Gas life?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just be careful with the Seafoam spraying it into the air cleaner intake. If your MAF sensor even gets a whiff of that stuff, it will destroy your MAF sensor. When I do ours, my Focus and the wife's Suburban, I remove the intake hose between the air cleaner, MAF sensor and spray it into the intake hose for the throttle body instead. Cheaper than having to remove the head (especially on the Focus and blasting the intakes with ground Walnut shells) and the Seafoam 'refreshes' the catalytic converter as well. I always have to clear the engine codes after I do that as the Cat will throw a code when you douse it with Seafoam. Stuff works well for that application, least for me it does. Seafoam sells the stuff in a pressurized bottle that comes with a curved straw and that is what I use in the engines. I got tired of holding the top down to drain the cans (takes about 3 minutes to empty one, so I bought one of those small bar clamps at HF and I put the can in that and let it empty into the intake. Beats getting a sore finger holding the top button down and I have my wife keep the engine RPM up so the Seafoam don't stall the motor. Once I empty the can into the intake hose, I shut off the motors and let them sit for about 30 minutes and restart them. You wouldn't believe the stuff that comes out the exhaust pipe. Been doing that for a few years now and both buggies seem to run better when they get 'douched' out. I do it at every oil change plus the Cat don't stink afterwards either. I dislike the smell of the exhaust that comes out of the tailpipe when a Cat is upstream.
Your doing more harm than good trying to clean a GDI engine with seafoam.
I've used the Seafoam GDI cleaner and it didn't do a single thing on my wife's fouled up GMC Acadia.

I have to disagree with you. I've inspected the intake tract above the intake valves with my endoscope and there is always a reduction in deposits after I give it the Seafoam douche. you must introduce it at the throttle body intake, which I always do and conversely, it 'cleans' it cleans out the Cat as well. I have no issue doing it and I do it every oil change. I do it to my wife's Suburban as well. Same deal, at the throttle body. With a GDI engine and a dry intake tract, you will get deposits above the intake valves and the only other alternative is removing the head and blasting them with ground walnut shells, something I prefer not to do.

Your mileage and mine most likely differ but I know what mine is and I'll leave it at that.

I have to disagree with you. I've inspected the intake tract above the intake valves with my endoscope and there is always a reduction in deposits after I give it the Seafoam douche. you must introduce it at the throttle body intake, which I always do and conversely, it 'cleans' it cleans out the Cat as well. I have no issue doing it and I do it every oil change. I do it to my wife's Suburban as well. Same deal, at the throttle body. With a GDI engine and a dry intake tract, you will get deposits above the intake valves and the only other alternative is removing the head and blasting them with ground walnut shells, something I prefer not to do.

Your mileage and mine most likely differ but I know what mine is and I'll leave it at that.
I inspected mine with a bore scope as well.
Introducing partially combusted Seafoam to your CAT most certainly will not clean it out either and may actually make the situation worse. Seafoam is a light solvent with some pale oil added. Do you think burning oil will clean a cat out? If so there are thousands of Saturns on the road with pristine cats.

On subject... I have gas everyday and they always stink too.... I do like sharing them with my wife, every chance I get and she reciprocates as well....

Especially when in bed, under the covers...lol

I inspected mine with a bore scope as well.
Introducing partially combusted Seafoam to your CAT most certainly will not clean it out either and may actually make the situation worse. Seafoam is a light solvent with some pale oil added. Do you think burning oil will clean a cat out? If so there are thousands of Saturns on the road with pristine cats.
Like I said, your mileage and mine obviously differ and I'll leave it at that. Not going to change my regimen at all. I have no idea what the composition of Seafoam is and not being a chemist, I really don't care much. For me, it works and that is all that counts in my situation.

In fact, that is the only 'snake oil' additive I use other than Nano-Borate in the engine oil.

T
I'm still trying to figure out if gasoline additives even work on ethanol gas or are a waste of money? I can keep it for around 3 months, then it goes downhill from there it seems with no treatment. Funny how it will run good in my Honda motor on the splitter well after that.
The only current additives I use today that I swear by is Startron for ethanol fuel phase separation prevention in long term fuel storage up to 2 yrs & Seafoam for pre oil change degumming or sludge prevention , even with today's modern synthetic oil usage . I agree that seasonal use in gas engine intake plenums it does reduce build up also due to its solvency & Injestion via the vacuum line . As Ben stated its not 100 % one application cure however . Have no knowledge if how it would enhance cat performance or life cycle. I could see where it may actually be a step backwards within that application , even though its rated as catalytic Converter safe product lol .

Latest posts

Back