Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put some new thrust washers in the 4000. The old ones were somewhat chewed. I wonder if someone set the lateral play at less than zero at some point.

Looking at the chain that came with it, I'm guessing the person who ground it was a bit aggressive. Angles between sides are way different and the cutters obviously got very hot. The guy didn't even make it back to a straight top plate as you can see they are still hammered down.
A file just glides over the cutters they are so hard.

View attachment 624597 View attachment 624598

Ouch. No self feeding with that one... Looks like it was rocked or hit metal. I bet the damage was worse and what we are most likely seeing is what the previous guy tried to fix with a grinder. Seeing what the cutter looks like now I would say that he just kept grinding and grinding all at one time to try to get back to the good material. Still 1/2 a cutter left. I say put it on the grinder and straighten it out. There is a decent amount of material that needs ground off though. It may take 3-4 times going around the chain hitting each cutter taking just a bit each time.

Well, after cleaning up the P&C on the CRaftsman 3.3 I picked up, installing a new ring and rebuilding the carb, the saw wont' start. No fuel to sparkplug. Did a comp test and it was 90lbs.(%#&^). Didn't think cleaning up the cylinder that much would affect seriously affect the comp but guess so. Guess it becomes a part saw unless I come across a P&C.

Bob,
What all did you do to clean that 3.3 bore up?
I assume it is a hard bore, either nikasil or chromed...and not a bare aluminum one.

View attachment 625011 View attachment 625012 Here's one you don't see often. Like most craftsmans I've had it's seen light use and in great shape. Been setting on the shelf for a couple years. I'll be posting the progress

Those have been the hardest to find. Now have seen 5 counting yours.
Had a guy that told me looked for one for 2 years, So I sold him my first one.

Nice find. Will be saving your pics to the thread I have on them. https://chainsawrepair.createaforum.com/poulan/craftsman-3-7-60cc-24'/

It's a bare bore, sounds like to much got removed, possibly at the scoring, now there's blowby.

Steve
likely true. Was a gauge near the intake port that I tried to reduce with emery cloth. Must have created blowby as Steve mentioned. Other than that it's in great shape and was hoping to give it to my son. Likely look on the Bay for a parts saw.

Well hope to get out tomorrow. Will see if the 1mm stroke will make me keep the 385 or not. Going to compare it to my fresh rebuilt 505. Same bores just 505 1mm less on stroke.
Also 385 has quads like I like in the poulan 445. So I figure that will come into play too. Time will tell.

Little 3.3 craftsman chrome bore will be going for limbing saw too. The one like the predator 335 saws. ;)

p505h385.jpg h385p505.jpg

likely true. Was a gauge near the intake port that I tried to reduce with emery cloth.
Must have created blowby as Steve mentioned. Other than that it's in great shape and was hoping to give it to my son.
Likely look on the Bay for a parts saw.

I have a cleaned up bare bore 3800 I'm putting back together this weekend, if I can get a faucet hose to thaw out & finish cleaning it.
It’s a filthy saw all the way through.
FE872D33-C86A-4664-BB54-E41BC034221D.jpeg
I'll let you know how it did, or didn't, help the compression increase any.

Latest posts

Back