MS 271 or Echo?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tough question. I WAS at $350. However, when I was considering the 291 I was at $460 with the 20" blade. I didn't think I needed a 20" though, so couldn't justify the price.

I'm comfortable at $350, but would raise that if I felt a saw at that price would be less than what I needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tough question. I WAS at $350. However, when I was considering the 291 I was at $460 with the 20" blade. I didn't think I needed a 20" though, so couldn't justify the price.

I'm comfortable at $350, but would raise that if I felt a saw at that price would be less than what I needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You have two options then. Either get the 590 and save some $$$ ( you won't be dissapointed)
OR
You can take that money and go to the trading post and get yourself a more powerful, but older saw. I just picked up a husky 288xp for $400 with a bar and 2 chains.

Deals can be found on here, you just have to look and be patient.

That being said I have a very nice 028 woodboss that needs fuel lines in the trading post ripe for he picking. Same with an 025 but it needs a back cover as well.

And an 026 that's a great candidate for a rebuild( needs a clutch and air filter assembly )

I'd vote 590. It will pull a 20" bar no problem. Better built then the 270 faster cutting and most likely cheaper.IMG_20170308_135417.jpgwished mine was back from porting when I got the call to take all this apart.

Sounds like your set on the stihl. You won't regret buying a stihl, but im sure you would the echo. We have both here and the echo products are junk. Spend the money on the stihl and you not only buy your confidence in the product, but the dealer as well from the sounds of it.

Sounds like your set on the stihl. You won't regret buying a stihl, but im sure you would the echo. We have both here and the echo products are junk. Spend the money on the stihl and you not only buy your confidence in the product, but the dealer as well from the sounds of it.

I'm not sold on anything, really. I'm just here for advice. I WAS sold in Stihl until I found out I could buy a new Echo 590 with a 20" bar for $320.

over the decades i have what --hundreds of saws? most of them huskys, j-reds and stihls and most of them served well in logging and pulpwooding-- in the worst conditions you could run a saw too--

one of the biggest piles of crap ever sold to me was a MS290 that i used just for firewood cutting-- i think i would recommend one of those china no-name saws above one-- thats how bad that that 290 stunk.

sithl has made some of the best saws ever --like the 044/440 --and they have also turned out a lot of over priced, plastic split case imported crap as homeowner/farm fodder/ box store sucker bait --

i avoid that entire line of saws since--

when my 290 bit the big one i didn't even try to fix it-- straight to the scrap bin it went.

He also bought it from Home Depot which is probably 65% of the problem. I've taken my echos to my dealer ( some were bought 2nd hand) and they still honored the warranty . No problems here

He also bought it from Home Depot which is probably 65% of the problem. I've taken my echos to my dealer ( some were bought 2nd hand) and they still honored the warranty . No problems here
Don't know. I'm a Stihl guy. Used products new and used for over 30 years without problems. Mostly pro saws. When I do need parts, awesome dealer 10 minutes away. Still have 028 Super bought new over 20 years ago. Husky, Dolmar, Echo all make great products.
What do you cut with David?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Don't know. I'm a Stihl guy. Used products new and used for over 30 years without problems. Mostly pro saws. When I do need parts, awesome dealer 10 minutes away. Still have 028 Super bought new over 20 years ago. Husky, Dolmar, Echo all make great products.
What do you cut with David?

Stihl and echo . But I just bought a husky 288xp and they're supposed to be amazing.
Stihl- 201tcm 441cm
Echo-cs-590
Husky-288xp

if just cleaning up stuff a good 50cc saws works well IMAG0234.jpg IMAG0230 1.jpg IMAG0227.jpg

This 50cc saw handles this size tree well and will cut it everyday fine.... But if I was bucking a lot of this Or bigger.. I would want a bigger saw I like to get done faster ... Stihl makes a good product I just think there over priced on homeowner saws... They all cut wood fine just have to find what fits your needs
Best to go Handle them how they feel what they weigh all plays a part as does what you will cut....

The other observation on Echo 590 Timberwolf is that most everyone recommends pulling carb limiters and muffler mod etc because set too lean which would void warranty. But I'm sure you'll never have these problems .

On the CS590 you can pull the limiter caps tune and put them back on and no one will ever know, the biggest restriction in the muff is the deflector which need to be opened up, if on the fat chance the warranty was need just buy a new deflector. No rocket science for a saw that has twice the quality and power of the 271 or 291 Stihl saws. You really have to have its a Stihl mentality to buy one of those saws. Or get a Dolmar which is better than those Stihl saws everywhere. Steve

I'm not sold on anything, really. I'm just here for advice. I WAS sold in Stihl until I found out I could buy a new Echo 590 with a 20" bar for $320.

Listen to reason, not a Stihl fanboy. The 590 is a waaaaaay better saw than a 271/291...no comparison, really. Anyone who says Echo products are junk are full of it.

On the CS590 you can pull the limiter caps tune and put them back on and no one will ever know, the biggest restriction in the muff is the deflector which need to be opened up, if on the fat chance the warranty was need just buy a new deflector. No rocket science for a saw that has twice the quality and power of the 271 or 291 Stihl saws. You really have to have its a Stihl mentality to buy one of those saws. Or get a Dolmar which is better than those Stihl saws everywhere. Steve
Most all new mufflers are choked down.

I don't know if it makes a difference to anyone's opinion, but I can get the new Echo 590 with a 20" bar for $295 new with the sale they are having. The Stihl MS 271 is $389.

Back