Possible new bad gas. What should I do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ace4059

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had three saws that would not run yesterday after refilling the fuel tanks. I am wondering if I got bad gas. How would I tell if so? How would I prove bad gas? And I am looking for advice. Any way to test the gas?

Saws are Stihl, MS 261 CM, MS 400 CM, and a MS 500i with a manufacturer recommendation of running 50:1 fuel mix.

I would like to be thorough and explain all events leading up to my three saws quit running. This will be long winded but I want all the information given to you so I can get good replies that are helpful because maybe I am over looking something on my part and will be obvious to others.
I use non ethanol 91 octane gas for my saw. Only one station in town sells premium ethanol free fuel. I wanted fresh gas before cutting my firewood for the year.
On Friday 03/01/2024, I go by the gas station that sells the premium 91 octane ethanol free fuel to buy gas for my small engines.
They have a dedicated line/hose for the non ethanol gas but I still pump one gallon into my vehicle since they sell both 87 and 91 octane of non ethanol gas and I want to make sure I’m getting gas pumped from the 91 tank into my gas cans. Basically clear out the “old” gas from the hose. Vehicle tank is 75% full and I pumped in one gallon of fuel.
I have a 5 gallon gas tank and I add red armor 2 cycle oil into the gas can. 3.2 oz of oil per gallon of gas. I measured three “servings” of the proper oil amounts from the 16 oz container and pour it into the gas can. Total oil amount was the 9.4 ozs. I am very cautious as to mix the appropriate amount of oil to the gas can. I add 3.1 gallons of gas (pump reads 4.1 gallons because I added the one gallon to my jeep). With the fuel and amount of oil I added this should give me right at a 40:1 mix.

Next I have a VP racing fuel can that holds 6 gallons. I put close to 6 gallons of fuel into this can per the reading on the fuel pump. This leaves quite a bit extra room at the top with air which I am fine with because I don’t want any spills in my jeep.
I noticed the gas cans seemed “low” after “filling them” I had 3.1 gallons in a 5 gallon fuel can (only used for mixed gas and this was empty when I put the fresh gas in it). So common sense, I would think it would be over 1/2 full. I know the gas can can hold more more than it’s listed because manufacturers leave room for air. But this was less than half full. Then the VP fuel can has markings on the plastic with graduates gallon markers. This was showing a hair over 5 gallons and I almost put 6 gallons in it per the gas pump. So this did raise an eyebrow but then again I questioned how accurate these markings are on the fuels cans. No way to be sure if I received the correct amount of gas but I figured the gas station pump is calibrated and is dispensing the correct amount of gas and the plastic fuel container reading on the side isn’t accurate so I pretty much blew it off. Those plastic containers do swell a little in the summer so I told myself the reading on the cans probably aren’t accurate.

So now Sunday I go to cut wood. The three saws have gas in them from the last time I used them. The fuel level in the tanks are ranging from 3/4+ of a tank to 1/2 full so I top all three off with the new gas. They run fine. No problems.
The 261 runs out of fuel first and I refuel. I only have mixed fuel on site and I am very cautious not to straight gas the chainsaws. I personally am the one to fuel the saws. The 261 gets a full tank of new fuel, and I top off the other 2. The 400 gets about half tank of fresh fuel (it originally had the most full tank to begin with, so it received the least of the new/fresh fuel on the first fill before starting). The 500 was about 3/4 empty so I topped it off again with the fresh fuel.

I start the 261 and a buddy is cutting with it. I’m taking a break and I noticed after a few minutes, it starts running rough and dies. He restarts it and it will barely stay running. He says something and I say something about the large temperature change throughout the day. It’s now 80 degrees outside and maybe the m tronic needs to be recalibrated. I recalibrate it and the saw is running better but not great. It runs for another few minutes for him to make made 5 cuts or so but isn’t running great. So I say let’s dump the fuel and re fill it since the first thing in my mind is maybe some saw dust got in the tank. I checked and tank was clean. I noticed when I opened the fuel cap on the chainsaw it was under a vacuum and I could hear the air sucking into the gas tank as I went to open it. The fuel was bubbling from the fuel filter. I dumped the fuel from the tank even though the inside of the tank was clean and I refilled the 261. The saw started and idled for 2-3 seconds then would die. If I tried to blip the throttle the saw died instantly.

