Gas life?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An oldie but goodie. In my situation, old tractors don't work. I need high horsepower productive tractors because I farm. No hobby here.

I've only got 40 acres, 1/2 is mixed hardwoods with some conifers. Fields/pasture, orchards, big vegetable garden use 2 bottom plow and harrow on it, harvest timber/small sawmill and firewood.

I have less into my tractors than some pay for new implements.

Fergy was $500

I paid $1000 for my 9N it came with: 2 bottom plow, spring harrow, rear blade, rear scoop, bucket tire chains.

I went "modern", a 1973 Ford 2000 with live pto and locking diffy, $2000.

I can work on them all with the tools I own. If you can't fix them with what's in the lunchbox size tool box, somethings really broken. They run on 5-10 gal non-e10 all day.

1 9n and ploq.jpg

Did firewood with a AC WD converted to a wide front end. Had a trip bucket and I got a cone backup snow blower out of the 40s or 50s also. Did a lot of forest and snow work with it. Had less than $1500 in the complete set. A little big, but a workhorse for me.

Love my PAS 280. I run alot of stuff off it since PAS system.
But mainly the power sweep for gravel after plow season on 700' driveway.

VPracing oil and efree for it. So far never a issue over 5 years.

Wife wanted me to get a wheel kit for her uses. So I bought her this much weaker stihl 55 (but works great for mini tilling). They should have put the better 94 on them. I like real 2 strokes.

They can shove that 4 mix up the wazoo.

View attachment 1149201
Have the same power broom attachment on my Stihl 4 mix 110 , for the same gravel clean up after plow season lol .

I know the 'Mack' had issues with her raw water intake getting clogged with ice. She is retired now, I presume? You live up north or are you a lower dweller? Those days are long gone and so are the sleds. I used to lake race a 1000 T'Cat back when I was stupid. Heck, I still have 4 motorcycles, 2 Triumph's, a Norton and a Kawasaki. Gonna sell all of them this spring, except the Norton. Take up too much room in the shop that I need.
Still have my 1978 Polaris 650 Triple RXL Starfire that I raced at Eagle River . Wish I still had my 69 Nortion 750 Combat Commando lol. Don't miss my Bonneville . As for fuel additives & 2T engines . Saber & my current go too oil Red Armor have stabilizers & dispersant . Sea-foam or Stabil in 2T engines causes carbon. The only use I have for Seafoam is within 4 cycle automobile air plenum fogging annually to reduce soot accumulation . As far as fuel bulk storage Startron is a good product that I have utilized in efuel or non efuel applications for my cycles & sleds . Reduces phase separation & acts like a bioIcide within my diesel applications . I also just witnessed it @ the Soo's I-500 Race on Caderette #21 ZR6000 sled application within their Red Armor & AV gas pre mix . Apparently they found it had enough merit to run it within their 3rd place sled . I have run it for 3 yrs within my Polaris RMK & SKS mountain & trail sleds fuel tanks that have oil injection systems running Interceptor injector oil , with good results mixed within the fuel in storage .

Way too old for that stuff anymore. Besides, running them on the ragged edge of seizure constantly always causes lots of issues. I still have my Bonneville and it has a sidecar attached to it. Only one of it's kind in this country that I know of actually. I own a 67 Norton 750 high piped scrambler with the Metisse oil in frame and it's fully restored and in pristine condition. Needless to say it's a garage queen, much like my Bonneville with the sidecar. The Norton has the optional double leading shoe front stopper as well.

Still have my 1978 Polaris 650 Triple RXL Starfire that I raced at Eagle River . Wish I still had my 69 Nortion 750 Combat Commando lol. Don't miss my Bonneville . As for fuel additives & 2T engines . Saber & my current go too oil Red Armor have stabilizers & dispersant . Sea-foam or Stabil in 2T engines causes carbon. The only use I have for Seafoam is within 4 cycle automobile air plenum fogging annually to reduce soot accumulation . As far as fuel bulk storage Startron is a good product that I have utilized in efuel or non efuel applications for my cycles & sleds . Reduces phase separation & acts like a bioIcide within my diesel applications . I also just witnessed it @ the Soo's I-500 Race on Caderette #21 ZR6000 sled application within their Red Armor & AV gas pre mix . Apparently they found it had enough merit to run it within their 3rd place sled . I have run it for 3 yrs within my Polaris RMK & SKS mountain & trail sleds fuel tanks that have oil injection systems running Interceptor injector oil , with good results mixed within the fuel in storage .
Love to see a pic of the RXL!

Love to see a pic of the RXL!
Don't have any pics of it unfortunately . It's the standard 78 Midnite Blue Express . The only difference between the 250 & 340 triples & the 440 & 650 triple fugi liquids RXL factory Starfires is , that the 440 & 650 had magnesium chassis & titanium bulkheads , where as the 250 & 340 were standand alluminium chassis & re-enforced alluminium bulkheads which were inconspiciously painted the factory blue , to hide the actual metal composition . The bare magnesium & titantium was a dead give away to the competition . Hell some of our drive clutchs & chain cases were magnesium in 78 . Also the engines were bolted directly to the bulkheads without motor mounts . To reduce vibration to the triple mikuni carbs , which also reduced fuel foaming & saved weight & lowered the centre of gravity on the 440 & 650 's .

