Dolmar 421problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dolmar had a good thing going... not anymore. I'll not try a Chinese makita.
Well then throw away your car, mobile phone, tv, pad, etc. Hardly a chance of not having any chinese made parts inside or completely made in china. Start learning to forge your own stuff, but don't forget that chinese steel is being dumped onto us shores, so hardly a chance there.

When I asked the local dealer about it this afternoon he said the plastic is made in China all other parts are still German and he said the saws are assembled in the new Buford Georgia Plant??? Don't know where he gets his info from. I would think if they were assembled in Georgia the sticker would read made in the USA.

Well then throw away your car, mobile phone, tv, pad, etc. Hardly a chance of not having any chinese made parts inside or completely made in china. Start learning to forge your own stuff, but don't forget that chinese steel is being dumped onto us shores, so hardly a chance there.

Sad but true

May wanna swap for the teal one if it would give you more peace of mind knowing it was built in germany.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

Everybody's doing it... Chinese Stihls too. Not sure but I'm guessing Husky has some China models or will soon.
chinese built stihl trimmers is all i know about but they have Brazil cast cylinders even on pro saws......china is the well known off shore assembly/manufacturer but what about brazil, its not like they are known for quality or humane treatment of its citizens or even their great stewardship of the environment.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-...razilian-police-human-rights-crisis-un-review
http://www.copenhagenconsensus.com/publication/brazil-perspectives-air-pollution

India is another big up and coming off shoring country...they arent any better.

Its something we might as well get used to especially as US consumers because we demand the lowest possible price on everything and lots of it, that leaves few options for companies that want to be competitive in the USA market. They must cut costs, that either comes from squeezing the supply chain, lower cost labor, lower cost of doing business, lower cost of regulations or a combination of 2 or more of these items. China, Brazil, India, Mexico or a plethora of other countries are much cheaper and easier to do business in than the US or EU.

My Husky Dealer has sold (by mistake now) his inventory of Swedish 390s to other Dealers that have told him that their new 390s coming in are stamped on the metal tag Brazil.

They are getting an extra Franklin for the Swedish tagged saws. It's becoming everywhere.

I know what your saying but when theirs a ms241 or 543xp I'll just stick to them...

My Husky Dealer has sold (by mistake now) his inventory of Swedish 390s to other Dealers that have told him that their new 390s coming in are stamped on the metal tag Brazil.

They are getting an extra Franklin for the Swedish tagged saws. It's becoming everywhere.
Brazil?

They've always made some of smaller models in China when supplies were low in the past, but only when supplies were low. One thing is for sure, I don't particularly care for it. Sure Stihl and others have a lot of parts coming from China, and it's pretty obvious IMHO.

Sure I hear the whole to be comparative garbage all the time, many companies have proven that line to be total BS, thats just what companies want you to believe. Fact is it's often more cost effective to manufacture here, or in Europe.

Anyway glad you have a new saw.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

I know what your saying but when theirs a ms241 or 543xp I'll just stick to them...

Both of those are nice saws I just wish the 543xp was sold as what it really is and that is a zenoah gz4300. In my experience it doesn't perform any better than its older less expensive siblings gz4500 and gz400/4000

I don't agree with your point of view. You are carrying the argument to an absurd extreme. I wouldn't buy a Chinese-made automobile, but that doesn't mean that I should avoid an Audi because it contains a few Chinese-made bolts and other parts. There is an important difference in degree. It's not about avoiding any bit of Chinese content. It's about where (and whether) one should draw the line.

Doug

... I'm sure Makita could have continued assembling them in Germany if they wanted to lay out the money for a new plant and more workers, but would people willingly pay that extra $40-80 that those investments would have mandated? Somehow i doubt it. ...

Makita clearly agrees with you, and I suspect that they (and you) are right. Even if consumers are willing to pay a bit more for a German-made saw, the premium they are willing to pay may be less than the difference in production cost.

I hope that you are also right about the quality of these Chinese-made Makitas.

Doug

I don't agree with your point of view. You are carrying the argument to an absurd extreme. I wouldn't buy a Chinese-made automobile, but that doesn't mean that I should avoid an Audi because it contains a few Chinese-made bolts and other parts. There is an important difference in degree. It's not about avoiding any bit of Chinese content. It's about where (and whether) one should draw the line.

Doug
"few parts" is sadly an illusion and the reason is quite simple, china has by far the largest amout of rare metalls on earth(required for all modern electronics!) and they DON'T share! And electronics are the brain and nerve system in modern automobiles. Bolts and other parts can be manufactured in other countries were complete automization is available.

"few parts" is sadly an illusion and the reason is quite simple, china has by far the largest amout of rare metalls on earth(required for all modern electronics!) and they DON'T share! And electronics are the brain and nerve system in modern automobiles. Bolts and other parts can be manufactured in other countries were complete automization is available.

While the electronics in a modern automobile are important, they represent only a very small share of the total value added. There is no meaningful sense in which an Audi is a Chinese-made car. The vast majority of the value added is not Chinese. That is not an illusion, it's a fact. While one cannot avoid all Chinese content, it is certainly possible to avoid buying a Chinese-made car.

And by the way, while it's a minor point, it's not entirely accurate to claim that China "doesn't share" its rare metals. While China places restrictions on legal exports there is a large quantity of illegal exports flooding the global market, helping to keep prices low. This has discouraged other countries from producing rare metals. China's very large market share is not driven by geology, as it only has a little over a third of the world's rare earth reserves. Production in other countries can increase if necessary, and in fact there has been some increase in production elsewhere driven by concerns that China could crack down on illegal exports. If China actually does shut off illegal exports the trickle of rare metals from other countries will turn into a flood.

Doug

I have been following this thread in the background and it has been a rollercoaster....

No more Dolmar badged saws and they wanted you to go away?

This was posted on May 7th, and is still active.....

https://eugene.craigslist.org/grd/6103179135.html
CHAINSAWS DOLMAR the German made FIRST chainsaw saw built in the world is now owned by MAKITA who has been making tools for over 100 years. They are constructed with MAGNESIUM not PLASTIC LIKE OTHER WELL KNOWN BRANDS. Who ever heard of building half an engine out of plastic ? MAKITA has six magnesium built engines sizes , Rancher and PRO series 43cc to 79 cc once again built the old way , out of metal.
The sales Rep. has arranged an up coming 20% off SALE two days only call Bob for dates and details.
Only the name is changing , the DOLMAR COLOR AND QUALITY will stay the same . Call now and save

Road trip yesterday to my dealer the replacement saw has been test fired and tuned ! Ready to go! The Woods'is so wet here you need muck Boots to get in, might be a few days until I can put it in the wood. I was seriously considering trading it for a jred 2252 or husky 545. Still in the back of my mind, I'll ponder it while waiting on the woods to dry up. That's the latest!

Back