I set the 261 to the side and tell him to use the 400 and I’ll see what’s wrong with the 261 when I get back home. He starts the 400 and begins cutting. I proceeded to start the 500i now that it’s been refueled and it will start and idle for about 1 second then die. I try several times With the same results. I can’t try the throttle because it dies too quickly. I started the saw 7-8 times, it would idle for just a second and die. So the 9th is so time after trying to start it, the 500 would not even start.
He noticed me having problems with the 500 and shuts off the 400 and says he doesn’t think the 400 is running like it did before re fueling.
We come to the conclusion that the only common denominator between the three saws is the gas. We go to the local ace hardware and buy a gallon of canned fuel. They only carried tru fuel. I bought one can of tru fuel 50:1 mix. Once back on site, I emptied the tanks of the gas out of all three saws and added the tru fuel to the tanks.
All three saws started with just a few pulls. All three saws ran just fine after that and didn’t have any other problems.

I still have the gas from the gas station, both the mixed gas and the regular gas. I kept it in case it damaged my saws or needs testing.
The vehicle ran fine with no issues but that one gallon was mixed with 15+ gallons of gas that was already in the tank.

I was concerned when I got home about the gas damaging the cylinder or piston on the saws. I pulled the mufflers on the 261 and 400. Looking through the exhaust port, the front of the piston looks great with no marks. I lowered the piston and was looking at the back cylinder wall and I think I see something. It looks the same on both saws. The cylinder is shinny in a few spots on the back and I *might* be able to see two vertices lines. I was reading on here about bad gas damaging the back of the cylinder and piston on the intake side. I was looking at the technical bulletins from stihl and echo diagnosing damaged pistons and these lines on my saws look nothing like the scoring on those pictures. It’s hard for me to tell if I have damage or just normal wear and I can’t get a decent picture with my phone and lighting.

Does this sound like bad gas? If it damaged the saws, would they even be running? I don’t has a compression tester but the saws did seem to run fine after using the tru fuel. No, these saws were not straight gassed.
Another thought I had was if I was “shorted” on the gas and I was mixing it at 40:1 to gain extra lubrication and the manufacturer only recommends a 50:1 mix, and I received less gas than what was shown to be dispensed then could there have been too much oil for the saws to run?
I might be over thinking this and concerned over nothing but if the gas station sold bad gas and damaged my saws, I would want them repaired. Would it be obvious if the saws were damaged and would I be able to see this damage through the exhaust port? Or would the saws need to be taken apart? Any advice would certainly be appreciated.

Edited to add: I noticed the gas bubbling in the chainsaw fuel tank. The bubbles were coming from the fuel filter in the tank. Not sure if the tank was pressurized or under vacuum but I could hear the hiss of air when popping the fuel cap on the chainsaw.

Easy test if it’s water. Fill a clear container. I use a clean mayonnaise jar. Let it sit with the lid on tight. In the morning the gas and water will separate. If not that, may be your mix.

Will I be able to see the water separation in the mixed gas since red armor has the red dye?
I might be able to see it in the VP racing can since it’s clear plastic without having to pour it in a glass jar.

Can anything else be wrong with the gas? What exactly makes gas go bad?

I will mention that when dispensing the gas into the fuel cans, the gas was a light color. It wasn’t dark and didn’t look old. I could smell it but I don’t know what bad gasoline smells like. I don’t go around sniffing gasoline so I don’t have the nose for it.

