How was I supposed to know that?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many people have ever beaten themselves to death with a hammer? Just sayin..
People have been beaten to death with hammers wielded by another person in the past. Your analogy about motorcycles I find meritless as well. I own 3 bikes and have been riding since I was 16 and I'm 76 now.

One thing I realized early on and that is, when you are riding a bike, you are the lowest hanging fruit on a tree and you will get injured or hurt badly in any accident concerning a motor vehicle. How it is, 30 mph or 200 mph, makes no difference. Far as I'm concerned, going 200 mph on anything or in any vehicle is insane anyway unless it's on a closed course, certainly not on the highway.

Fools die every day, especially stupid fools.

Far as chainsaws go, you injure yourself or someone else, the onus of responsibility rests solely on you and no one else. Like I stated previously, there is already too much un needed licensing and regulatory bs now. Lets not add to it just because people are stupid.

Kind of reminds me of PTO shafts and all the now required guards that just add to the cost of them. If you are stupid enough to get wound up in a rotating pto shaft, again, the onus of responsibility lies with you and you alone.

It's called being responsible for your own actions and that is something that is sorely lacking today no matter what it is. Chainsaws, motorcycles or PTO shafts, all have that one common denominator, stupidity.

You'd be amazed how many new owners of tractors never bother to read their owners manuals, especially those who buy smaller, suburban type tractors which are commonly referred to as 'compact' or CUT tractors. They spend thousands of dollars on them and the owners manuals get tossed in a drawer somewhere or discarded but then when issues arise, they go back on the dealer and complain.

I deliver new tractors for my Kubota-Case dealer and one thing I do upon delivery is I have a new owner sign for the owners manuals as well as a release that states they are aware of the safe operation of said unit. Don't have to do that with large ag tractors because when an operator spends over 100 grand for a new tractor, you better believe they will read the owners manuals and abide by them. I do find it amazing, the level of stupidity exhibited by people, especially those who buy small tractors.

Case in point are the smaller tractors (over 26 horsepower) that now have selective catalytic reduction on them and common rail high pressure injection pumps. There is a very specific procedure when it comes to regeneration, that is incinerating the accumulated soot in the DPF and if it's not followed, the tractor will derate and a trip to the dealer to correct that will be necessary.

I'd say a full 75% of my dealer's repairs are a direct result of owners not reading their owners manuals and not following the plainly spelled out procedure to implement that. Of course you have to read the owners manual to understand that procedure, not take that manual and put it in a drawer somewhere and forget about it. Don't play that way.

I don't like the current state of regulations concerning emissions but it is what it is. and candidly, if you follow the specific guidelines spelled out in the owners manual, it is seamless. However, if you don't and never bother reading it, then you WILL have issues.

Far as saws go, he sells Echo and I have to say that the junk that comes in for repairs amazes me. Stuff I see in the shop is generally flogged or straight gassed or just flat out abused.

Amazing how people treat their saws and tractors too.

I could go on forever but I won't.

People have been beaten to death with hammers wielded by another person in the past. Your analogy about motorcycles I find meritless as well. I own 3 bikes and have been riding since I was 16 and I'm 76 now.

One thing I realized early on and that is, when you are riding a bike, you are the lowest hanging fruit on a tree and you will get injured or hurt badly in any accident concerning a motor vehicle. How it is, 30 mph or 200 mph, makes no difference. Far as I'm concerned, going 200 mph on anything or in any vehicle is insane anyway unless it's on a closed course, certainly not on the highway.

Fools die every day, especially stupid fools.
Been beaten to death with a hammer, is completely different than beating ones self to death with a hammer. One scenario requires an aggressor, the other, just requires solo stupidity.
" How it is, 30 mph or 200 mph, makes no difference. " Exactly!! Thanks for helping me make my point!! Doesn't matter what you're on.. Just as it doesn't matter whether it's a plug in the wall electric saw, or an 80 CC saw.. Screwing up can be fatal!

Then there are guns!
I can't disagree with you there.. In the USA, gun ownership is fortunately protected by the second amendment .. Up here, in the "Great White North", I need to have a certificate to buy a pellet gun that exceeds 495 Ft per second. Seriously. I can't buy any type of gun without a permit. That permit requires a gun handling course, I can't hunt, even with a pellet gun that is 495 FPS or less, without the proper permit. I literally need a permit to buy an air rifle that will actually put a hole in a pop can.

