Specific Chainsaw Safety Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farmer_Nate

Better Saws are Better...and Gut that Muffler!
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am honestly curious about a specific safety issue with respect to staying out of the "line of fire" of a chainsaw.

If you imagine the chainsaw bar extended out in all directions as an infinitely large flat invisible plane, wouldn't that plane cross through your arms, legs, and body at various times while using the saw?

I think some posters here have said something about keeping their body in certain positions to stay out of the way of a chainsaw bar in order to stay safe.
I don't understand this, and want more info.

How does one use a standard chainsaw if one doesn't hold onto the bar with both hands and cut something in front of him or nearby?

I can understand not leaning over a saw bar, such as all the way across a felled log, and risking falling onto it while the chain is moving, but what are people talking about otherwise? I can't imagine using a saw very long holding the saw sideways so that if kickback occurs, the bar doesn't kick back toward my head and neck.

Are there any pictures in a manual anywhere I can view?

For me the chain is slightly right of my right arm, body leaned slightly to the left. This keeps the head out of the chain's path. The kickback is less likely to run around to your arm before you catch it, than it is your head.
Additionally if you use a longer bar and stand up to buck, you don't have the awkward pivoting of the bar which can grab the top tip on some other log and kickback.

Example from this extremely hokie workplace video:
1692729495118.png

And a decent overall cutting tips video from BBR (love or hate him)

I am honestly curious about a specific safety issue with respect to staying out of the "line of fire" of a chainsaw.

If you imagine the chainsaw bar extended out in all directions as an infinitely large flat invisible plane, wouldn't that plane cross through your arms, legs, and body at various times while using the saw?

I think some posters here have said something about keeping their body in certain positions to stay out of the way of a chainsaw bar in order to stay safe.
I don't understand this, and want more info.

How does one use a standard chainsaw if one doesn't hold onto the bar with both hands and cut something in front of him or nearby?

I can understand not leaning over a saw bar, such as all the way across a felled log, and risking falling onto it while the chain is moving, but what are people talking about otherwise? I can't imagine using a saw very long holding the saw sideways so that if kickback occurs, the bar doesn't kick back toward my head and neck.

Are there any pictures in a manual anywhere I can view?
Kickback is your main concern. You want to keep all body parts out of the kickback arc. Speaking as a southpaw chainsaws are designed to be used right handed ONLY. Just for grins pick up a non-running saw left-handed and see where the kickback arc is.

Did you ever run a wire wheel and get stabbed by the little wire-darts they throw? That.
Keep your legs and feet clear, no bucking things only held with your feet.

This is my new favorite video, after trying last week to explain kickback to someone without a common language,
then I was trying to demonstrate kickback, how the brake works
and suddenly I worried he might think I TOLD him to do that... omg no...
10 minutes trying to explain, then he watched this and cannot unsee. I love it!

One rule I have, not to run a saw when fatigued. Hot in FL, easy to get whipped so hard you're dragging.
Example, the ported (chinesium) 660, that saw is a beast even when you're fresh. Trim saw, meh.

I hand it to him for noping-out. A man has GOT to know his limitations.
You see motorcycles for sale, same story. One time a-l-m-o-s-t and never again. 😚:hi:

Strange to me that people don't understand the concept of a diaphragm carb being universal position, he could have turned the saw upside down and had a nothingburger for dinner.

anyone who believes that they can stop a violent kickback before the saw is coming at them is sadly mistaken. Especially with a fast saw and a short bar. Not even Bruce Lee can.

left arm straight with elbow locked is how that saw will hopefully go up and over your head rather than into your upper body. Standing off to the side with a bent left arm is a very weak position.

Latest posts

Back