Non-E fuel is notoriously slow to turn over in the station's tanks, especially out of the way small town tanks. It just doesn't sell as fast as the less expensive fuels, and you may have bought months old fuel formulated for a different season.

Try a fresh batch of fuel from a station with higher turnover.

@ace4059 : I'm having a little trouble following your story as far as what actually could have transpired, so this line of thinking may be off:

Gas can markings aren't typically "off" by any significant degree, they're pretty accurate, especially in quality tanks like VP Racing. (I've measured gas on a shipping scale to get an average volume vs weight, and even "cheap" cans are accurate.) It sounds like your math somehow got a bit off and you didn't add enough fuel to the VP Racing tank, and instead of 40:1 you mixed 25:1 given the fuel can read 3.1 gallons. (And I'm not being critical, just looking at what you relayed and it seems this is likely the case.)

My understanding is an M-Tronic saw is going to have issues with 25:1, and from what I understand even 35:1 can be problematic. From my experience running that rich would result in the symptoms you're having, though I'm by no means "an expert." You could likely mix up a new batch of saw fuel and pour equal amounts of the new and "problem" fuels into two identical mason jars and see if there's a color difference--if there is you'll have a good idea of what likely happened.

1709592389991.jpeg

I know it’s a long winded story.
I was trying to say….

For the first fuel can,
Fuel was mixed at 40:1
3.1 gallons of gas to 9.6 oz of oil.

Yes, Saws are m-tronic

For fuel amounts, I went by the reading on the pump for the amount of gas I put in the gas cans. I did not go by the marks on the side of the gas can.

VP racing gas can was straight gas.
I included it in the story because that can has markings pertaining to quantity of fuel inside the can. I filled it with 6 gallons of fuel per the pump reading. But fuel can shows it was an hair above the 5 gallon line. No where close to the 6 gallon mark. That’s why I was saying I don’t know if the marks on the fuel tanks are accurate.

What I was trying to convey was the other possibility that caused this problem is there pump is not accurately calibrated ant this gas station. Maybe it is not dispensing the correct amount of gas.
If I bought 3.1 gallons and the pump shows 3.1 gallons dispensed, but if I really got a lower amount, let’s say 1.7 gallons (or some other low number) and I added the 9.6 ozs of oil to the fuel, then the fuel to oil mix is off. So it could be oil rich. I’m not going to rule out that possibility.

Edited to add: I noticed the gas bubbling in the chainsaw fuel tank. The bubbles were coming from the fuel filter in the tank. Not sure if the tank was pressurized or under vacuum but I could hear the hiss of air when popping the fuel cap on the chainsaw.
What you are likely experiencing is vapor lock caused by running winter formulated fuel on a warm/hot day. Be careful as this stuff will also create fuel geysers when you open the cap on the saw if you are not careful.

@ace4059 : My understanding is an M-Tronic saw is going to have issues with 25:1, and from what I understand even 35:1 can be problematic. From my experience running that rich would result in the symptoms you're having, though I'm by no means "an expert." You could likely mix up a new batch of saw fuel and pour equal amounts of the new and "problem" fuels into two identical mason jars and see if there's a color difference--if there is you'll have a good idea of what likely happened.
I used 40:1 Red Armor because that seems to be the general recommendation here.
That is a good idea on comparing two different mixes in a jar to see if I can tell a difference between the color and if my original is mixed oil rich.

I’m not worried about the 3 gallons of fuel or cost. I can dispose of that.
What I was concerned with is possible damage to the engines due to bad gas.

Edit combined posts:
Would the 500i experience vapor lock?

Just call weights and measures. Talk with them.

Bad has got three of my tools but only two seized up. One Echo 225 weed whip and my Honda 5.5 pressure washer that was low hours. They both seized as the fuel ran out. It was definitely E20 or more in E10 pumps. E85 can be 92% sometimes. Great if you have the big tuned injectors on a four stroke with overhead poppet valves and no oil loss 😉

They went lean. My Husky backpack blower got hurt but it still runs. Heard it get tight and I cut power immediately. It was knocking then it wasn't. Starts a lot easier now. Rings are toast. The others are parked. This was right before winter pump blend was released in 2023.

