How was I supposed to know that?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old2stroke

Never too many toys
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Here's a few conversations with saw owners that illustrate how they kill or at least badly injure their saws.
----I like to warm it up good before cutting so I leave it on fast idle with the chain brake on until I'm ready to cut.
----I warm it up fast by just holding it full throttle for a few minutes.
----When I first got it, it was running rough at full throttle so I just turned the H screw in until it was running nice and clean.
----It won't run at idle without stalling so I just set the speed up to keep it running and then, if I have to put it down for a few minutes, I leave the chain brake on to keep the chain from running.
----Stupid chain tensioner didn't work, I kept turning the screw and chain didn't tighten (didn't loosen the bar nuts)
----Well both my snowmobile and my dirt bike have a tank for oil and I don't have to mix any oil with the gas for them.
----I lent it to my brother in law and told him not to use straight gas and he said "it wasn't straight gas, had some alcohol in it"
----Let see now, is that 20ml per gallon or maybe 50ml per liter, I'll just throw a little extra in to be safe.
----I think there's an air filter in there but you need a special tool to get the cover off so I guess it's not meant to be cleaned.
----The chain kept getting loose and I figured the bar was slipping so I just tightened the nuts more and more (stripped bar studs).

Probably the most common of all:

"I don't know how to sharpen chains/I think it's a tedious job. I just keep cutting with the chain I have, doesn't matter if it's not very sharp, I just push harder on the saw. Then I just buy a new chain... All that talk about filing is for obsessed nerds, if you ask me"

----It won't run at idle without stalling so I just set the speed up to keep it running and then, if I have to put it down for a few minutes, I leave the chain brake on to keep the chain from running.

A guy I know uses an MS170 (or was it 180) often for his job. He has the idle screw too high, on purpose, chain would keep running if he didn't use his chain brake all the time (which is also what you 're taught at official courses nowadays, if i'm not mistaken). This makes the saw rev up pretty fast. I get it, time is money, but the whole concept is still kinda weird to me. I rarely use the brake, I make the chain stop by holding it againt some wood when necessary.

My saws oiler quit working! Oh I bet the oiler works just fine, did you clean the sawdust out of the bar where the chain rides in? I had this little Hispanic guy who is a neighbor down the street say to me, ( I been running a chainsaw for 25 years and nobody ever tell me to do that!) I replied, Well today is a new day in your life and I'm telling you now! Clean that channel the drive links ride in every time you stop to fuel your saw and flip the bar every time as well! You just never know who's gonna teach you something new? Even if you have done it for 25 years, it doesn't mean you were doing it right all those years! 😉

"I liked the old saws. They would burn through the wood if the were dull". The customer actually said this to me when I told him the chain was dull.
I wish I could find the YT video of the guy trying to cut a log and either the chain was on backwards or it was cue-ball dull, because there was smoke just POURING off that bar and chain and it looked like the log was gonna catch on fire from friction at any second...it was hilarious. I originally saw the video here on A/S but I searched for it on YT and can't find it...

Here's a few conversations with saw owners that illustrate how they kill or at least badly injure their saws.
----I like to warm it up good before cutting so I leave it on fast idle with the chain brake on until I'm ready to cut.
----I warm it up fast by just holding it full throttle for a few minutes.
----When I first got it, it was running rough at full throttle so I just turned the H screw in until it was running nice and clean.
----Stupid chain tensioner didn't work, I kept turning the screw and chain didn't tighten (didn't loosen the bar nuts)
----Well both my snowmobile and my dirt bike have a tank for oil and I don't have to mix any oil with the gas for them.
----I lent it to my brother in law and told him not to use straight gas and he said "it wasn't straight gas, had some alcohol in it"
----Let see now, is that 20ml per gallon or maybe 50ml per liter, I'll just throw a little extra in to be safe.
----I think there's an air filter in there but you need a special tool to get the cover off so I guess it's not meant to be cleaned.
----The chain kept getting loose and I figured the bar was slipping so I just tightened the nuts more and more (stripped bar studs).
Also, most people around here don't know that it doesn't hurt to clean a saw once in a while..

i always like the customer that throws kid under the bus for breaking it, when we know for certainty that they were the ones from just talking to them
and if you sold the unit and comes in for any problem that is owner care related, will quickly say "you didnt tell me that!"

Latest posts

Back