Help a dumb guy out please!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok.... You just reminded me of something my wife did recently. She converted feet to yards to sketch out a building design, only to have me have to convert it back to feet to actually lay it out. Why would you convert feet to inches only to have to convert it back to feet for the final number?

Also.. no disrespect intended and I'm not trying to be combative... Just seems like unnecessary steps. Unless you're a mathlete and geek out about that kind of stuff!

Ok.... You just reminded me of something my wife did recently. She converted feet to yards to sketch out a building design, only to have me have to convert it back to feet to actually lay it out. Why would you convert feet to inches only to have to convert it back to feet for the final number?

Also.. no disrespect intended and I'm not trying to be combative... Just seems like unnecessary steps. Unless you're a mathlete and geek out about that kind of stuff!
LOL. always had know cubic feet of trailer space we were using when i packed stuff for a co. i worked for and all the boxes we used were measured in inches. or you can use this. http://www.thecalculatorsite.com/misc/cubic-feet-calculator.php

My question is if you are talking about wood that is to be delivered to customer or wood for your stove or something else. As was mentioned you have a healthy cord on your trailer. Is it split and neatly stacked or some what thrown with random sizes. It is very difficult to manage these things in California because most people that sell wood are doing their best to cheat and fraud customers. Such as throwing a pile of wood in their truck and stacking some wood on top indicating that the whole load is stacked. So when some body wants to buy wood what should be told to them. It does not matter what size of wood you have the volume is measured height times length times width equals how many cubic feet. 30'' equals 2 1/2' feet or 2.5 feet. There is not a need to convert to inches and then back to feet. For most part people can not calculate down to 1 inch in measurements. So a foot plus .25 or 1 foot plus 1/4 of a foot will give the necessary calculations. Thanks

Yea it should be a face cord. That's how they sell it around here by the face cord. 70 to 125 each. I cut and stack 7 of them for each year and usually have some left over. This year there's still 2 out there.

I've found that with the wood furnace if it's not oak then it all heats the same.

Hello,
Everybody here is correct in the calculations, however, CaseyForrest questioned why it had to be converted to inches and then back into feet. No one here explained that very well. If your measurements are in feet and inches, then it is best to convert all 3 measurements to inches. Multiply all three together and then when you get the grand total, divide by 1728 because there are 1728 cubic inches in 1 cubic foot. Then your answer is back in cubic feet, 128 cubic feet equals 1 cord. However, if your measurements are all in feet like the original poster, 6' wide x 8'long x 3' high, just multiply the 3 numbers together to get the cubic feet. Then we know that there is 128 cubic feet in a cord.....if you divide 128 into the answer above (144) then you get 1.125 cord. Hope this makes sense and clears up any questions.

Henry and Wanda

Hello,
Everybody here is correct in the calculations, however, CaseyForrest questioned why it had to be converted to inches and then back into feet. No one here explained that very well. If your measurements are in feet and inches, then it is best to convert all 3 measurements to inches. Multiply all three together and then when you get the grand total, divide by 1728 because there are 1728 cubic inches in 1 cubic foot. Then your answer is back in cubic feet, 128 cubic feet equals 1 cord. However, if your measurements are all in feet like the original poster, 6' wide x 8'long x 3' high, just multiply the 3 numbers together to get the cubic feet. Then we know that there is 128 cubic feet in a cord.....if you divide 128 into the answer above (144) then you get 1.125 cord. Hope this makes sense and clears up any questions.

Henry and Wanda

Simpler if the inches covert easily to decimal to leave all in feet, eg. 16" = 1.3' 18" = 1.5', etc. Just multiply and the answer is in cu ft.

Back