Any pics of the Bonneville?
No , only had it for a few months , hated the lucas pos electrics . Had a BSA Lightening also same fate . Picked it up as a basket case , then flipped it for my 1st 1969 H1 triple . I have had over 50 bikes . I'am on my last cycle a pristine 98 Dynaglide with the 1340 EVO & dual belt drive . 18 original K . Will be buried with it . Heading to Kevins in East Jordon on it , this summer to see his saw shop in person , God willing !

Kubota makes a nice little tractor for hobby farmers.
Yes they do. Mine aren't really that little at almost 100 pto horses. Here is the other one... Matched set, sort of. Both have the same transmissions and engines and the wheels and tirer will interchange as well and both have loaders on the, Only big difference is this one has the optional down exhaust pipe while the other one has a vertical stack. Both take the same transmission fluid and engine oil and filter sets too. Both are perfect for my forage operation.

Attachments

• 100_0013 (1).JPG
    100_0013 (1).JPG
    404.7 KB · Views: 0
Yes they do. Mine aren't really that little at almost 100 pto horses. Here is the other one... Matched set, sort of. Both have the same transmissions and engines and the wheels and tirer will interchange as well and both have loaders on the, Only big difference is this one has the optional down exhaust pipe while the other one has a vertical stack. Both take the same transmission fluid and engine oil and filter sets too. Both are perfect for my forage operation.
Nice setup.

Just be careful with the Seafoam spraying it into the air cleaner intake. If your MAF sensor even gets a whiff of that stuff, it will destroy your MAF sensor. When I do ours, my Focus and the wife's Suburban, I remove the intake hose between the air cleaner, MAF sensor and spray it into the intake hose for the throttle body instead. Cheaper than having to remove the head (especially on the Focus and blasting the intakes with ground Walnut shells) and the Seafoam 'refreshes' the catalytic converter as well. I always have to clear the engine codes after I do that as the Cat will throw a code when you douse it with Seafoam. Stuff works well for that application, least for me it does. Seafoam sells the stuff in a pressurized bottle that comes with a curved straw and that is what I use in the engines. I got tired of holding the top down to drain the cans (takes about 3 minutes to empty one, so I bought one of those small bar clamps at HF and I put the can in that and let it empty into the intake. Beats getting a sore finger holding the top button down and I have my wife keep the engine RPM up so the Seafoam don't stall the motor. Once I empty the can into the intake hose, I shut off the motors and let them sit for about 30 minutes and restart them. You wouldn't believe the stuff that comes out the exhaust pipe. Been doing that for a few years now and both buggies seem to run better when they get 'douched' out. I do it at every oil change plus the Cat don't stink afterwards either. I dislike the smell of the exhaust that comes out of the tailpipe when a Cat is upstream.

I buy gas in the fall I like to keep 30 or 40 gallons around. I stored it for 2 years many times ran just fine. I use strartron a blue bottle. I will fill the generator let it set for 2 years and replace. I should have done a video a 272 Husqvarna set for 10 years never dump the fuel added little more. Started in 4 pulls ran great. I worked on small engines for a long time. I fixed a lot stuff just cleaning the entire fuel system out. I seen it all had kt 17 Kohler I bought on a garden tractor I notice a brand carburetor ran like crap. I found so much dirt in fuel tank. What I think happens people do not like to work and sabotage a machine. Why is we have white sand in fuel tank ?

Just be careful with the Seafoam spraying it into the air cleaner intake. If your MAF sensor even gets a whiff of that stuff, it will destroy your MAF sensor. When I do ours, my Focus and the wife's Suburban, I remove the intake hose between the air cleaner, MAF sensor and spray it into the intake hose for the throttle body instead. Cheaper than having to remove the head (especially on the Focus and blasting the intakes with ground Walnut shells) and the Seafoam 'refreshes' the catalytic converter as well. I always have to clear the engine codes after I do that as the Cat will throw a code when you douse it with Seafoam. Stuff works well for that application, least for me it does. Seafoam sells the stuff in a pressurized bottle that comes with a curved straw and that is what I use in the engines. I got tired of holding the top down to drain the cans (takes about 3 minutes to empty one, so I bought one of those small bar clamps at HF and I put the can in that and let it empty into the intake. Beats getting a sore finger holding the top button down and I have my wife keep the engine RPM up so the Seafoam don't stall the motor. Once I empty the can into the intake hose, I shut off the motors and let them sit for about 30 minutes and restart them. You wouldn't believe the stuff that comes out the exhaust pipe. Been doing that for a few years now and both buggies seem to run better when they get 'douched' out. I do it at every oil change plus the Cat don't stink afterwards either. I dislike the smell of the exhaust that comes out of the tailpipe when a Cat is upstream.
Good points brother . I only use the Seafoam once a yr to fog my in take plenum on my Cummins . Yes , the Mass air flow sensor also should be cleaned seasonally also , however seafoam is not the correct application lol.

I use Marine Stabil in my 4 stroke gas, always have, always works. Not the red stinky crap but the blue no smell stuff and if it sits in the gas cans for over 6 months, it get's put in the cars. Nice thing about automotive EFI today is it will adjust for about any gasoline, stale or not.

E0 bought for 4cycle engines should have a fuel stabilizer?
I have been putting some of this in at the pump.
https://www.echo-usa.com/fuel-oil-lubricants/red-armor-fuel-treatment
Helpful or not?
thanks
Never used it , however if its as quality a product as their 2T oil I would use it . 2 yr stabilizer is a solid statement . Startron that I do currently use has the same expressed statement that I have validated often . Depends on the price for the bottle .

Latest posts

Back