Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you remember what grit was used when the Briggs were honed back then?

I’ll never know if it’s got oil blow by, being a 2 stroke, lol. Sound like the old Vega engine song & dance. I’ve never honed aluminum before, plenty of cast iron bores, and this bore is really soft. Hence the original question.

It had two score marks above the right transfer from running w/o an air filter & sucking something up, I’d guess. The intake & carb was filthy with no air filter. I’ve lightly polished out the high spots on the score sides with a wood dowel & 320 Emory, & now it looks great.

BUT it needs a final polish, by comparing it to the existing good area of the cylinder, as otherwise it is glass smooth.

I’m trying a manual polish with Emory cloth this evening, before ever using the cork mixed 500 Sunnen stones at light pressure. I won’t have the stones for a week anyway. It may not help it any, but I plan to use this one & not sell it. Sunnen claims the 500 bars removed no material & only polishes, using light pressure.

The chromed piston looks brand new after decarboning. The rings had worn down into the two scores over time, and they are the pinned type rings. The seller even said it ran great with 130# compression, which it did have. Could not see a thing wrong from a muffler off front pic!

Sounds to me you don’t have to do anything except put it back together, bad thing about communication through the internet is it is very hard to get all of the correct information,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you remember what grit was used when the Briggs were honed back then?

I’ll never know if it’s got oil blow by, being a 2 stroke, lol. Sound like the old Vega engine song & dance. I’ve never honed aluminum before, plenty of cast iron bores, and this bore is really soft. Hence the original question.

It had two score marks above the right transfer from running w/o an air filter & sucking something up, I’d guess. The intake & carb was filthy with no air filter. I’ve lightly polished out the high spots on the score sides with a wood dowel & 320 Emory, & now it looks great.

BUT it needs a final polish, by comparing it to the existing good area of the cylinder, as otherwise it is glass smooth.

I’m trying a manual polish with Emory cloth this evening, before ever using the cork mixed 500 Sunnen stones at light pressure. I won’t have the stones for a week anyway. It may not help it any, but I plan to use this one & not sell it. Sunnen claims the 500 bars removed no material & only polishes, using light pressure.

The chromed piston looks brand new after decarboning. The rings had worn down into the two scores over time, and they are the pinned type rings. The seller even said it ran great with 130# compression, which it did have. Could not see a thing wrong from a muffler off front pic!

No sorry, that was so many years ago, I don't remember. I think leaving things alone is best, polishing out scores and such takes the cyl out of round in spots which is not good for 360 deg ring seal. The rings will do the final polish of that cyl.

Its yours though and you can do what you want with it.

No sorry, that was so many years ago, I don't remember. I think leaving things alone is best, polishing out scores and such takes the cyl out of round in spots which is not good for 360 deg ring seal. The rings will do the final polish of that cyl.

Its yours though and you can do what you want with it.

I agree. The green scotch pad is way too coarse, so I hand polished the area with felt pads & Felpro clover 500 valve grinding paste. It ‘almost’ matches.

The only reason I pulled the jug was to clean the exhaust port & piston ring lands out, since it’s over 30 years old.

Like Stephen said, I’m putting it back together with new rings & no base gasket & then running the pizz out of it.

That may be the best clutch cover decal I've seen since they were on the store shelves!
If it is as good as it looks can you get a few high definition photo's of it?
Maybe we can have some printed up.

Mike

Just thought of something. Duh! :cheers:

Mike my son and his gf both have nice :envy: cameras. When they come in from college sometime. I will get the BB to model for some decal pics for us.

Will be awhile but will try to remember when one or both are here.

I put some new thrust washers in the 4000. The old ones were somewhat chewed. I wonder if someone set the lateral play at less than zero at some point.

Looking at the chain that came with it, I'm guessing the person who ground it was a bit aggressive. Angles between sides are way different and the cutters obviously got very hot. The guy didn't even make it back to a straight top plate as you can see they are still hammered down.
A file just glides over the cutters they are so hard.

IMG_0826.JPG IMG_0829.JPG

Yes it's likely done.

I see a lot of hammered down cutters that would be difficult to save in any short period of time since at least 1/16" - 1/8" would have to be taken off.

I think one guy said he has an air nozzle on his grinder to keep the cutters cool when grinding. I might try that.
Looking for suggestions other than throw it away.

Well, after cleaning up the P&C on the CRaftsman 3.3 I picked up, installing a new ring and rebuilding the carb, the saw wont' start. No fuel to sparkplug. Did a comp test and it was 90lbs.(%#&^). Didn't think cleaning up the cylinder that much would affect seriously affect the comp but guess so. Guess it becomes a part saw unless I come across a P&C.

Latest posts

Back