I need to have a certificate to buy a pellet gun that exceeds 495 Ft per second. Seriously. I can't buy any type of gun without a permit. That permit requires a gun handling course, I can't hunt, even with a pellet gun that is 495 FPS or less,
Sucks to be you.... I do not have that issue...yet.

I know I complain a lot about dirty chainsaws but I rebuild them for people and spend more time cleaning than I do rebuilding. Some of the time I think that the amount of dirt on them was the main thing that caused them to need rebuilt.
just did a husky 51 for a guy and the cooling fins were
full of crap .why did his saw burn up?

When it comes to people today, it's always the 'stupid is as stupid does' mentality. I see that on this forum as well as the 2 other forums I frequent.

I find it amazing that some idiots can even put their pants on correctly.
I wonder why out of millions of sperm cells why is the stupid one the first one to reach the egg.

Interesting question... Where I live, unfortunately, you can take your test on a 125 CC bike, and then go out and ride a 1,000 CC "Donor Bike". Personally, I think that that is wrong.. just plain wrong.. It should be a graduated license system. At local Community Colleges, they offer weekend courses, taught on 125 CC bikes ( yeah.. cause they get dropped LOL). But again, getting off anything on 2 wheels at 30 M.P.H. usually causes the same results. That was my point in referring to chainsaws.. When you "oops!" , size doesn't matter. Chainsaws, just like motorcycles, are just too dangerous to just let anyone who can afford one, to use one.
Anyone who has $300.00 can buy something that is capable of inflicting more pain and injury, than they could possibly imagine.
I guess it's kinda like the consumer perception of risk.. " It's just a scooter!! What could go wrong?!!" "It's just an electric chainsaw!! .. what could go wrong?!" See what I mean? Even the smallest gas powered saw can "eff you up in a heartbeat.. And, that's just the saw.. Never mind what the tree that you are cutting can do to you. Barber chair, etc..
Circular saw, table saw ,band saw ,drill and so on can be dangerous also ,where do you draw the line ?

Circular saw, table saw ,band saw ,drill and so on can be dangerous also ,where do you draw the line ?
In our present culture we live under "lowest-common-denominator" rule, anything that is perceived to be a safety issue has laws and regulations to protect the most inept humans from injuring themselves and we all have to live by it. Someone in a drive-through spills hot coffee on themselves and sues the franchise so now we all get served coffee that isn't hot enough to cause injury. If we buy or use something that might cause injury, the only consideration should be, who does it present a danger to? If it's just the buyer, that's OK, maybe an injury due to personal error will be a learning experience, however, if the purchase or use of something that has a good chance of injuring some one else if operated incorrectly, that's a different thing. Hammers and chainsaws, use at your own risk. Guns and cars require training.
A buddy just bought an electric wood splitter and the manufacturer was so concerned to make it idiot foolproof safe that it is almost unusable. Modern living.

In our present culture we live under "lowest-common-denominator" rule, anything that is perceived to be a safety issue has laws and regulations to protect the most inept humans from injuring themselves and we all have to live by it. Someone in a drive-through spills hot coffee on themselves and sues the franchise so now we all get served coffee that isn't hot enough to cause injury. If we buy or use something that might cause injury, the only consideration should be, who does it present a danger to? If it's just the buyer, that's OK, maybe an injury due to personal error will be a learning experience, however, if the purchase or use of something that has a good chance of injuring some one else if operated incorrectly, that's a different thing. Hammers and chainsaws, use at your own risk. Guns and cars require training.
A buddy just bought an electric wood splitter and the manufacturer was so concerned to make it idiot foolproof safe that it is almost unusable. Modern living.
I'm sorry you are going through that.
I miss the old USA and Canada!

A year ago I bought a nearly new Poulan that was sold for parts because it was too badly damaged to repair. The chain brake had inadvertently been set and the owner was too clueless to figure it out. He repeatedly tried everything to get it to rev up and tried again the next day, eventually gave up and said it was just a Poulan POS and bought a Stihl. Clutch got so hot it melted all the surrounding plastic, destroyed the clutch springs, the chain brake, the oil pump and mounting plastic. When asked if the smoke didn't concern him, said "it's a 2-stroke, don't they all smoke a lot?"

The reversing lever/handle was the one that really broke me up, Huskvarna 266 with the metal brake lever sitting on the bench when a guy comes in with an old Craftsman non chainbrake saw needing fuel lines, picks up the 266 and proclaims, these new saws with the reversing levers must be very handy for getting out of bar jams/pinches.

Latest posts

Back