How was I supposed to know that?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reversing lever/handle was the one that really broke me up, Huskvarna 266 with the metal brake lever sitting on the bench when a guy comes in with an old Craftsman non chainbrake saw needing fuel lines, picks up the 266 and proclaims, these new saws with the reversing levers must be very handy for getting out of bar jams/pinches.
I need one of those had two saws stuck the other day.

IMHO, the scariest thing in the world, is, that anyone can walk into a Dealership, or Big Box store, and buy a chainsaw. No license required. Buy a machine that is more than capable of maiming you ... or killing you, and walk away with it. At least a Dealership, will half fill it with properly mixed fuel, and bar oil, and, hopefully, have set it up ( tuned it ) properly. A Big Box store just lets you go through the check out without a care.
I truly don't know which scenario is scarier..
You need a license to drive a car.. You need a way bigger license to drive a truck.. ( Training, testing, and certification ), but.. you can buy one of the most dangerous devices ever invented with no more than cash, or a valid credit card.
Seriously, ANY chainsaw purchase should require proof of proper training, ( certification). People think that a "small" chainsaw, isn't as "dangerous", as a "Big" saw. That's just so wrong.. It's like saying that a scooter is safer than a proper motorcycle.. BS!! Dump off a scooter, at 30 M.P.H., or, dump of a Hayabusa at 30 M.P.H., it's the same thing. You're going down, and going for a slide. A plug in the wall, small electric chainsaw, will open an artery just as quick as a gas powered one. Tons of chainsaws come with ( in the box), that guard to reduce kickback.. Yeah.. like anyone has ever put one on.
Let me be clear, I'm not in favour of any "Nanny state", Government interference into our lives, or of making our incomes.. But, "Customer States".. is an indication that some basic instruction, and certification, before purchase, might be in everybody's best interests. I'm not talking about weeks of training, or hundreds of dollars.. Just an afternoon of the basics.. mix ratios.. basic tuning.. how to hold and use the saw.. Most saws come with a manual, they show and explain how to do basic cuts.. But, there's no requirement to read the manual before yanking the starter cord.
Sorta on that note, I saw the thread about chainsaw injuries. I'll never touch a saw again without a helmet ( with ear protection ), chaps, and steel toe boots. I don't care how 'effin hot it is, I'll sweat, and take more breaks, but I'll never cut again without full gear. Ever.
I am not saying I want to see folks hurt themselves but there has to be some responsibility when taking on new tasks whether it be running chainsaws, shooting guns, riding motorcycles...the list goes on. That responsibility and preparedness, like protective gear, come as a choice. Otherwise, natural selection will work itself out over time.

I will certainly trust the dealer's word over a casual homeowner/user's word on the basics of operation and maintenance. But my two local shops are... interesting to say the least. One started as a Mac dealer in the late 50s. When I said I really enjoy running my 10-10 with a 24" bar he says "ooooh you're gunna burn that thing up. Too much bar for that saw, better with a 16" huh. Wish I had known that many gallons of fuel ago. (Sarcasm)

The stihl/echo dealer is another story.. I went in to get a chain and bought some red armor while I was there. He asked me what I typically use and I said Ultra since I've been given it for free. He told me stihl doesn't recommend using red armor. Yeah, bud. I'm sure they don't because stihl's name isn't on it. This is just before arguing about safety chain and trying to sell me some. And then saying I need to use a 2 in 1 file so I can do a better job. And asking in an accusatory tone what I ran .404 on.

For both of them it boils down to me knowing what I'm after when I go in and them arguing with me that I'm wrong, so I buy it from the internet instead. I wish I could support the local businesses but it's just not worth the frustration most of the time.

I will certainly trust the dealer's word over a casual homeowner/user's word on the basics of operation and maintenance. But my two local shops are... interesting to say the least. One started as a Mac dealer in the late 50s. When I said I really enjoy running my 10-10 with a 24" bar he says "ooooh you're gunna burn that thing up. Too much bar for that saw, better with a 16" huh. Wish I had known that many gallons of fuel ago. (Sarcasm)

The stihl/echo dealer is another story.. I went in to get a chain and bought some red armor while I was there. He asked me what I typically use and I said Ultra since I've been given it for free. He told me stihl doesn't recommend using red armor. Yeah, bud. I'm sure they don't because stihl's name isn't on it. This is just before arguing about safety chain and trying to sell me some. And then saying I need to use a 2 in 1 file so I can do a better job. And asking in an accusatory tone what I ran .404 on.

For both of them it boils down to me knowing what I'm after when I go in and them arguing with me that I'm wrong, so I buy it from the internet instead. I wish I could support the local businesses but it's just not worth the frustration most of the time.
Sounds like your dealers are catoring to the people @Chuksta is trying to protect.

Every time we idiot-proof things the universe invents better idiots.