I’m not worried about the 3 gallons of fuel or cost. I can dispose of that.
What I was concerned with is possible damage to the engines due to bad gas.

Edit combined posts:
Would the 500i experience vapor lock?
Did you take something and wipe the oil off the far side of the cylinder before you've decided it has lines in it?

I'm just crossing the Ts.

Did you take something and wipe the oil off the far side of the cylinder before you've decided it has lines in it?

I'm just crossing the Ts.
No. I did not wipe off any oil.
I guess I can use a lint free rag and clean the back side of cylinder and then pull the spark plug and shine the light through the spark plug hole and see if I can get a picture to post.

At my age, bad gas is just part of life.
Usually stinks as well. I've never smelled a fart that didn't actually.

If I was the op, I would have bought a gallon of red Armor 40-1 0r 50-1 canned fuel and used that.

All I use any more and no worries about seasonal blends or mixing in correct ratio's of oil or getting stale gas. Canned gas, while it might be expensive eliminates all the frustration and possible issues of pump gas. All I use now and an opened tin of canned gas has a 5 year shelf life. Try that with your pump gas.

Take the weasel pee you bought and put it in your lawnmower or tiller and call it good.

Just call weights and measures. Talk with them.

Bad has got three of my tools but only two seized up. One Echo 225 weed whip and my Honda 5.5 pressure washer that was low hours. They both seized as the fuel ran out. It was definitely E20 or more in E10 pumps. E85 can be 92% sometimes. Great if you have the big tuned injectors on a four stroke with overhead poppet valves and no oil loss 😉

They went lean. My Husky backpack blower got hurt but it still runs. Heard it get tight and I cut power immediately. It was knocking then it wasn't. Starts a lot easier now. Rings are toast. The others are parked. This was right before winter pump blend was released in 2023.
Once you get over 10% corn alcohol in pump gas, it's death for small engines and there is no way in reality, a gas station owner will know because the corn alcohol is blended in at the refinery and you are 100% at the operator's mercy at the refiner. Modern ECM controlled engines can internally compensate for it and so can 'flex-fuel' engines. Small engines and motorcycle engines cannot. Why I switched to canned gas a while ago. No guessing, no issues and best of all, canned gas smokes very little and the exhaust don't stink either... and no carbon buildup on the spark screen or in the exhaust port-tract either.

I'd never buy any pump gas for my saws or brush trimmer, ever again. Far as my small 4 strokes like the rototiller and lawn mower, I add some ATF to each tank just in case.

In fact I just dumped 8 gallons of gas I bought in the fall into my ECM controlled car. It can adjust for the stale gas.

@ace4059 : I'm having a little trouble following your story as far as what actually could have transpired, so this line of thinking may be off:

Gas can markings aren't typically "off" by any significant degree, they're pretty accurate, especially in quality tanks like VP Racing. (I've measured gas on a shipping scale to get an average volume vs weight, and even "cheap" cans are accurate.) It sounds like your math somehow got a bit off and you didn't add enough fuel to the VP Racing tank, and instead of 40:1 you mixed 25:1 given the fuel can read 3.1 gallons. (And I'm not being critical, just looking at what you relayed and it seems this is likely the case.)

My understanding is an M-Tronic saw is going to have issues with 25:1, and from what I understand even 35:1 can be problematic. From my experience running that rich would result in the symptoms you're having, though I'm by no means "an expert." You could likely mix up a new batch of saw fuel and pour equal amounts of the new and "problem" fuels into two identical mason jars and see if there's a color difference--if there is you'll have a good idea of what likely happened.

View attachment 1159188
I have ran Mtronic saws at 32:1 with no issues. I have ran Autotune saws down to 20:1 with no issues as well.

Latest posts

Back