I want to experience kickback

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When a saw chain locks in a log and the saw shoots itself directly into your groin area you kinda don't wanna do it again by choice. Its all over quicker than you can blink an eye but the pain lingers for some time.
I got it in the thy one time, as soon as it was done that was my first though, glad it wasn't a bit higher.

Your best way to avoid injury during kickback is to have the saw positioned that you can stop it once it happens. It has happened to me, and quite a few times. But I have always overpowered it because I do not cut in a position that I can not over power it. That guy in the video had no leverage or body weight to go against kick back. This is what other cutting devices are for, such as sawz-all, hand saw, even pole pruners...
The ol' rope-a-dope. I suppose it depends on 'who's' doing the throwing and who's doing the catching.
You have made some good points in terms of alternative methods.
It's not important to hold it as it is to be clear by maintaining proper saw/body position (saw to the side and not cutting across your body or standing behind it). foot work and weigh distribution plays a big part.
The only thing that will trump that in terms of kick backs is an education on known causes and mindfulness.

You could draw a parallel between running a saw and Boxing.

Its the same stance, foot work is similar and if you don't respect your opponent's power then you can stand in front of them and eat their best...as you have suggested. (The brawlers)
Then of course you have 'the technician' that doesn't stand in the pocket. He has great lateral movement with immaculate foot work, never crossing his back leg behind his front, lite on the front and steering from the back circling away from his opponents power side.

The ol' rope-a-dope. I suppose it depends on 'who's' doing the throwing and who's doing the catching.
You have made some good points in terms of alternative methods.
It's not important to hold it as it is to be clear by maintaining proper saw/body position (saw to the side and not cutting across your body or standing behind it). foot work and weigh distribution plays a big part.
The only thing that will trump that in terms of kick backs is an education on known causes and mindfulness.

You could draw a parallel between running a saw and Boxing.

Its the same stance, foot work is similar and if you don't respect your opponent's power then you can stand in front of them and eat their best...as you have suggested. (The brawlers)
Then of course you have 'the technician' that doesn't stand in the pocket. He has great lateral movement with immaculate foot work, never crossing his back leg behind his front, lite on the front and steering from the back circling away from his opponents power side.

Nice thinking, never would have made that analogy with boxing techniques. Kickback is just part of using a saw, and it will happen to everyone sooner or later.

From day one using a saw, Grandpa was cutting a tree and handed me his little McCulloch top handle saw when I was no older than eleven or twelve and he said "don't let that thing come back at ya boy, ha ha!" (I still have that saw.) I knew what could happen though it was never explained to me, just knowing that chain rolling around the tip of the bar could "snag" on something. And it did, from day one. Grandpa seen it, and said, "see I told ya boy, don't let that thing come back at ya, that thing will cut you like you were a piece of butter, ha ha!" But I was nervous and knew what I was up against from that point and also knew what I had to do to be safe. My next few minutes I was a bit timid, but cautious, and have never been scared of kickback since, and has happened countless times over the last 30 years or so.

Kickback is a lot of fun. Really. If you want to sound like Michael Jackson.

Kickback is rear. You don't want to experience it. It get worse with longer bars and heavier chains. I'm a 155 lbs and I like a chain that will bore cut and run full bar nose in the wood, but kick back is b word and always expect it to happen at any given moment, I climb and run a basket lift and my 2 go to saws are a echo 360t that loves aggressive rakers with all the torque it makes and my other top handle is my 150t modded and all anti kick back ground off. Those 2 saws will even kick n jump too. Kick back is a killer and if your lucky youl only get hurt. If your not a everyday tree guy I'd recommend not trying to experience kick back, for fire wood hacks don't position your head, neck above the cut to look down the cut just stand a bit off to the side and listen to your saw and watch the attitude or position of your saw if you can se the nose.
Note. I'm stihl alive and have a big family to live for.

Your best way to avoid injury during kickback is to have the saw positioned that you can stop it once it happens. It has happened to me, and quite a few times. But I have always overpowered it because I do not cut in a position that I can not over power it. That guy in the video had no leverage or body weight to go against kick back. This is what other cutting devices are for, such as sawz-all, hand saw, even pole pruners...