IMHO, the scariest thing in the world, is, that anyone can walk into a Dealership, or Big Box store, and buy a chainsaw. No license required. Buy a machine that is more than capable of maiming you ... or killing you, and walk away with it. At least a Dealership, will half fill it with properly mixed fuel, and bar oil, and, hopefully, have set it up ( tuned it ) properly. A Big Box store just lets you go through the check out without a care.
I truly don't know which scenario is scarier..
You need a license to drive a car.. You need a way bigger license to drive a truck.. ( Training, testing, and certification ), but.. you can buy one of the most dangerous devices ever invented with no more than cash, or a valid credit card.
Seriously, ANY chainsaw purchase should require proof of proper training, ( certification). People think that a "small" chainsaw, isn't as "dangerous", as a "Big" saw. That's just so wrong.. It's like saying that a scooter is safer than a proper motorcycle.. BS!! Dump off a scooter, at 30 M.P.H., or, dump of a Hayabusa at 30 M.P.H., it's the same thing. You're going down, and going for a slide. A plug in the wall, small electric chainsaw, will open an artery just as quick as a gas powered one. Tons of chainsaws come with ( in the box), that guard to reduce kickback.. Yeah.. like anyone has ever put one on.
Let me be clear, I'm not in favour of any "Nanny state", Government interference into our lives, or of making our incomes.. But, "Customer States".. is an indication that some basic instruction, and certification, before purchase, might be in everybody's best interests. I'm not talking about weeks of training, or hundreds of dollars.. Just an afternoon of the basics.. mix ratios.. basic tuning.. how to hold and use the saw.. Most saws come with a manual, they show and explain how to do basic cuts.. But, there's no requirement to read the manual before yanking the starter cord.
Sorta on that note, I saw the thread about chainsaw injuries. I'll never touch a saw again without a helmet ( with ear protection ), chaps, and steel toe boots. I don't care how 'effin hot it is, I'll sweat, and take more breaks, but I'll never cut again without full gear. Ever.
You are wise on the use of PPE. I know some pros who think they are so good and experienced they do not need them. But even pros get tired and make mistakes. In less than a second, a chainsaw mistake can cause life-altering damage or death. Even with proper PPE, that can happen, but the odds are greatly reduced. The main danger with PPE comes more from what the tree does than what the saw does (barber-chairing, dead branches falling on your head, etc.) I knew a pro who was up in a tree limbing it when he cut through the branch he was tethered to. He did not survive that mistake. He left behind a wife and 3 young children, Very tragic! I am no pro but I own a tree farm and cut about 6 cords per year for firewood. I don't do the timber harvests myself. I have had to drop some leaners and that can be scary. My main safety rule is to never handle a saw when I am tired. I generally will saw for 2 hours or less and then load up the rounds. The latter part is more physically tiring but requires less thought. I use a Hookaroon a lot and I have to be careful with that. But at least the rounds will not jump back at me or cut my leg off!

You are wise on the use of PPE. I know some pros who think they are so good and experienced they do not need them. But even pros get tired and make mistakes. In less than a second, a chainsaw mistake can cause life-altering damage or death. Even with proper PPE, that can happen, but the odds are greatly reduced. The main danger with PPE comes more from what the tree does than what the saw does (barber-chairing, dead branches falling on your head, etc.) I knew a pro who was up in a tree limbing it when he cut through the branch he was tethered to. He did not survive that mistake. He left behind a wife and 3 young children, Very tragic! I am no pro but I own a tree farm ad cut about 6 cords per year for firewood. I don't do thee timber harvests myself. I have had to drop some leaners and that can be scary. My main safety rule is to never handle a saw when I am tired. I generally will saw for 2 hours or less and then load up the rounds. The latter part is more physically tiring but requires less thought. I use a Hookaroon a lot and I have to be careful with that. But at least the rounds will not jump back at me or cut my leg off!
And you shouldn't work alone!

Far as I'm concerned, there is way too much gummit regulation now. Don't need any more and far as chainsaws being a lethal weapon, so is a hammer for that matter.
No talking about it being used as a weapon. Just talking about using it ignorantly. Still, I am a bit skeptical about increased government regulation. And basic training is not enough anyway. One needs to know how to fell and buck trees under many different conditions. A 1 or 2 hour course will not cover that. Watching a few "idiots with chainsaws" videos may help some. It shows a few things NOT to do!

And you shouldn't work alone!
I agree. Sometimes I have to. But to increase my safety, I generally drag the logs into a field where I can buck them with no obstacles underfoot. It gets the logs dirty but I have learned to put up with that and cut from the clean side when possible. If I must drop a tree in the woods or if the branching makes dragging too difficult, I do get someone to go there with me.

I agree. Sometimes I have to. But to increase my safety, I generally drag the logs into a field where I can buck them with no obstacles underfoot. It gets the logs dirty but I have learned to put up with that and cut from the clean side when possible. If I must drop a tree in the woods or if the branching makes dragging too difficult, I do get someone to go there with me.
Keep cell phone in a pocket then.

Hopefully it's ridiculous overkill, but I keep some stop bleed items on my belt when I'm cutting any distance from the truck. Israeli bandage and a tourniquet.

An InReach Mini is cheap, and the yearly service costs very little as well. Priceless in some situations.

Sounds like your dealers are catoring to the people @Chuksta is trying to protect.

Every time we idiot-proof things the universe invents better idiots.
I know that's probably why dealing with them is so frustrating for me. Sure, I may be doing that stray from stock and don't make sense for the average user. But dangit can't they just sell me what I'm asking for? I may be a fool on a learning curve, but I'm not an idiot... hopefully.

I know that's probably why dealing with them is so frustrating for me. Sure, I may be doing that stray from stock and don't make sense for the average user. But dangit can't they just sell me what I'm asking for? I may be a fool on a learning curve, but I'm not an idiot... hopefully.
My dealer supports and encourages my insanity. It's win-win, I pay cash. Frequently.

When a dealer tells me there is no rim drive that will fit a Stihl026 because they never came from the factory with anything but a spur sprocket I take my business elsewhere, same guy wanted $25. for a sparkplug.
Laughing at the idea of $25 for a spark plug. Even if he's going to change it for you.

Laughing at the idea of $25 for a spark plug. Even if he's going to change it for you.
That outfit did not last long, neither the guy on the counter or the mechanic was worth minimum wage. They were slanted more toward selling new stuff to the unknowing.

The reversing lever/handle was the one that really broke me up, Huskvarna 266 with the metal brake lever sitting on the bench when a guy comes in with an old Craftsman non chainbrake saw needing fuel lines, picks up the 266 and proclaims, these new saws with the reversing levers must be very handy for getting out of bar jams/pinches.
🤣

Latest posts

Back