Chain Tensioner Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuskyShepherd2016

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello. I have a question about chain tensioners. I am definitely expecting some people to laugh at the question. This is purely in theory and I do not ever plan on actually doing something like this unless it was possibly an emergency and there was no other way around it but:

Is it possible to operate a chainsaw without a tensioner in a pinch if one breaks in a somewhat secure fashion? Example: a tensioner that’s mounted on a clutch cover instead of the oiler at the power head, like a Mcculloch 10-10. And the brackets holding the tensioner fail, but the clutch cover isnt too compromised to be used to secure the bar.

If that somehow fails, is there a way to keep a somewhat reasonable amount of chain tension with just the nuts? Could a screwdriver be used as a tightening lever somehow, then tighten the nuts? Is there a trick that will work besides replacing the broken clutch cover or using a different saw?

The reason I’m asking is because I have seen people run chainsaws with little trouble without a clutch cover, but those were saws with the chain tensioner mounted to the power head though, and not the clutch cover, and it could still be used for a short amount of time. I was wondering if the reverse could be done too.

Again, I don’t plan on actively doing this ever. But I am just wanting to know if a method exists.

Thanks all

Heck ya, the tensioner does not hold much, its the clamping force of the nuts that hold the bar in position, if you were to run the saw with the bar nuts loosened the tensioner would be bent like a pretzel.
Thanks. Again, I definitely prefer it being done right, but it was more a question of physics. lol!😂

A chain tensioner on a chain saw is not really a chain tensioner in the way one is on a cam chain in a car engine, it is a bar positioning aid to obtain the right chain tension. Once the bar is clamped the chain tensioner rattles loose anyway, its job is done once the bar is clamped with the bar nuts. So there is nothing wrong with getting the right tension by holding the bar and clamping the bar nuts tight; we replace them when broken or lost simply because they are cheap (right there is the indication they actually do little) and make positioning the bar so much easier.

A chain tensioner on a chain saw is not really a chain tensioner in the way one is on a cam chain in a car engine, it is a bar positioning aid to obtain the right chain tension. Once the bar is clamped the chain tensioner rattles loose anyway, its job is done once the bar is clamped with the bar nuts. So there is nothing wrong with getting the right tension by holding the bar and clamping the bar nuts tight; we replace them when broken or lost simply because they are cheap (right there is the indication they actually do little) and make positioning the bar so much easier.
I’m glad OSHA isn’t here listening to these logical and real world common sense responses.

Thanks!

“we replace them when broken or lost simply because they are cheap“. 👍

Note that Homelite sold lots of saws that never had chain tensioners. Several other MFGs did as well. When the chain loosened up, the operator loosened the bar nuts, manually took up the slack and then tightened the bar nuts again. It works even today if you your screwdriver isn't handy.

i've only seen 1 fail on my stihl 029. simple fix , i think i am on my 6th saw, maybe 7. that was my 2nd saw near when i wore it out. buy a spare saw or spare parts to keep on hand. ive also had the AV break.

Tensioner is a convenience device. It can be done with out it, but it sure is easier with it.
I’ve never really tried to tension one without it because I’m afraid I would damage something, based off of my luck I have tensioning belts on my old chevies, they’re always either way too tight, or not enough. I’m terrible at finding that happy medium with just my hands and eyeballs! lol!
Pioneerguy likes a tight pair of nuts........
I’d rather mine not be loose, especially when using the Bandit 1890 Intimidator.

Hello. I have a question about chain tensioners. I am definitely expecting some people to laugh at the question. This is purely in theory and I do not ever plan on actually doing something like this unless it was possibly an emergency and there was no other way around it but:

Is it possible to operate a chainsaw without a tensioner in a pinch if one breaks in a somewhat secure fashion? Example: a tensioner that’s mounted on a clutch cover instead of the oiler at the power head, like a Mcculloch 10-10. And the brackets holding the tensioner fail, but the clutch cover isnt too compromised to be used to secure the bar.

If that somehow fails, is there a way to keep a somewhat reasonable amount of chain tension with just the nuts? Could a screwdriver be used as a tightening lever somehow, then tighten the nuts? Is there a trick that will work besides replacing the broken clutch cover or using a different saw?

The reason I’m asking is because I have seen people run chainsaws with little trouble without a clutch cover, but those were saws with the chain tensioner mounted to the power head though, and not the clutch cover, and it could still be used for a short amount of time. I was wondering if the reverse could be done too.

Again, I don’t plan on actively doing this ever. But I am just wanting to know if a method exists.

Thanks all
Sure you cud tighten the mount nuts while tensioning with a scrench, or another wedge device, if tensioner prong was removed from saw..... wud just be tougher to get correct...

Chain tensioners are like keys on flywheels- handy to have, do the job they are designed to do- but not 100% necessary.
Ask anyone that has run a 2## series Husqvarna and spend a lot of time looking for the bolt out of a front mounted adjuster in amongst a truck load of firewood and sawdust on the ground- you can give up and go home, or figure out a way to pull the chain tight enough and do up the bar stud nuts to carry on. :laugh:

Latest posts

Back