Sorry, but I disagree. The best way to avoid injury during a kickback is to keep you body out of the path that a kickback will take. After that, I think the next most important thing is to wrap your left thumb around the handlebar. It's easy to forget and lay your thumb on top, or even extend the thumb and just have the tip on the handlebar. A wrapped thumb makes it much more likely that your left hand will trigger the brake. Personally, is experienced minor kickbacks serval times also, but if you understand how it works, and how dangerous it is, I think it's incorrect to think you can just overpower an instantaneous, powerful reaction like that. Just my .02.

Sorry, but I disagree. The best way to avoid injury during a kickback is to keep you body out of the path that a kickback will take. After that, I think the next most important thing is to wrap your left thumb around the handlebar. It's easy to forget and lay your thumb on top, or even extend the thumb and just have the tip on the handlebar. A wrapped thumb makes it much more likely that your left hand will trigger the brake. Personally, is experienced minor kickbacks serval times also, but if you understand how it works, and how dangerous it is, I think it's incorrect to think you can just overpower an instantaneous, powerful reaction like that. Just my .02.
I agree.
I'm a chronic violator of the thumb wrapping, sometimes I do sometimes I don't. One thing I do is to try and be sure to always have my arm/wrist close to the break when in any sketchy situation where I know kickback is imminent as I'd rather reset the break a couple times than some of the other options.

You ever been riding your motorcycle about a 100 and had this urge to just turn the handle bars some right or left??
Yes, and much faster, and have done it although it doesn't look/feel quite as you described it as it's mostly controlled with the throttle, when it goes right it's great, when it goes wrong a low side or high side is very likely. If you are in a more controlled setting, proper safety gear and already have yrs of experience then you have a better chance coming out ok than a rookie trying to experience kickback.
Just as most all of us have learned to drift a car by getting sideways on a dirt rd or in a snow covered parking lot. I understand what the OP is wanting to do, it's just a difficult thing to stage kickback so it's "safe".

When it goes all wrong.

My worst experience with kick back was practicing bore cuts. I rolled the saw forward to start the bore and didn't have the bottom of the tip in far enough it jumped and was right beside my head before I realised what happened. If I had been standing behind the saw good chance I wouldn't be typing this.

My worst experience with kick back was practicing bore cuts. I rolled the saw forward to start the bore and didn't have the bottom of the tip in far enough it jumped and was right beside my head before I realised what happened. If I had been standing behind the saw good chance I wouldn't be typing this.
Who gave you the wise idea of doing a bore cut James lol.
Glad you learned.

I don't advise depending on the brake. It may work, it may not. I use older saws all the time that don't even have a brake. Good balance, sure footedness, saw position, and a good grip are your best defenses. The guy in the video had one, maybe two of these.

Yes, and much faster, and have done it although it doesn't look/feel quite as you described it as it's mostly controlled with the throttle, when it goes right it's great, when it goes wrong a low side or high side is very likely. If you are in a more controlled setting, proper safety gear and already have yrs of experience then you have a better chance coming out ok than a rookie trying to experience kickback.
Just as most all of us have learned to drift a car by getting sideways on a dirt rd or in a snow covered parking lot. I understand what the OP is wanting to do, it's just a difficult thing to stage kickback so it's "safe".

I've committed suicide several times like this

I don't advise depending on the brake. It may work, it may not. I use older saws all the time that don't even have a brake. Good balance, sure footedness, saw position, and a good grip are your best defenses. The guy in the video had one, maybe two of these.
I agree that those things help, but and that they are a great defense.
I believe that the first thing should be avoidance, not counteracting the effects of kickback, or being on the offensive.
If you can avoid it then you don't have to defend it.

I've committed suicide several times like this
As soon as I saw you commented, I had a feeling I was the target :laugh:.
How are you sir. Are you nimble enough to get out of the way of a major kickback, are you feeling lucky today :).

Back