 3/8" chain.
I doubt it came with a solid tip bar?
What bar belongs on this thing?
Any suggestions?

(I was hoping it would take take the same bar & chain as my 029 since I have a decent supply of those chains but the narrower chain seems a waste on a larger saw?
I'd also have to change out the drive sprocket but that's not a big deal.

By roller tip, are you thinking of a bar that has replaceable tips like a Stihl ES bar?
It sounds like you have a Rollomatic E bar with a non-replaceable sprocket tip, as it was a true hardnose bar without a tip sprocket the chain pitch wouldn't be specified Any of the bar types will be perfectly serviceable on your saw. The saw uses 3003 series bars.
A 20" bar is close to optimum for a Stihl 036, some people prefer and 18" while others opt for a 24". The choice is influenced by the type of wood being cut.
In addition to the chain pitch, you also need to look for the stamp on the bar indicating the driver width. The nominal would be .050", but there are a few .063" bars out there. The number of drivers for a Stihl 3/8" pitch 20" bar is 72.

By roller tip, are you thinking of a bar that has replaceable tips like a Stihl ES bar?
It sounds like you have a Rollomatic E bar with a non-replaceable sprocket tip, as it was a true hardnose bar without a tip sprocket the chain pitch wouldn't be specified Any of the bar types will be perfectly serviceable on your saw. The saw uses 3003 series bars.
A 20" bar is close to optimum for a Stihl 036, some people prefer and 18" while others opt for a 24". The choice is influenced by the type of wood being cut.
In addition to the chain pitch, you also need to look for the stamp on the bar indicating the driver width. The nominal would be .050", but there are a few .063" bars out there. The number of drivers for a Stihl 3/8" pitch 20" bar is 72.

The bar has no tip sprocket, it says Stihl Duramatic Made in West Germany. The box it and some other parts came in was marked Stihl 040. The bar has some markings near the mount but they're not readable. All I can make out is a 0.50 S5 on one line and 86-1 on the second line The first part of each line is not readable. The bar fits and seems to line up with the studs and oil port but I really don't need a solid tip bar. The 81 DL, .325 pitch chain from my 029AV won't fit in the groove.

I cleaned up the solid tip bar and was able to read all the numbers, its a 3003 000 8621.
The logo on the bar and the fact that it still reads 'West Germany" tells me its likely from the 80's.

The only 3/8 - .050 72 link chain I have here has brazed on teeth and a few are missing.
I'll have to order a few new Stihl chains for it I guess.

Why would they have made a solid tip bar?
I would think that the solid tip would create more drag and use more power?

I dug through my pile of old chains but no 3/8" - 050 72DL chains on hand.
I guess I have to order a few online. None of the local stores stock them for some reason.
The last good saw shop went away years ago here, the guy got old and retired and
nothing opened up to replace him. Its big box store or a few ACE hardware stores or the web.

Back